Search
Like Tree8Likes

YOKOMO Touring Car BD-7

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 12:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Up date on my yokomo shocks

I neglected to mention I built them using green slime on all "o" rings, shafts and the shock pistons. I have not had a leak yet. I do know I made sure the "o " rings were fully coated, same as I do to the "o" rings in my oil gear diff.

I use 1100 oil in my gear diff.

Later,

Calvin.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

I think the car is not that hard to set right...

Its almost like the BD5... Look at Lucas Urbains setup sheet on Petit RC thats what i was running with all kind of motors... I´ve tested Ronalds Setup in Modified and it works also great...

Maybe you guys need to put more attention on the build of your car... And every good shock needs to get done after a day or two of running...

And just put 2000K oil inside the gear diff and you´re will be fine... This car only needs attention on a good build and a little bit of love... ;-)
Old 12-19-2012, 07:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Philipp1990
I think the car is not that hard to set right...

Its almost like the BD5... Look at Lucas Urbains setup sheet on Petit RC thats what i was running with all kind of motors... I´ve tested Ronalds Setup in Modified and it works also great...

Maybe you guys need to put more attention on the build of your car... And every good shock needs to get done after a day or two of running...

And just put 2000K oil inside the gear diff and you´re will be fine... This car only needs attention on a good build and a little bit of love... ;-)
+1
Old 12-19-2012, 08:05 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

That sounds nice, but it's not the issue. Many of the people expressing their frustration are meticulous with their car prep, travel to every big event, and have had success in competitive racing.

There's some fundamental thing that when it's not right, the car is dreadful. And when it is right, the car is great. That kind of inconsistency is exactly what I wasn't looking for. Ronald is fast with this car on every single track in the world where other pros are constantly chasing the right feel in the car. I had hoped that had more to do with the Yok than Ronald. Many of us did.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
That sounds nice, but it's not the issue. Many of the people expressing their frustration are meticulous with their car prep, travel to every big event, and have had success in competitive racing.

There's some fundamental thing that when it's not right, the car is dreadful. And when it is right, the car is great. That kind of inconsistency is exactly what I wasn't looking for. Ronald is fast with this car on every single track in the world where other pros are constantly chasing the right feel in the car. I had hoped that had more to do with the Yok than Ronald. Many of us did.
Well said.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm sure it helps when Ronald has the BD-7 designer setting up his car at most of these big races.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by malkiy
I'm sure it helps when Ronald has the BD-7 designer setting up his car at most of these big races.
Yeah it would be nice if Umino or Völker posted his setup with the tricks. Do they really fear one of us might finally compete with him?
Old 12-19-2012, 10:47 AM
AOD
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by NolanP
Yeah it would be nice if Umino or Völker posted his setup with the tricks. Do they really fear one of us might finally compete with him?
Only thing special with Ronalds car is Ronald. He could put a piece of crap in the A main.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AOD
Only thing special with Ronalds car is Ronald. He could put a piece of crap in the A main.
If you think Völker's setup has every shim on the car. Yes I do believe Ronald could post an a main with any car.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AOD
Agreed. I'm giving my bd7 another shot today with a 13.5.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 108 (99%+)

Given I lack all sorts of skills as a driver I really haven't experienced the consistency issues with the BD7 in 17.5. It seems the base carpet setup works well in low to med conditions but in high bite conditions it has too much traction. A couple of things seems to work when the traction has come up for me.

1. When the traction comes up I just swap to Jaco Blues from Sweep QTS32. This seems to work for the most part but only works if your rules allow for a few different spec tires.
2. I also found that running the wider 44.2 blocks up front, running the longer camber link positions up front, and using the inner hole on the steering blocks (reduce ackerman) works well if I had to stay in the same tire (Sweep QTS32).

On a different topic, how low of an FDR have most people been able to achieve with the BD7? With a 96t spur I can only fit up to a 50t (3.84FDR). Is anyone running a 84t or 88t spur?
Old 12-19-2012, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

I've struggled with consistency for a long time with my Schui. I've finally gotten good consistency from it, and it's come down to tire prep, not hitting stuff, and making sure I check everything when I do hit stuff. But you knew that.

I tried the TC6.1 last year, because I had the itch to try something else, and Kody Knudtson was destroying everyone in Stock TC with his. I figured I should be able to just buy the car, bolt on his setup, and immediately be much closer to the pace. Imagine my surprise when I went exactly the same speed as I'd been going with my Schui. I'm not sure if Kody's as much of a wheel as Ronald, but there's definitely something going on between driver and finer setup / prep details that make the magic happen, and I'm just not there yet.

Are you having run-to-run inconsistency, or race-to-race / track-to-track?

-Mike
Old 12-19-2012, 01:37 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

For me it's day-to-day on a single track. There were a few runs the second time out where the car felt so good it was hard to believe it was a rubber sedan. The next time out, and granted the track changes a bit between days, it was pushy, loose, and wanted to traction roll.

Cars always need maintenance and some tweaking between days, but this car goes from zero to 100 to zero again. Other cars are more like bouncing aroun between 75 and 90, if you see what I'm saying. It's either all or none with the Yok, and that's hard to abide by.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

For me it's day-to-day on a single track. There were a few runs the second time out where the car felt so good it was hard to believe it was a rubber sedan. The next time out, and granted the track changes a bit between days, it was pushy, loose, and wanted to traction roll.

Cars always need maintenance and some tweaking between days, but this car goes from zero to 100 to zero again. Other cars are more like bouncing aroun between 75 and 90, if you see what I'm saying. It's either all or none with the Yok, and that's hard to abide by.

Perhaps you could use

YOKMRTC-BD7-8675309 - Yokomo Mechanic, keeps car consistent from run to run. Requires food and lodging.

Have a great Holiday Adam, and say hi to Art.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Perhaps you could use

YOKMRTC-BD7-8675309 - Yokomo Mechanic, keeps car consistent from run to run. Requires food and lodging.

Have a great Holiday Adam, and say hi to Art.
Oh I am around watching this tread...I am gonna be able to pick up a BD7 for 50 bucks here soon based on what I am reading.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.