Wiki Posts
Search

Asphalt RC Track- how to build, treat, maintain, organize events, etc

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Asphalt RC Track- how to build, treat, maintain, organize events, etc

Im taking care of a track that has been pretty much abandoned and would like to revive it. Right now we are mainly using for practice on Sundays, but would like to get some club racing going for 1/10 EP touring cars, 1/12 road course, and some 1/14. However, we need to get some lap timing equipment and software. What equipment will I need, and what software?
Old 06-28-2007, 11:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Talk to charlie_b and TireShredder they both run well organized events here in SoCal also Al Sodano and company at Jackson RC in NJ. See the racing forum for their profiles
Old 06-28-2007, 11:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I would recomend RC Scoring Pro race managment software. The best race managment software hands down www.rcscoringpro.com . For hardware you'll need and AMB RC decoder and related accessories. New software and hardware can easily run $4,000.00 US.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Assuming it's a aspahlt track, you would also want to invest in a blower and sprayer. You can get a good 15gal spot sprayer with pump for around $90, and it will save you a ton of time in prepping the track. You can also modify them with several tips, so you get a nice wide spray of traction at once. I built a cart for my local track for $250, including sprayer, battery, cart, and custom 6 tipped spraying rake.

As far as spraying the track, and great mixture is 15 pounds of sugar, 15 gallons of water, and 6 liters of soda mixed together. This is the same formula Adian has posted, and it works very well.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by GCracker
Talk to charlie_b and TireShredder they both run well organized events here in SoCal also Al Sodano and company at Jackson RC in NJ. See the racing forum for their profiles
Thanks for the tips...I have seen the Jackson RC website and they got a very nice facility there. Our track is pretty much done, but the previous director had to take off and its been left alon for a while now. The track is asphalt, and the wires are still laid down on the track. They took the computer and the transponder equipment. That's what we are mainly missing and dont know how to set up. I guess we'll need a laptop, software, and whatever connectcs the laptop to the track to read transponders and keep track of all that info...I just dont what that equipment is
Old 06-28-2007, 12:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Try/start here....
http://www.rclapcounter.com/index.html

I saw them on the web a while back and don't know much more than that..
Old 06-28-2007, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by schurcr
I would recomend RC Scoring Pro race managment software. The best race managment software hands down www.rcscoringpro.com . For hardware you'll need and AMB RC decoder and related accessories. New software and hardware can easily run $4,000.00 US.
Thanks SchurrC- I have been told about that one. Its top notch and widely used in many big events...thanks for the link
Old 06-28-2007, 12:20 PM
Tech Addict

What you are in need of is the AMBRc decoder - this is the box that reads transponders on the track. It's not cheap, but it is the standard in the industry right now.

http://www.amb-it.com/ambrc-base-system-c-16_41.html
Old 06-28-2007, 12:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by A. Rhodes
Assuming it's a aspahlt track, you would also want to invest in a blower and sprayer. You can get a good 15gal spot sprayer with pump for around $90, and it will save you a ton of time in prepping the track. You can also modify them with several tips, so you get a nice wide spray of traction at once. I built a cart for my local track for $250, including sprayer, battery, cart, and custom 6 tipped spraying rake.

As far as spraying the track, and great mixture is 15 pounds of sugar, 15 gallons of water, and 6 liters of soda mixed together. This is the same formula Adian has posted, and it works very well.
You got it buddy.. I have a cart, and just got the bottle to spray. But it doesnt have the pump...hmmm, I'll have to keep looking to see where they have something like this...do you have any pics of the finished cart?
Old 06-28-2007, 12:25 PM
Tech Regular

Besides the race management software you will need something to decode the transponders as they cross the finish line, you said there is cableing already in place. If it is the loop that is there you may need a AMBrc decoder box as well as the cableing to connect the loop to the decoder box and to the laptop. I beleive the decoder box is connected to a pc via a standard serial cable.Something like this would get you close:http://www.amb-it.com/ambrc-base-system-c-16_41.html
Old 06-28-2007, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BigDaddyT
What you are in need of is the AMBRc decoder - this is the box that reads transponders on the track. It's not cheap, but it is the standard in the industry right now.

http://www.amb-it.com/ambrc-base-system-c-16_41.html
BigDaddyT- saw the link and its really nice. Now I'm getting a bit more understanding on how this works...so the AMBRc decoder reads the track and passes this to the PC? if so, how does the pc hook up to the decoder, via USB?
Old 06-28-2007, 12:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
BigDaddyT- saw the link and its really nice. Now I'm getting a bit more understanding on how this works...so the AMBRc decoder reads the track and passes this to the PC? if so, how does the pc hook up to the decoder, via USB?
The decoder is the central component of the AMBrc system. This small box receives data from each transponder via the detection loop, and transmits lap time information directly to your computer, either through an RS232 (serial) or TCP/IP connection.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by majicman
Besides the race management software you will need something to decode the transponders as they cross the finish line, you said there is cableing already in place. If it is the loop that is there you may need a AMBrc decoder box as well as the cableing to connect the loop to the decoder box and to the laptop. I beleive the decoder box is connected to a pc via a standard serial cable.Something like this would get you close:http://www.amb-it.com/ambrc-base-system-c-16_41.html
OK...the only thing is that the wiring that's already on the track...can all decoders use the same type of wire? I wonder if its the same all aournd of each decoder uses different type of "loop", different specs, etc...I guess I'll call AMB and see what they tell us.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

What's the price for the Amb decoder? It doesnt seem to be posted on their website...time to take out that Visa
Old 06-28-2007, 12:33 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
OK...the only thing is that the wiring that's already on the track...can all decoders use the same type of wire? I wonder if its the same all aournd of each decoder uses different type of "loop", different specs, etc...I guess I'll call AMB and see what they tell us.
You should be fine as long as the wire is still intact. The system is pretty tolerant of different types of wire for the loop. It's not a big deal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.