Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LOST: Innovative TC design

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 05:53 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I remember when you could put a 30mm tire on an electric touring car.
Now you can barely put a 28mm on some.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Tech Elite

Sounds like what everyone would like is a revised version of the FK04.
A different style design (saddle packs and offset motor) that works really well.

With the batteries being heavier these days, the spur gear location (up kinda high) would have less % impact of the CG location.

Kinda wish I could get my 04 back and update the suspension to T2 parts (or as much as I could)
Old 02-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Tech Lord

Not to mention you can put a larger spur on for stock.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Tech Elite

You could use a smaller spur gear on the T2 if you wanted. Like an 80 or 82...
Old 02-03-2007, 08:26 PM
Tech Lord

Thanks for the heads up I ment SPUR.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the schumacher looks sweet. the only problem is parts support. getting parts for exotics like xray, tamiya, schumacher, corally is always a waiting game for us racers in the states. losi and associated will dominate simply because they make a great product, a very capable and competitive product with anything on the market today and getting parts is no problem no matter where you go. just my .02
Old 02-03-2007, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xtrememadness
the schumacher looks sweet. the only problem is parts support. getting parts for exotics like xray, tamiya, schumacher, corally is always a waiting game for us racers in the states. losi and associated will dominate simply because they make a great product, a very capable and competitive product with anything on the market today and getting parts is no problem no matter where you go. just my .02
what??? schumacher has one of the best parts support! I never had any problems getting Schumacher parts, same goes for Corally
Old 02-03-2007, 09:18 PM
Tech Lord

Extrememadness my thoughts exactly. Heres an observation. Buying Losi or associated you'll better support the local shops and tracks. No need for the net. And parts are a dime a dozen. As much as I would like to buy an Xray or a Corally I think I'm going with the associated and get back to some of my old roots so to speak. Not to knock any one else but around here things were great till we got away from Losi and associated.
Just walk to the counter.

Last edited by UN4RACING; 02-03-2007 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

You know, I've noticed that nobody has talked about the new Tamiya TRF415MSXX and it's air scoop that pulls air from under the chassis to better cool the motor. To tell you the truth, I think that's more innovative than simply making something more adjustable or in actuality..easier to mess up.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:52 PM
Tech Lord

The Xray T1R had it too. I think they all have it actually. With the cut outs and all. With ability to use fans these days I would just as soon have Less cut outs as far as carpet. On asphalt then the cut outs are more appropriate.
As far as tunability there can never be to much, I don't care how cross eyed it makes me.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If anyone thinks that an Xray, Corally or Schumacher is exotic they must have been hiding in a cave for the last 5 years.

You see a lot more Xray, Corally, Schumacher, Hot Bodies and Tamiya cars at tracks than AE and Losi cars nowdays.

As far as parts support...thats up to your local shop. If they are a good shop they KNOW that getting parts for ANYTHING is easy. I cant speak for other brands but I know if your hobby shop calls Schumacher before 4pm your order will leave that day and get to your shop as fast as you want it to get there. No minimun order quantity, no required opening order, etc. You want it we send it...its that easy. I am pretty sure Xray and Corally are exactly the same.

If you local shop fails you then you have a dozen places on the internet that sell Xray, Corally, Schumacher, Hot Bodies, Tamiya and anything else you could possibly want.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:04 PM
Tech Lord

Around here if you look at the shelves at any shop or track the net or special order is the only way. And if I want it quick I have to order it overnight.
So That's become part of my decision on getting an associated. Its the over the counter availability with out the hassle. Although on a competitive level, I sure wish there were more to choose from for us all.
I'll also add that you guys did an awesome job on the MI3. Keep up the good work. I can appreciate what you all do.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:35 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by muahdib4
Well, the fact that the battery is in the middle and underneath but still a 4-wheel drive, belt driven. I have to admit, it was a little different and did try something new. Kudos to Losi on that one.
But it did not pay off for Losi to be innovative and design a very diffrent car. Look where they are now, nowhere with probably poor sales. If not the people running Losi would be so stubborn and instead would have designed a TRF415 style car in 2005 they would have been in a much better place today don't you think? I also think it is good to be diffrent but after all, for a company, it is sales that matters.
Imagine a TRF415 inspired Losi with gun metal eloxed aluminium parts, the big Losi pullies etc. Makes sense to me.

If I would be Horizon (the owners of Losi?) I would supervise the Losi office to check what they are up to for the next TC car.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
The Xray T1R had it too. I think they all have it actually. With the cut outs and all. With ability to use fans these days I would just as soon have Less cut outs as far as carpet. On asphalt then the cut outs are more appropriate.
As far as tunability there can never be to much, I don't care how cross eyed it makes me.
That's just it...it isn't just a cutout. All chassis have cutouts but this is actually a scoop. Check out the pics. It forces air onto the motor and helps the motor stay cool which makes sense for Tamiya since ther TRF415 is THE dominant asphalt chassis.
Attached Thumbnails LOST: Innovative TC design-tamiyamsxxnurn3.jpg   LOST: Innovative TC design-tamiyamsxxnurn4.jpg  
Old 02-04-2007, 02:17 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

A big part of current sedan design is predicated upon the size/shape of the batteries and motors we use. If one or both of those things ever change (batteries being much more likely) it opens the door for a lot of new ideas. I think the FK04 and Type-R might be a good place to start, but far from where we'd end up.

Little changes like the air scoop on the MSXX, the adjustability of the Mi3, the ackerman of the T2'007 are good ideas, likely to be copied if they're successful, but those are just little refinements in the grand scheme of things.

I could see, as a distant possibility, other companies trying a design like the Type-R. It seems apparent that it's similarly competitive to the more traditional style design, and could prove to have an advantage with BL motors, and potentially not being affected by heavier or lighter batteries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.