Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buggy Diff oil combo's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Buggy Diff oil combo's?

My son rides a Nanda Swift buggy, its an entry level rtr car with not to hot handling, so I'm starting to sort it out. I've improved the tires, droop, camber and toe, soon I'll upgrade the shocks.

Next in line is the Diff oil. When I opened the diffs, I found them all with no oil, but just a light slap of the same grease in all 3 diffs.

What is the best average/standard diff oil combination for a buggy. I was thinking 1000-rear 7000-center 5000-front. Any advice will be appreciated.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

5F 7M 3R
Old 03-14-2011, 01:43 PM
Tech Regular

Id make sure that the diffs has proper seals before putting oil in them.
I dont know about Nanda but in the old days Kyosho used to also only grease the diffs in their entry level cars without putting seals in them.
It needs to have O-rings at the outdrives and a paperseal where the house meets the bevel gear
Old 03-14-2011, 02:00 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Dave1GP
My son rides a Nanda Swift buggy, its an entry level rtr car with not to hot handling, so I'm starting to sort it out. I've improved the tires, droop, camber and toe, soon I'll upgrade the shocks.

Next in line is the Diff oil. When I opened the diffs, I found them all with no oil, but just a light slap of the same grease in all 3 diffs.

What is the best average/standard diff oil combination for a buggy. I was thinking 1000-rear 7000-center 5000-front. Any advice will be appreciated.
sounds like a good place to start. the thicker you go in the center the more drive you put on all 4 tires, if the diff fluid is to thin in the center most of the power will most likely go to the front, the thicker you go in the front helps on power steering and takes away off power steering as you start to enter a turn, thicker in the rear gives you better on power drive but it will make the car lossen up some in the rear when you are entering turns. hope this helps there's alot of things you can make a car do by just changeing the the fulid in the diff's, and one make of car wont act the same as another make with the same fluids in the diff's.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Tech Adept

sounds like a good place to start. the thicker you go in the center the more drive you put on all 4 tires, if the diff fluid is to thin in the center most of the power will most likely go to the front, the thicker you go in the front helps on power steering and takes away off power steering as you start to enter a turn, thicker in the rear gives you better on power drive but it will make the car lossen up some in the rear when you are entering turns. hope this helps there's alot of things you can make a car do by just changeing the the fulid in the diff's, and one make of car wont act the same as another make with the same fluids in the diff's.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Going from grease to diff fluid alone will make your son feel like he is driving a completly new car alone in itself.Especially if there was only grease,my buggy seems to like 5 7 3 because of the track conditions I run good luck with it.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Lilja
Id make sure that the diffs has proper seals before putting oil in them.
I dont know about Nanda but in the old days Kyosho used to also only grease the diffs in their entry level cars without putting seals in them.
It needs to have O-rings at the outdrives and a paperseal where the house meets the bevel gear
Fortunately all 3 diffs has paper seals and o-rings, I cant understand why nanda couldnt just throw n a little diff oil in the package. I guess thats what makes entry rtr's cheaper, but then again, howmuch can a bit of oil cost? But thanks for the good advise anyway.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by axle
OK, If I go with 5000-front, 7000-center,-1000-rear, what handling caracteristics can I expect in average buggies? It will obviously handle more like a frontwheel driven car.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

As mentioned earlier, the buggy will feel real different (I guess more realistic). With the Werks motor and your kid driving Id say 15K front 10K middle and 7K rear. Try 15 15 10 as well. In reality we can all say different oil setups but without knowing your sons driving style, its almost like shooting blanks at the target. Its either going to be a hit or miss.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default Diff Guide

There is some really good info here http://www.rc411.com/pages/howto.php?howto=24
Old 03-15-2011, 06:57 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

The losi buggy I liked 5-5-5 or 5-5-4 Espically when the track was dusty and loose. Now in my Durango buggy I'm using 7-7-5 and it's pretty good.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Default solution oil diff for buggy.

Hi to all...
front = 3000
center= 5000
rear = 2000
make sure to change the diff gasket,and check the bearings,washers on the corona side.

Service center,
Firas kakish,
Jordan.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Good info, thanx guys.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:54 PM
Tech Adept

OK, If I go with 5000-front, 7000-center,-1000-rear, what handling caracteristics can I expect in average buggies? It will obviously handle more like a frontwheel driven car.
with the 7000 in the center you should see the car accelerate faster, putting 5000 in the front both wheels will try to pull more even if one tire is off the ground on power, with both front and center haveing thicker diff fluid it should lose some off power steering going into a trun, the rear with the 1000 will be about the same as it was with grease. from what i have tryed in the past with my cars is that most wheelbearing grease seem to work the same as 1000 diff fluid. hope this helps
Old 03-15-2011, 11:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by axle
with the 7000 in the center you should see the car accelerate faster, putting 5000 in the front both wheels will try to pull more even if one tire is off the ground on power, with both front and center haveing thicker diff fluid it should lose some off power steering going into a trun, the rear with the 1000 will be about the same as it was with grease. from what i have tryed in the past with my cars is that most wheelbearing grease seem to work the same as 1000 diff fluid. hope this helps
It sure does.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.