Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Indi motor dyno vs. Orion Motor Perf monitor

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Tech Addict

Default Indi motor dyno vs. Orion Motor Perf monitor

I've been looking at both units and I'm looking for feedback on each. The indi is around $50 less than the Orion. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? I like the way the indi has a holding device for the motor. The orion looks like you have to manually hold the motor in place? Which would you recommend. BTW, this would be mainly for stock motors but I would like to be able to do mod motors too. Thanks for any feedback.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:32 AM
Tech Addict

hmmm... I guess no one here has used either of these....? I guess I'll have to get one, use it, and post results....
Old 08-07-2004, 12:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I used the indi-dyno myself for a couple years now, and have seen the orion checker used by others......I think Their both pretty good as long as you dont try to use them as a real dyno...their best for having percise adjustable voltage for breaking your motors in and to run comm lathes....to get any real usefull information on electric motors, you have to have a device that will put the motor under load........nearly everything important changes when you put a motor under load.....
Old 08-07-2004, 12:34 AM
Tech Regular

so, uh, why don't we just make a flywheel and put the motors under a load?
Old 08-07-2004, 12:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The load has to be adjustable, measureable and very stable.....thats where things Just "start" to get expensive and very difficult.......Iv'e seen quite a few home made projects by some fairly inteligent people still be very inacurate compared to the top of the line "real dynos" ......check out www.rccars.com and click on the link for big jims motor forum and do some searches on dynos and you'll find quite a bit on this descussion....
Old 08-07-2004, 02:58 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks guys. I understand motor performance will change once the motor is placed under load. I was just thinking of getting one of these to have some sort of way to measure numbers on motors. I guess as long as the motors are tested under the same conditions, the results are comparable and will still give a good general idea in the differences between different motors and spring/brush combos.
I'm really just trying to make up a good excuse ( I'm mean reason ) to go out and buy one of these gadgets. I think the Indi has been out longer and has a good rep, but right now I'm leaning towards the Orion. I'm going to check them out in person and go from there...........