lrp spx stock spec >

lrp spx stock spec

lrp spx stock spec

Old 04-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
I'll answer some of my own questions first

Setting '6', with a track temp of 24degC, my motor was coming off at 50degC and the speedo was very warm, just enough to hold my finger on (without the heatsink).

Took the profile up to '7' and the motor came off at 70degC! while the ESC was 60degC

This was all with the same gearing as usual.

Several other guys were one pinion down.
This was on medium grip mid-size asphalt;

Several people commented it was a rocket down the straight and into the sweeper.

It does require the room to wind itself up to speed, so I'm not sure how effective it would be on smaller tracks or in off road where there aren't any large straights and grip is not as high as on-road.

Skiddins
Hey Skiddins, when running the SPX with 10.5T or higher turn stock motors, do you feel the SPX has "noticeably" less acceleration or punch as compared to Sphere TC at similar profile number?

What I am trying to get to is if Sphere TC with larger pinion gear at profile 7 or 8 could actually be faster than SPX overall. Basically, does SPX has a clear advantage over Sphere TC, or it is just different, not clearly better.

I would think since Sphere TC has less timing, it would have more torque than SPX. Can you or someone share your experience?
Old 04-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'll answer some of my own questions first

Setting '6', with a track temp of 24degC, my motor was coming off at 50degC and the speedo was very warm, just enough to hold my finger on (without the heatsink).

Took the profile up to '7' and the motor came off at 70degC! while the ESC was 60degC

This was all with the same gearing as usual.

Several other guys were one pinion down.
This was on medium grip mid-size asphalt;

Several people commented it was a rocket down the straight and into the sweeper.

It does require the room to wind itself up to speed, so I'm not sure how effective it would be on smaller tracks or in off road where there aren't any large straights and grip is not as high as on-road.

Skiddins
You deffo need to drop some teeth down (I had to drop about 2 in 10.5T), then the show starts. I would start with 4 teeth down and profile 7!? You'll see temps, if it's not too high then you can go some teeth back up. It's truth that you won't loose anything, when you drop pinion - it'll rev up on straight without problems and you will be at least as fast as with your standart gearing and lower profiles or TC comp esc.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by billythekid
Hey Skiddins, when running the SPX with 10.5T or higher turn stock motors, do you feel the SPX has "noticeably" less acceleration or punch as compared to Sphere TC at similar profile number?

What I am trying to get to is if Sphere TC with larger pinion gear at profile 7 or 8 could actually be faster than SPX overall. Basically, does SPX has a clear advantage over Sphere TC, or it is just different, not clearly better.

I would think since Sphere TC has less timing, it would have more torque than SPX. Can you or someone share your experience?
SPX contains special software for stock. It behave in this way - it has higher timing + it revs up much higher as with standart esc - looks like it doesn't have any limit on rpm. So you have to gear it lower to be fast enough in turns. In modified I don't think so that SPX can bring you any advantage - there is already enough power (ok - more than enough for most people).
Old 04-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by lochness42
SPX contains special software for stock. It behave in this way - it has higher timing + it revs up much higher as with standart esc - looks like it doesn't have any limit on rpm. So you have to gear it lower to be fast enough in turns. In modified I don't think so that SPX can bring you any advantage - there is already enough power (ok - more than enough for most people).
I see, based on what you said about unlimited RPM, it seems like SPX continuously adjust the timing depending on the throttle positions and actions, and would continue to increase the timing as long as you hang on to full throttle. Could I be right?

I am referring to stock motor, such as 10.5T, 11.5T, 13.5T and 17.5T.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

On my local track (home of the 08, 09 Reedy race) with a 160' straight, The SPX seems like it has a "second" gear down the straight with great infield punch to match. I even saw the same "second gear" effect on a smaller carpet track with a 100' straight. The TC is not even close on the straight but same on the infield, and NO other speedo has been close so far.

