Rumoured new XRAY TC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumoured new XRAY TC

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 12:29 AM
Tech Initiate

During the Shoot out was the weight of the cars ever considered. I know from racing a Xray is a bit lighter than a TC3 and in most events everyone runs a specific required weight. Just some food for thought.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:53 AM
Tech Adept

So did the xray beat the tc3 in the end? can't wait to know, if i've to read the magazine then i'll have to wait another month or two as things take forever to get shipped to australia
Old 10-02-2004, 08:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

it's funny how this thread has morphed from a "new xray TC" thread, to a "predator sucks, no it doesnt" thread, and now to a magazine TC shootout thread.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:35 PM
R/C Tech Founder

The weight of the cars was considered, but we didn't want to modify any of the cars. This was meant to be a comparison of the cars as racers; which car, out of the box and with the right equipment, would be the best choice? As such, a car that is naturally lighter will certainly gain an advantage over a heavier car. The Xray was a good example of that, same with the Losi. The Losi was heavier, and although we could have milled out a chassis to save weight, that would not really be in the spirit of testing the cars as the average person could buy them.

As far as adding weight to make a car "legal" we chose to run them out of the box. I have raced at many clubs and many national events, and only at the large events is weight a real issue. Very few clubs that I have seen spend a lot of time teching weight on a weekly basis. That's not to say that none of them do, but once again, if a car was lighter out of the box I felt that deserves to give it an advantage.

The diff/one-way thing was my pet peeve in the test. My choice would have been all diffs or all spools, since we were at the Tamiya track, where those are usually the choice at the Reedy race. That is something we will learn from and do differently the next time we do a test like this (which will be a long way off).
Old 10-02-2004, 02:52 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by mashimaro
So did the xray beat the tc3 in the end? can't wait to know, if i've to read the magazine then i'll have to wait another month or two as things take forever to get shipped to australia
yeah the xray beat the TC3!!!! hahaha just got my mag
Old 10-03-2004, 01:19 AM
Tech Adept

haha, thank you.. u guys are way luckier to get the mags 2months ahead of people down here
Old 10-03-2004, 04:52 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by TeamButter
what was the subject of this thread again?

Maybe we should start a thread for the "predator" and those who hated it!
I raced one for the NZ distributor in 99/2000. Won the 1999 Super touring(GT bodyshells) class at the South island champs and went on to a 3rd place in modified touring at the 2000 national champs. The car was brilliant. However one month later at a major race meeting the car couldn't finish a single heat and was subsequently returned.

When it was working well, it was fantastic...but when things weren't going right, it was a nightmare.

I would have loved to see how the touring car was developed over the years but it was discontinued(?) The off roader was always at the top in the UK so TTech must have been onto something. I believe one made the Off road worlds "A" final too?
Old 10-03-2004, 06:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

"The car was brilliant. However one month later at a major race meeting the car couldn't finish a single heat and was subsequently returned.

When it was working well, it was fantastic...but when things weren't going right, it was a nightmare."

I'm reminded of Carroll Smith's "tune to win", where he mentions raising rate/cantelever suspensions...basically he said that at one track they would be faster than a speeding bullet, at another, the next week, worthless, and would remain that way despite fiddling with everything they could. He said they complicated the car beyond the knowledge and abilities of the teams. (granted this was the late 70's).

Sort of the same thing as that Serpent car that went over oh so well. Granted both the TT and the Serpent had their moments, but they had to be very complicated for people without dataloggers and M.E. degrees.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default shaft xray sighted

Someone present in the World's said they have sighted the shaft car in the worlds.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:46 AM

Default Re: shaft xray sighted

Originally posted by danjoy25
Someone present in the World's said they have sighted the shaft car in the worlds.
Belt drive still the way to go.. find some new xray bits on Starting Grid forum, only upgradable parts for current cars if it ever makes to production.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:44 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: shaft xray sighted

Originally posted by danjoy25
Really.... ......who is the someone, and why wouldn't they have used it.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:54 AM
Tech Regular

When Xray were in the making of the XB8 (before) people were all saying it would be a touring car (alot of people were) but it turned out to be something completly different a nitro 1/8th off road car so couldn't this be a 10th buggy or 10th nitro if the rumours are true.

Chazz
Old 11-01-2004, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

People..there is no new shaft Xray. I pitted with Team Xray at the IFMAR Worlds. There was no new car present. The only thing shaft driven there by Xray was the XB8 and the M18 that they had on display.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:19 AM
Tech Regular

Hi,

Which prove started al these rumours?

The X-ray team didn't do very well at the worlds, but did other brands all perform well?

If you take the worlds result as a mirror for brands and new stuff, then you could say that Corally is comming with a new car as well? (RDX is just out)

Look at the nitroworlds. The only car that will still be there next season is the Kyosho V-one-RRR?

I don't think so.

The worlds are something completly different. The driver is having way more stress as during a normal race, and the manufacturers are all there watching eachother.

If there will be a new chassis, they would have been stupid to take it to the worlds. Everybody is watching, and pressure is high.
X-ray had some bad luck, that's part of racing. You lose some, you win some.

Bye, Thomas
Old 11-01-2004, 10:43 AM
Tech Adept

Why would XRAY be stupid? Every mfr. at the worlds takes a chance with new parts/cars. That doesn't make them stupid. Was YOKOMO stupid for a new version of their shaft car? LOSI with the JRXS? Besides they all have pros. that are used to this "pressure". The best way to test new products IS against the best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.