Wiki Posts
Search

Spider Diff Or Torsion Diff????

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 03:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default Spider Diff Or Torsion Diff????

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A SPIDER DIFF 6 GEAR OR A TORSION DIFF THIS IS ON A HYPER 7
Old 03-01-2004, 06:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Spider diff is a regular diff but with an extra pair of spider gears inside to take on more power by providing more load bearing sufaces. It works exactly as a four spider gear diff and transfers power to the wheels with the least resistance.

A TorSen dif is a TORque SENsing diff and functions quite a bit different than a standard spider style diff. It will transfer power to the wheels that have the least resistance but in addition will also transfer power to the wheels with the most resistance. It still gives you differential action not like a locked diff. If you wheelie with this diff it wont unload to the wheel in the air but will continue to power the rear wheels.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So is the Torsen diff better?
Old 03-04-2004, 08:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

I dont like torsen diffs, They cause lots of off-power push.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It's not a question of it being better, rather it's more of a question of which one is more appropriate to use.

For racing on a large high tack, good traction blue groove track with big turns then the TorSen may be better. For bashing and smaller looser technical tracks the regular differential may be better. Both affect the handling and stability of the car, the question you need to ask is "What handling problem do I have and what can I do to remedy it."

Using a different type differential is only another tuning aid to solve a handling problem in the car.