Search
Like Tree1Likes

Barracuda from Alex racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 11:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

I measured the rear toe just now with a camber guage (just stand the car up vertically and you can measure the toe) and it is 3.5 degrees. Which means there is 1.5 degrees built into the arm mounting holes and 2 degree in the hub carrier for a total of 3.5 degree.

Steve Wang
Old 03-23-2003, 11:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

hi i was lookin at my R2 saturday and noticed the HUGE toe-in on mine aswell...my TC3 or XXXS that i currently run now is no where near what the R2 is...i hope there is optionally less toe in for the rear end...or i hope this doesnt scrub speed on the straights........

beautiful car though

26MM wide foams might rub a little on the carriers too if you got a bent rim....

i cant wait to try it out...im hoping to get some springs for it soon so i can play with the setup....TC3 and XXXS springs are too long

all the people at my local track cant wait to see me run it since i be a fat guy
Old 03-23-2003, 11:55 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by SpeedTech
Hi Guys,

I measured the rear toe just now with a camber guage (just stand the car up vertically and you can measure the toe) and it is 3.5 degrees. Which means there is 1.5 degrees built into the arm mounting holes and 2 degree in the hub carrier for a total of 3.5 degree.

Steve Wang
I measured it using my setup station and I can tell you its closer to 4
Old 03-24-2003, 07:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

Steve Wang
You might want to Contact Alex Racing and see if they are sending you the 2 deg hubs with the R2 Steve ....
Because I just got a e-mail back from my Japanese buddy and His R2 is only 2 deg toe in!! ....
I think that you guys have the optional 2 deg hub ..

Looks like you all will need the 6.8mm offset ball to dial out some of that toe in

-Dave
Old 03-24-2003, 08:02 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by RideRed98
hi i was lookin at my R2 saturday and noticed the HUGE toe-in on mine aswell...my TC3 or XXXS that i currently run now is no where near what the R2 is...i hope there is optionally less toe in for the rear end...or i hope this doesnt scrub speed on the straights........

beautiful car though

26MM wide foams might rub a little on the carriers too if you got a bent rim....

i cant wait to try it out...im hoping to get some springs for it soon so i can play with the setup....TC3 and XXXS springs are too long

all the people at my local track cant wait to see me run it since i be a fat guy

If you can get HPI springs ...the 13x25mm ones are the best also Yokomo springs work good too

as for the 26mm foams... just make sure that you use a 6mm hex addapter in the front

-Dave
Old 03-24-2003, 08:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

itchynads,

you might be right, I just did a quick measure with the camber guage.

Dave,

The first batch of R2 might have less toe-in. I read on Alex Japan's website that for the second batch, they were including the 2 degree rear hub. I will check and see if the stock replacement parts are of less toe-in degree.

Steve Wang
Old 03-24-2003, 08:10 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by itchynads
Yeah' I'm thinking yyou guys got the optional 2 deg hub with your kits
-Dave
Old 03-24-2003, 08:21 AM
Tech Champion

Dave,

The first batch of R2 might have less toe-in. I read on Alex Japan's website that for the second batch, they were including the 2 degree rear hub. I will check and see if the stock replacement parts are of less toe-in degree.

Steve Wang

That might be the case I know that my buddy had like one of the 1st batches of R2's .... But this car doesn't need this much toe in .. 2.5 tops

the stock replacements for the R1 should work the part # is 6113 for the R1's rear hubs
-Dave
Old 03-24-2003, 09:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by itchynads
4!! Isn't that a bit much?
Old 03-24-2003, 11:03 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by elnitro
4!! Isn't that a bit much?

Justa little 2.5 is best
Old 03-24-2003, 02:37 PM
Tech Elite

Well I'm just back from my first night of racing the cuda, with mixed results.
The rear toe in is actually very useful indoors, the back end was nice and stable (considering I was running a front one way)
It took some time for me to get used to running the front one way on the slippy wooden floors, used to run one outside on tarmac and liked it a lot so remembered how to adapt but still had to think about every corner a little more than normal
The car was a little noisey and found it even worse in the final, at the end of the race I found the spur gear was almost fully stripped I noticed a little spur gear wobble befoe I ran it but didn't have time to take the car apart and fix it, I think I over tightened the screws in the spur gear and only used two so it kind of bent the spur gear. I also need to put it on the other side of the holder so it's closer to the motor, I could only get a half mesh as it was.

I qualified a little down on what I'd normally expect, 7th in the A when I could easily be 6th and possibly 5th if I had been running a normal front diff. I was getting faster every run though and once I had the gearing sorted it was incredibly fast in a straight line, still with good acceleration.
In the final I managed to avoid most of the first corner carnage and came out of the first lap in 4th got close to third but was trying to be careful with my new toy and soon the faster guys who'd crashed at the first corner were moving back up, by the end I finished 5th though, which is not bad, the guy in 4th is someone I normally swap good and bad weeks with, normaly I'll do well and beat him easy then the next week I'll do bad and he'll do well, we never seem to have a good setup on the same night

Going to travel down south on Sunday if the weather is good for an open meeting at one of the only permanent outdoor tracks in the region, still 90 miles away though the one way should work very very well at the track though, the end of the straight has a nice fast sweeper that fast cars with diffs in need to brake slightly for but a one way can take it at full speed

Indoors with a normal diff up front I can see this car being incredible outdoors in 19T spec class I think I'll embarris a few people too
Old 03-24-2003, 03:18 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Herminator
Well I'm just back from my first night of racing the cuda, with mixed results.
The rear toe in is actually very useful indoors, the back end was nice and stable (considering I was running a front one way)
It took some time for me to get used to running the front one way on the slippy wooden floors, used to run one outside on tarmac and liked it a lot so remembered how to adapt but still had to think about every corner a little more than normal
The car was a little noisey and found it even worse in the final, at the end of the race I found the spur gear was almost fully stripped I noticed a little spur gear wobble befoe I ran it but didn't have time to take the car apart and fix it, I think I over tightened the screws in the spur gear and only used two so it kind of bent the spur gear. I also need to put it on the other side of the holder so it's closer to the motor, I could only get a half mesh as it was.

Hermi'

It's very important that you Don't put the Kung~fu grip on the allen driver when tightning down the spur gear bolts

But on a serious note... you should make sure that you are getting 100% contact with the pinion and the spur... ...so what your saying is that the Spur Gear is mounted on the Back ( side near the rear diff ??) If so it's on the wrong side

also make sure to take the car back appart and clean out the bearings and re~lube them

-Dave
Old 03-24-2003, 04:08 PM
Tech Elite

silly thing is, I didn't want the spur gear to come loose and get stripped
Old 03-24-2003, 04:47 PM
Tech Champion

Lightbulb You should..

Originally posted by Herminator
silly thing is, I didn't want the spur gear to come loose and get stripped

Try a little lock tite on the 2 screws it's not like you can't get them out again...just a little piece of mind

-Dave
Old 03-24-2003, 05:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
Hermi'

It's very important that you Don't put the Kung~fu grip on the allen driver when tightning down the spur gear bolts

But on a serious note... you should make sure that you are getting 100% contact with the pinion and the spur... ...so what your saying is that the Spur Gear is mounted on the Back ( side near the rear diff ??) If so it's on the wrong side

also make sure to take the car back appart and clean out the bearings and re~lube them

-Dave
On the R2 if you do not mount the spur gear nearest to the diff side, it will hit the battery holder.

I have also noticed the the servo mount blocks are too wide and they will also block the batter holder. This would not have been a problem with the R1 because it had a wider chassis.

Last edited by itchynads; 03-24-2003 at 05:32 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.