Wiki Posts
Search

BATTERY PROBLEMS!! HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Hello

hello onething came to mind does your charger use a fuse if so check the fuse on the charger and make sure that is working right. But if you don't see a spot on the outside of the charger where a fuse goes then don't bother taking it apart as you may damage something.

Also I am assuming that you are running the tamiya lugs in the battery pack those are the white connectors check to make sure those didn't pop out.

Also next best investment to do is switch battery connectors to ultraq deans connectors or some other type of connector other than the stock tamiya plug. as the tamiya style plugs can over heat after time.

Also like my fellow wisconsin nite said check your motor. You might have something in the motor that is binding it etc..

thanks
andre vanlaarhoven
Old 05-07-2007, 06:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

yea. i just tried charging the battery pack today. These are my exact steps.

plugged the battery into the car ( tamiya plugs)

it ran at about 1/2 speed for about 45 seconds (with throttle pinned)

when it died i put it on my charger and checked the voltage and it read 5 volts.

i tried charging it at 3 amps and the second i pressed start, it said it was done.

the only way it will even try to charge is if i try the charge rate at .10 amps

HELPP!!!!
Old 05-07-2007, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Maybe your charger is messed up???

Do you have a friend who has a charger that you could borrow?
Old 05-08-2007, 10:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

no, so i think im gonna take it to the local hobby shop and see what they think.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:29 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Curious, it read 5V?

I would say if you have the time, trickle charge it at the low rate till it get up in voltage and lets you kick it over to a fast charge of 5 amps. Watch the mahs on it and make sure it takes close to a full charge. Thats an easy way to see if you are false peaking early, and if it does, just stop and start the process again. Packs discharged pretty low can do that a few times during a charge.

Did you run the pack till it was fully dead? If you did, especially a non-matched pack in stick form, you can do harm to the cells as all the cells may not be at the same voltage during that discharge, and one could go beyond the safe limit. I am also assuming the pack you have is not one made of high end cells either. I usually up the threshold on those 1mV per cell (usually use 5mV per cell) but on your charger not sure if you can do that.

If it was me and I had a buddy with a good charger / discharger combo, I would have him cycle the pack a few times for me. If I was real adventurous, I woudl break it up into side x side configuration and get a tray. For sport packs its probably not worth it, but, it will help alot in the long run And you gain some battery assembly knowledge too.

Before having my MRC 989 charger, my Reedy Quasar Pro was my favorite charger to find errors with.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

its a venom 3600 mah sport pack. i am using a dynamite vision ultra peak charger and it does not discharge nor show mah. the only way that my charger will charge the pack is if i charge it at .10 or .15 amps.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

do you have another battery to try it on?
Old 05-08-2007, 05:54 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I would see about getting another charger, one that shows you the current mah of the pack as well as voltage, etc.

A good cheap option would be the new MRC 960.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

what about the duratrax ice??? and can it be plugged into a wall jack? cause i dont like the dc ones that have to be used with a 12volt battery
Old 05-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

ok, i went to the hobby shop today and got a new sport pack. i made sure it was fully charged and hooked it up to my xxx-t. it ran fine for a minute and then got slower and slower till it stoped. so i know its not my batteries or charger. im guessing its my motor but have no clue what. ne suggestions??
Old 05-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Take that motor out and inspect the brushes. Your brushes could be so worn out that they briefly make contact with the comm and then get hung up. If the brushes aren't shot, they could be getting hung up by a partially distorted brush hood.

Do you have another motor to test??
Old 05-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

no, but i was planning on buying one anyways. any suggestions on a quick motor?? one that can work with the stock xxx-t esc.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Have you had the comm trued lately?

Buy whatever you think you can afford and you'll use.

Maybe its your ESC??

Wish I was there, we could have your problem solved in 2 minutes.

Another thought, do you use Deans or the Standard Tamiya Plugs? If the Tamiya's, do they get hot?