How do I build an off road track

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do I build an off road track

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 12:20 AM
Tech Regular

I have seen a whole track built from astro-turf(like the green carpet mentioned above) with a thin bit of sand mixed into it on a video, I think the vid was made in England or something but as gay as it sounds the guy's were hooking up very well and the poster said it was easy on tires AND it drained water EXTREMELY well, and it had plenty of cush for the big jumps.. It was a very cool looking track andvery easy to maintain..I was very impressed, the guy who posted it said that he lived in very rainy area and he said an hour after any rain they could run on it, which is a great point--hardly any cancelled races..
Old 05-19-2005, 01:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Post track surfaces

I am pretty sure that the astroturf sounds wicked.. but we can only use a dirt surface and was trying to find the best one. I once raced on a surface that was loam topsoil compacted and mixed with sump oil. The surface was extremely consistant and easy on tire with ensane traction and virtally no wear to the tyres..... WOW
Old 05-19-2005, 07:35 PM
Tech Master

HeY!!!

i raced on a track in mn. that was top soil and that, and the track broke down and rutted a little bit w/ electric, and also dryed out very fast... this was also indoors, but from like an overwhelming puddles on track it would just soak it up...
Old 05-19-2005, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

does playing on sandy track or sandy beach is dangerous for the engine and rotating part especially the bearing

Last edited by arghh; 05-19-2005 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:25 PM
Tech Rookie

We race on crushed lime. It packs well and after you wet it a little there is good traction. We can change layouts quickly and without much effort.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by SIRMAXXALOT
...the guy who posted it said that he lived in very rainy area and he said an hour after any rain they could run on it, which is a great point--hardly any cancelled races..
I which to have that kind of track that can dry fast, here we have to deal with some cancelled races from time to time...
Old 05-20-2005, 10:29 PM
Tech Master

Post Our Interclub

has just been cancelled due to a wet and muddy track that is almost 100% clay..... I really need to think of some type od sealer so we can just soak up the water and it doesn't become a muddy bog...

I heard gallons and gallons of vegetable oil may be the solution???
Old 05-20-2005, 10:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Re: track surfaces

Originally posted by memyselfandI
I am pretty sure that the astroturf sounds wicked.. but we can only use a dirt surface and was trying to find the best one. I once raced on a surface that was loam topsoil compacted and mixed with sump oil. The surface was extremely consistant and easy on tire with ensane traction and virtally no wear to the tyres..... WOW
Heya sir trower!

That track wasn't in adelaide was it, the old penfield park raceway????

Glenn
Old 05-21-2005, 12:21 AM
Tech Master

Post G'DAY MATE

Glenn,

thats right mate the old penfield park and also the 2000 Nationals Knox track, both were absolutely awesome.. I would love to be able to do that over here. but alas we are concerned about reprocusions with the epa