Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF417

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

For those with the TRF Works shocks, what's the best way to get zero rebound with no air? I watched the Jilles video from RedRC and understand perfectly how to build them, I'm just not getting the same results.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bigger Brother
The thing is that the ETS races in particular now rivaling the World Champs in terms of importance. All the top drivers are there and very often are running prototype parts on the car.

If you're at the race, then you've got plenty of opportunities to look at the cars, chat with the drivers and mechanics and they can explain what is special about the car and why they are running those parts.

Unfortunately, you would lose that element with just a photograph. It then in turn gives people unrealistic expectations of what teams may be working on, and why, and whether or not the general public can buy the parts. The teams want to make sure parts are perfected before being released - it's probably fair that well over half the stuff that is tested at these big races is ruled out and then never used again.

Let the teams and drivers get on with their job - developing the cars to be the best they can. When they're ready, then I'm sure you can see plenty of pictures of them!

Yes, of course you mention some good points here and we know this is how it is. But this reasoning misses a few important facts.
I have been going to international TC races for...hmm have to think...must be 13-14 years now so I know at the races it's usually ok to see the cars etc, with some rare exceptions. Was btw supposed to be at Apeldoorn last weekend but had to cancel at the last minute.

But then only 200 or so racers are at such races while thousands are following, thousands of potential customers that is. And in this sport any race coverage without pictures and info of what the top drivers are running is not acceptable when basically all who are following the race are themselves running these cars, so a large portion of why they are following is to follow the cars and the equipment.

And manufacturers send their drivers to these races as much (more) for promotion as for development. But what promotion is it if it's a secret what they're running? If it was just to promote a brand that's more ok, but this sport is very special in that they are promoting racing products for people who race themselves.

Another point, and one that is the bigger issue here is that the media are not doing their job properly if they just listen to manufacturers and not publish stuff they say don't publish. This has always been the problem in RC. The industry is too small and too many people are hoping for some sort of sponsorship or help from the same manufacturers they are reporting on. The job of media is to stay independent and bring the news to the interested followers. If a manufacturer brings a new product/prototype to a race and race it openly they must in today's world expect that a picture will show up or someone will report on what they have seen. And this is how it should be. Otherwise the media are not doing their job...

Sorry for the OT
Old 05-23-2013, 12:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Autocratic
For those with the TRF Works shocks, what's the best way to get zero rebound with no air? I watched the Jilles video from RedRC and understand perfectly how to build them, I'm just not getting the same results.
Best way imo is to drill a 1 mm hole in the plastic top cap.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
Awesome thanks Sean, I'll come and find you when I arrive at the track Thursday afternoon after visiting the rock
Good luck over there Craig. Fly the flag for the Aussies

Regards,

Simon
Old 05-23-2013, 03:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kentech
Yes, of course you mention some good points here and we know this is how it is. But this reasoning misses a few important facts.
I have been going to international TC races for...hmm have to think...must be 13-14 years now so I know at the races it's usually ok to see the cars etc, with some rare exceptions. Was btw supposed to be at Apeldoorn last weekend but had to cancel at the last minute.

But then only 200 or so racers are at such races while thousands are following, thousands of potential customers that is. And in this sport any race coverage without pictures and info of what the top drivers are running is not acceptable when basically all who are following the race are themselves running these cars, so a large portion of why they are following is to follow the cars and the equipment.

And manufacturers send their drivers to these races as much (more) for promotion as for development. But what promotion is it if it's a secret what they're running? If it was just to promote a brand that's more ok, but this sport is very special in that they are promoting racing products for people who race themselves.

Another point, and one that is the bigger issue here is that the media are not doing their job properly if they just listen to manufacturers and not publish stuff they say don't publish. This has always been the problem in RC. The industry is too small and too many people are hoping for some sort of sponsorship or help from the same manufacturers they are reporting on. The job of media is to stay independent and bring the news to the interested followers. If a manufacturer brings a new product/prototype to a race and race it openly they must in today's world expect that a picture will show up or someone will report on what they have seen. And this is how it should be. Otherwise the media are not doing their job...

Sorry for the OT
One reason for companies not wanting photo of their cars leaking out when testing parts is that they don't want to give any technical idea's etc to the opposition. This is a very competitive industry and companies want to try and keep every advantage they can at the big races.

Showing photo's also provides ammo for the 'armchair engineers' who will point out what is wrong with bits of design etc, despite generally not knowing what they are talking about!

Sometimes it can be a little frustrating, but if the end result is if I get a better kit when it's released, it's a small price to pay.

On the flip side, perhaps Tamiya need a little industrial espionage so they produce a car where team drivers aren't forced to use someone else's conversion kit to be competitive
Old 05-23-2013, 05:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I really dont understand how raceberry can come out with a better chassis than tamiya. Seriously aren't Tamiya supposed to be on top of this and have the best parts for there own car?
Old 05-23-2013, 06:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

+1
Was shocked to see TRF drivers using a different chassis to beat Yokomo.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:32 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Mitamiya
+1
Was shocked to see TRF drivers using a different chassis to beat Yokomo.
And beating Yokomos with their own parts! That must really nob them off lol
Old 05-23-2013, 06:49 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by kentech
Best way imo is to drill a 1 mm hole in the plastic top cap.
That's what I was thinking of doing.

Do most people use the bushing between the bladder and the cap?
Old 05-24-2013, 04:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Autocratic
That's what I was thinking of doing.

Do most people use the bushing between the bladder and the cap?
To achieve zero rebound, you cannot use the little sponge thing between the bladder and the cap
Old 05-24-2013, 07:06 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by iwkyb
To achieve zero rebound, you cannot use the little sponge thing between the bladder and the cap
Yea I need to fix that too. I already built all four shocks with the sponge, and they're definitely not zero. I'm going to try them out how they are now and see what happens.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:52 AM
Tech Master

I wonder if tamiya is gonna come out with something or r their factory boys just going to run there raceberry conversion
Old 05-24-2013, 11:13 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Kiyo is with them at Reedy this week. Sounds like they've got cars with the soft and hard Raceberry built up and are trying both. Presumably if the car designer is there with them, and they're running that stuff, he's taking notes.

I'd be surprised if the next car isn't a 418.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:28 PM
Tech Adept

the fans being mounted to the chassis, behind the motor... is it blowing air at the motor or sucking it away?
Old 05-24-2013, 10:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theagentorange
the fans being mounted to the chassis, behind the motor... is it blowing air at the motor or sucking it away?
Always blowing toward the motor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.