This weekend is the Reedy warm-up race so will see if anyone else's speedo step's up!!!
Old 04-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lochness42
You deffo need to drop some teeth down (I had to drop about 2 in 10.5T), then the show starts. I would start with 4 teeth down and profile 7!? You'll see temps, if it's not too high then you can go some teeth back up. It's truth that you won't loose anything, when you drop pinion - it'll rev up on straight without problems and you will be at least as fast as with your standart gearing and lower profiles or TC comp esc.
10.5 is a massive class in Australia and many people have bought this speed control for it, and I've never seen this many fried motors. Profile 7 seems to be too aggressive for most 10.5 motors, the exception (perhaps obviously) is the LRP Vector Stock spec 10.5... this is probably because it has less RPM to start with compared with novak/hacker/sp/etc

This is basically what happens (I've done 2 novaks to find this out). You gear down to start with (compared with TC spec) and the motor temps fine, I was running 50-60 on a hot day, then you either go up a tooth (which should run about 10 degrees hotter) or pick up some speed with setup and drive a bit harder and the temps get exponentially higher until catastrophy. To test that it was actually the profile, over the weekend when I melted one motor (running 38mm rollout), I put in a new one and pulled the profile back to 5 and it temped at 47 degrees with the same gearing. Interestingly, on profile 5 I did the same lap time, and the car was still a weapon down the straight
Old 04-08-2009, 04:26 PM
Tech Elite

I see, based on what you said about unlimited RPM, it seems like SPX continuously adjust the timing depending on the throttle positions and actions, and would continue to increase the timing as long as you hang on to full throttle. Could I be right?

I am referring to stock motor, such as 10.5T, 11.5T, 13.5T and 17.5T.
When I first fitted it and held the car in my hand I tried the different profiles, the higher stock profiles practicaly twisted the car out of my hands, the difference in rev's was huge, not just noticable but staggering.

On track where torque counts it was slightly less obvious, but I do need to try with different lower gearing.

Skiddins
Old 04-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CraigM
10.5 is a massive class in Australia and many people have bought this speed control for it, and I've never seen this many fried motors. Profile 7 seems to be too aggressive for most 10.5 motors, the exception (perhaps obviously) is the LRP Vector Stock spec 10.5... this is probably because it has less RPM to start with compared with novak/hacker/sp/etc

This is basically what happens (I've done 2 novaks to find this out). You gear down to start with (compared with TC spec) and the motor temps fine, I was running 50-60 on a hot day, then you either go up a tooth (which should run about 10 degrees hotter) or pick up some speed with setup and drive a bit harder and the temps get exponentially higher until catastrophy. To test that it was actually the profile, over the weekend when I melted one motor (running 38mm rollout), I put in a new one and pulled the profile back to 5 and it temped at 47 degrees with the same gearing. Interestingly, on profile 5 I did the same lap time, and the car was still a weapon down the straight
I always aim to have my motor at 50-60degC at the end of a run, any higher and problems will soon be arriving.
Try going down one profile or something.

Skiddins
Old 04-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Tech Adept

i ran the SPX last night for the first time with 10.5t X11. I tried profile 7 & 8 and lowering pinion 4,3,2 teeth from normal. I found that 7 & 8 were close when 8 was geared one tooth lower than 7. I ran a better laptime with the SPX geared at a FDR of 6.60 on profile 8 than the usual 5.5-5.7 i would run with the TC spec. Last nights track setup didn't have a really long straight but the car was noticeably faster than the TC-spec even with the much higher FDR.

I found the good thing about the higher FDR is the brakes become much nicer and you have more fine tuning.

No complaints here!
Old 04-08-2009, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

Forgot to say, I broke my personal record with the 'GP' layout by 14 secs!

I'm happy with it
Old 04-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Tech Regular

Awesome, guys. I just ordered my SPX and I should be able to test it this weekend
Old 04-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Tech Regular

I am now considering getting 2 more SPXs for my B4 buggy and T4 truck. Have you guys tried it with buggy and truck? Can you share your experience with SPX in off road?
Old 04-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

I'm happy with it
It wasn't the esc or the motor Damo, its the car You would of beaten your time over a year ago, but until you got rid of you know what, and bought you know what, that's when your times have plumited Good on you though mate
Malc
Old 04-09-2009, 01:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by CraigM

I'm running Trinity Duo and Lrp X11 Stock Spec 10.5T on profile 8!! and I haven't melted any motor yet (however my Duo came out of track quite hot few times). Truly I haven't tested lower profile than 7 on SPX - aren't first 6 profiles same as on TC Comp?
Old 04-09-2009, 01:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

I'm happy with it
There must been also something different in game - 14 secs just by changing esc is too much. You were driving bad or you had something on your car not working properly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.