Need advise.  Buying buggy and truggie >

Need advise. Buying buggy and truggie

Need advise. Buying buggy and truggie

Old 11-29-2006, 05:18 AM
CIN
Tech Rookie

Default Need advise. Buying buggy and truggie

Hi Guys

I am new here but not new to nitro rc cars. I have an NTC3 but I want to get into offroading.

I was thinking of getting the Losi 8ight but am undecided wether to get the kit version of the RTR version. Further more I want to also get a truggie. So I have a few questions so that maybe you guys can help me clear my mind on what to get.

1. Should I get the kit or RTR versions? I hear the losi 8ight RTR is near identical to the kit version. Can anyone list the differences please?

2. If I opt for the kit what engine is most suitable?

3. Any suggestions on what servos and remote to get?

4. I have no idea which truggie to get. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-29-2006, 07:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default same boat as you

I'm nearly in the same situation as you. Electric racing is dying a slow and painful death here in Las Vegas so my kids and I are getting into gas racing.

I decided to go with the Losi Eight for both my kids. We got the kit version because I want to use receivers and servos that I already own. I'm still undecided on the engine although I can say this. I don't feel my son or daughter (or me) needs the fastest car on the planet. I want something that is reliable and puts out easy to drive, usable power.

As far as the truggy, I'm going to wait for the Eight T. I think there will be enough parts commonality to make it a wise decision. And I must say, the new truck looks heroic!

Good luck with whatever you decide. Have fun and enjoy.

Chris Boice
Las Vegas, NV
Old 11-29-2006, 08:47 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by skysnake
I'm still undecided on the engine although I can say this. I don't feel my son or daughter (or me) needs the fastest car on the planet. I want something that is reliable and puts out easy to drive, usable power.

get the os .21 vg. it's got the usable power and has a two neddle carb instead of the usual three needle carbs. it'll be easier to tune and it won't brake the bank.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:00 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by CIN
I was thinking of getting the Losi 8ight but am undecided wether to get the kit version of the RTR version. Further more I want to also get a truggie.

1. Should I get the kit or RTR versions? I hear the losi 8ight RTR is near identical to the kit version. Can anyone list the differences please?

2. If I opt for the kit what engine is most suitable?

3. Any suggestions on what servos and remote to get?

4. I have no idea which truggie to get. Any suggestions?
i may be wrong, but as far as i know, the rtr 8ight is the same as the kit except it has white wheels and a white wing and has a pre-painted body. if you'd rather put in your own choice of motor/pipe/electronics, then get a kit 8ight.....or, get the rtr and dump their motor/pipe/electronics on ebay and you'll have an instant 8ight roller.

motors......can't ever go wrong with an os. for the buget minded, get the os .21 vg. if you've got the bucks, then get the vzb v-spec coupled with the os t-2050 pipe. (i'd use the os pipe with the vg too.) other motors to consider are the novarossi p5, rb concepts motors or the mugen ninja motors....there are tons more to choose from but these are some of the more popular motors.

servos.....there are just as many opinions as there are servos, but i love JR servos coupled up with my trusty old airtronics M8/spektrum combo. if i was buying new, i'd buy an M11.

truggy....wait for the 8ight-t. it's coming pre-built as a roller. just add your favorite motor/pipe/electronics/paint and you're set.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:00 PM
CIN
Tech Rookie

Thanks a lot guys.

I think I will get an 8 RTR. My reasoning is that even if it has some of the parts which are lower performance than the kit version I can always replace them when / if I break them.

As for the truggy If I like the 8 buggy I might wait for the 8 truggy.

Thanks again
Old 11-29-2006, 03:21 PM
Tech Master

The only thing that I can see that is different between the 8ight kit and RTR is the shock towers. I will also go as far to say they might have different turnbuckles on the RTR too.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Different chassis, different shock caps, and doesn't have the ti-nitride coating on any of its parts.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:56 PM
Tech Adept

if your a racer dont buy the rtr. the servos, engine and tx would be replaced, and you get a lessor quality car. less option parts etc
Old 11-29-2006, 09:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i personally am waiting for the 8ight T to come out and as far as motors go the os 21 vg looks really sweet for the money and so does the race factor go engines they are cheap and really fast, those are the motors i am looking at but good luck on whatever you decide
Old 11-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Tech Regular

Not to cloud the waters, but I ran Jammin CR FTE and CRT last year for 2 classes and couldn't be happier. They held up extremely well, parts are readily available, and overall they looked as good if not better than anything out there. They have proven they can win races with them as well.

Just something else to consider.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

are you guys talking about the o.s. rg or do they they have a new budget engine called the vg?
Old 11-30-2006, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yes, OS' new line of sport .21s are now the VG replacing the RG.

These are good engines but they be a bit underpowered for a truggy which weighs about a pound more than a buggy. The OS .30 would be more suitable for a truggy.

For a real budget truggy engine you can use the Axial .28 and others like it.

Performance .28s include the Picco, LRP, Sportwerks, Collari, Novarossi, etc.