buying a generator? What to look for?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

buying a generator? What to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 03:24 AM
Tech Master

Default buying a generator? What to look for?

Hi,

Just wonder if I want to buy a generator what should I look for? Meaning what kinda of feature are must have and what should the output of the generator be?

Of course the generator will be used for parking lot races.

Can any of you recommand few good online shops for generators?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-01-2002, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hey TRF,
I don't know what your budget is like but if you're poor like me a good generator is tough to afford. I found a 5000 watt unit at a local PAWN shop. BE CAREFUL and you can find a great deal. If you find one and save yourself a few bucks.....maybe you could make me a great deal on the EVO2 you have for sale. Great car...I love mine. Good Luck
Old 12-01-2002, 09:06 AM
Tech Elite

Default Generator selection

TRF-Powered;

Look for one with lots of outlets and LOTS of power, since there will be 10 more people besides yourself that want to plug in. SERIOUSLY.
I use a portable Auto battery at the track because all of my friends with gens at the track are all tapped out. It takes a 3 month reservation just to get 1 outlet to plug into (well almost).

You can find some basic generators for around $300 usd but the new Honda's go for close to $1000. Watts~120volts=Amp output.
Old 12-01-2002, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Generator selection

[QUOTE]Originally posted by popsracer
[B]TRF-Powered;

hey pops it all depends on what you are looking for. I have a coleman generator it works real good 1850 watts but a little noisey. they cost around 399. if you get that one always remember to check the oil it does not have auto shutoff when the oil is low. thats what i did to mine and iam still waiting for parts to fix. the honda is an ok gen but get more than two racrts on it and the packs charge up flat
Old 12-01-2002, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

Default Howard

The comment about power was mostly a joke.
1850~120 volts=15.4 amps, PLENTY of power.
Hurry up and fix that generator of yours. Do I need a reservation for an outlet?
Old 12-01-2002, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

Default joke??????

that was no joke. if you have a good generator that puts out lots of power. there is always someone who wants to plug in. which is all good but if you have a generator such as a honda forget about having more then two on it unless you use one soldering station and run max of three chargers. my coleman was loud but man did it put out some power those batteries got nice and toastie. and when i get back running yes you can plug in THE RENT IS CHEAP
Old 12-01-2002, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

Default joke??????

that was no joke. if you have a good generator that puts out lots of power. there is always someone who wants to plug in. which is all good but if you have a generator such as a honda forget about having more then two on it unless you use one soldering station and run max of three chargers. my coleman was loud but man did it put out some power those batteries got nice and toastie. and when i get back running yes you can plug in THE RENT IS CHEAP
Old 12-01-2002, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)
Default Generators

I have a Honda eu1000i and I run about 4 to 5 people on it every weekend with 3 fans and 1 soldering iron. I try to limit the amount of people because it really puts a lot of load in that little generator.

TRF powered, how many people will be using it? There is a couple of colemans that are great for use at the track. I choose the honda only for size and how quiet it is. I hope you find something you will be able to use effectively.
Old 12-01-2002, 10:23 PM
Tech Addict

Okay here's the skinny.... Honda is the way to go, have one that I bought used(must have been about 6 yrs. old), and it ran great for about 2 yrs.... Well worth it!!\ had about 4 guys, 6 chargers, and a soldering Iron all running off of it...might have been too much for being so old... but it also was only 850 watts...

When that one went out, shopped around and found the Honda EU1000 for about 640 or so online and free shipping...out of state so no sales tax....at the time funds were limited... so went to Sears and saw the Craftsman with 1000 watts...5bills, but with Craftsman club and on craftsman day got it for $450.... Heavier than Honda...Louder(not too much), than honda but real nice... and dependable.. also will turn off when oil is low.....

Heres some more info....

www.alamia.com

www.northwestpowertools.com

Check them out..always seem to have the lowest prices and free shipping...

Last edited by rto997; 12-05-2002 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hondas are the best, but expensive. I recently purchased an EU2000i and love it. It's very quiet, shuts off if the oil gets low, and adjusts the throttle according to amp draw, so it's easy on gas. It's $845 shipping included on the internet. The EU1000i has all of the same features, but is half the power. It's plenty power for you at the track and it'll run about $620 on the net shipped.

A lower priced alternative is the Generac G1000M which is fairly quiet and has low oil shut-off. I believe it is the one that Sears sells as the Craftman model that RTO has. It's also available at Lowes. It runs $400 - $500. Check ebay and do internet searchs with Google or something.

RTO listed the two good sources that I know off. Stop by and check out our generators at the Toys 4 Tots race.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

Default RTO666

Yea;

Here's one guy who ALWAYS pits a the other end of the track from me, just so he does'nt have to let me tap in. I'm buying a 200 ft extension cord TODAY!
Old 12-02-2002, 08:48 AM
Tech Master

Just to chime in about the Honda generators...

I have a eu1000i and I never have to bring it out at the RC Comp races. Robert's eu2000i powers his laptop, the scoring system, and about 4 tents worth of people that camp down by the scorers table. They are a bit pricey but they are quiet and their dry-weight is super light.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I have a coleman 1850, and it runs 3 people noprob, I it is a little noisy, but I have 150ft of extension cord. I would suggest this model to anyone on a budget $340..... Money not an object get a Honda, they are thre bets you can buy
Old 12-05-2002, 07:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I would buy a Honda.I've had Hondas from 3500-5000'S.Depending what I needed them for. My 5000's powered my 12 foot trailer with A/C 4 chargers and the rest of my junk.I would ask the simple question how many people are you going to let use it? If it's just yourself I would get a small Honda.They are so quiet and that's the key. You can here yourself think. If your powering several they have a really quiet 3300 Honda that a little pricey but it is a quiet as the little 850 or 1000. I wish I could sell my 5000 to get one.I do also have a 1850 coleman that is noiser than the Honda 5000. Honda = quieter and 100% dependable.
Old 12-05-2002, 09:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Re: RTO666

Originally posted by popsracer
Yea;

Here's one guy who ALWAYS pits a the other end of the track from me, just so he does'nt have to let me tap in. I'm buying a 200 ft extension cord TODAY!
Be glad he pits on the "other" end cause his generator is so damn loud that you'll go deaf...... HAHAHAHA

RTO - just messin' with you brotha'. You know we love ya!