Wiki Posts
Search

Reinventing the wheels??

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 09:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
i dont agree with the same guy wins everytime in truggy i see diffrent people at my track win in that class i almost won.

i mean yea truggys are easy to drive but at least you can drive them hard it all depends on how the track surface is. truggys at my track just handle the rough a lot better i drove a buggy last year.

i had the same laps as 1st place and 2 place i finished 3rd thats close !
lol not necessarily saying the same wins everytime but im saying just no comp at most club tracks. Also having same lap times doesnt make you win i learned that last week its consistant and smooth rcing wins. I made exprt a main at my club day and was winning until i crashed once then dropped to 3 and eventually after another wreck last. Was i consistant with there times yes but there was no winning because i made my mistake and if the track is small enough you can make them up. Was i mad no way i was happy ass heck man, new engine and finally made a buggy day without issues in a long time couldnt ask for more. basically just enjoy it, yes try to win but dont kick ur self for loosing just be glad you didnt have a bad day. I could have been worst like winning and flame out or break.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:27 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809
lol not necessarily saying the same wins everytime but im saying just no comp at most club tracks. Also having same lap times doesnt make you win i learned that last week its consistant and smooth rcing wins. I made exprt a main at my club day and was winning until i crashed once then dropped to 3 and eventually after another wreck last. Was i consistant with there times yes but there was no winning because i made my mistake and if the track is small enough you can make them up. Was i mad no way i was happy ass heck man, new engine and finally made a buggy day without issues in a long time couldnt ask for more. basically just enjoy it, yes try to win but dont kick ur self for loosing just be glad you didnt have a bad day. I could have been worst like winning and flame out or break.

yea i dont care.. if i win or not i just like to have a good day but i do have 2 competiors in sportsman truggy but i think the other guys are slowly getting better. if they stop crashing lol

i just dint like driveing buggy to much at my track since its to ruff and rutty for me atleast but some people are better at driving a buggy on that surface there.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
i think its a lot to do with the track surfaces or its the ecomony of a state
not everybody has the skills to be good driving a buggy just saying .
Arizona was one of the worst states hit by the economy, we also have every type of track surface other then clay. Buggys are the same hit at the most blown out track to the smoothest track here. Like i stated it must be your track, 95% of the tracks out there will have a better buggy turn out. if you wanna use the economy as a argument its one of the worst arguments imo, Truggys cost more to buy. Tires are more, and it wears out faster. I personally club race buggy, if there is a series as long as the series is big enough ill do both and at all big races ill race both
Old 10-20-2010, 09:40 PM
TIX
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rpmhobbies
I am curious with the JC wheel and the outside "cap"....wonder if dirt, debris, grass, etc...will get "stuck" or "wedged" in between the wheel and cap??
i was thinking the same thing
its hard to see how they will stop them from getting ripped off during a race. if 2 cars come together running the same rims they could get wedged together
Old 10-20-2010, 09:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

That was also AKA's feelings in their video. They seemed to disregard that design due to the issue of debris being pushed in to the wheel cap area.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TIX
i was thinking the same thing
its hard to see how they will stop them from getting ripped off during a race. if 2 cars come together running the same rims they could get wedged together
that would be interesting to see ha ha
Old 10-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am just wondering why can't they just make the wheels with stronger and higher ribs (without hitting the hubs)?? Do we really need to reinvent the wheel here?
Old 10-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ganymede
I am just wondering why can't they just make the wheels with stronger and higher ribs (without hitting the hubs)?? Do we really need to reinvent the wheel here?
They are trying to make the wheel smooth like a dish on both the inside and outside to keep dirt from pilling up inside. This also gives them the ability to add more strength.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

I wonder if that was AKA's intention in showing the evolution of their wheel. They snub j concepts idea as already tried and passed over...........
Old 10-20-2010, 10:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Marzac2
They are trying to make the wheel smooth like a dish on both the inside and outside to keep dirt from pilling up inside. This also gives them the ability to add more strength.
Then the easiest way would be to design a wheel with two halves, both sides are smooth facing outside (one side is hexed, of course), while the insides are ribbed, fuse the two halves together... Tadaaaaa!!!
Old 10-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

fuse the two halves together... Tadaaaaa!!!
That would probably never, ever break
Old 10-20-2010, 11:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by one-eight
That would probably never, ever break
But, as Pavidis mentioned...you'd lose a tuning ability (which is something they were trying to leave as an option)...if you want flex, leave the inner disc out. If you want it stiff; install it.

The JC idea is fine, *but* you'll basically have to run the outer disc all the time except on a clean track.

I'm sure he created a "seat" or recess for the outer disc lip to sit in so it won't get flared outward and caught and/or create a dirt pack in the fins.

Losi used to use wheels like these back in the day, but they used a Lexan dish on the outside. You could leave them out, paint them, etc. Lexan obviously didn't stiffen the wheel like the new 1/8 setups do; but similar as far as the disc idea to keep dirt out of the spokes and moving the smooth side inward to increase stiffness.

http://media.hobzob.com/files/1155/v...0/IMG_8687.jpg
http://image24.webshots.com/25/8/38/...7ynsSep_ph.jpg
Old 10-20-2010, 11:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mblgjr
But, as Pavidis mentioned...you'd lose a tuning ability (which is something they were trying to leave as an option)...if you want flex, leave the inner disc out. If you want it stiff; install it.

The JC idea is fine, *but* you'll basically have to run the outer disc all the time except on a clean track.

I'm sure he created a "seat" or recess for the outer disc lip to sit in so it won't get flared outward and caught and/or create a dirt pack in the fins.

Losi used to use wheels like these back in the day, but they used a Lexan dish on the outside. You could leave them out, paint them, etc. Lexan obviously didn't stiffen the wheel like the new 1/8 setups do; but similar as far as the disc idea to keep dirt out of the spokes and moving the smooth side inward to increase stiffness.

http://media.hobzob.com/files/1155/v...0/IMG_8687.jpg
http://image24.webshots.com/25/8/38/...7ynsSep_ph.jpg
I am not aware of any full scale car racing that uses rigidity of wheels as an tuning option, as far as I know, all kind of car racing would want their wheels to be as rigid as possible, a soft wheel can easily be out of its perfectly round shape causes imbalance and erratic handling...

IMHO, we already have enough tuning options on our buggy (chassis flex, diff oil, shock oil, shock spring, shock piston, shock rebound, droop, suspension travel, toes, cambers, caster, wheelbase, sway bar, wings downforce, tire compound, inserts, etc). Soft wheels will probably throw out all your settings...
Old 10-20-2010, 11:35 PM
Tech Master

Other than chassis flex, diff oil, shock oil, shock spring, shock piston, shock rebound, droop, suspension travel, toes, cambers, caster, wheelbase, sway bar, wings downforce, tire compound and tire inserts.

Don't forget we still have:

From XRAY's offroad set-up book: rides height, track width, steering ackermann, bump steer, roll center, shock mounting position, anti squat, front kick up, clutch shoes, clutch spring, diff gear ratio!

I counted 27 variables!!!
Old 10-21-2010, 02:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I am not aware of any full scale car racing that uses rigidity of wheels as an tuning option, .

You do in kart racing. We would switch from spun aluminum or cast magnesium to adjust for traction. But then you have no springs or shocks. LOL

In RC I have known guys at our local track play with various wheels and liking the softer ones for indoor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.