Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
im in the market for a new .21 engine..need advice:) >

im in the market for a new .21 engine..need advice:)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

im in the market for a new .21 engine..need advice:)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 06:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default im in the market for a new .21 engine..need advice:)

looking for opinions about motors, like tunability, gas milage, and dependability..all opinions welcome
Old 08-23-2008, 06:30 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Well, everyone is going to have their own opinion and I'm sure many will disagree with me but here are my preferences.

1. Anything made by Novarossi, especially RB's. S3 or S5 for budget, C6 or WS7 for power.

2. We have a three way tie for second so I will list them alphabetically.

2a, OS. Stick with V-specs or Speeds. Easy to tune, easy to get, not quite as durable as Nova's but not far off.

2b, Picco. Very underrated motors. Sometimes tuning can be a bit tricky for the novice but not bad.

2c, Sirio based motors such as Extech and others. Good mileage, good top end. I hear the carbs are better but they used to be junk. Fortunately Nova and OS carbs fit if you have a problem.

Everything else I won't even think about. There are some other good motors out there I'm sure but the ones I listed are the ones I know and trust. GRP seems to be improving so I might look into them sometime in the future but I still have visions of blown up Ninjas.

Last edited by wingracer; 08-23-2008 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Novarossi is still the gold standard for power and durability, and the pricing reflects that.

Could anyone tell me if any of the Star-Motor (Werks, and Sirio based motors), come in an AAC design for off-road?

Last, any thoughts on why the off road engines almost all have composite carbs, vs. aluminum carbs like their on-road siblings?

-Steve
Old 08-23-2008, 08:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

my biggest advice would be to stay away from the go-tech engines and any other off brand, the os speeds and vspecs are good they have good low and high power, and fuel economy, very easy to tune, because they are basically a 3 port engine, the novarossi and rb engines are good, the c6 gets great economy if tuned properly, if you are racing on a small track i would get a 3 port they have plenty of power and are easy to tune, only downside is the fuel economy isnt as great as a 5 or 7 port
Old 08-23-2008, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Trinity Ex Tech! The engines come broken in ready to run, great run time , easy to tune, and tons of power..

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...tech-21-a.html
Old 08-23-2008, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I have a go 7 port .21, I know the guy above stated to stay away from them Why just because they don't cost 400.00. Mine is easy to tune and will walk all over a V-Spec down the straights.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:41 AM
Tech Adept

Stay away from OS engines unless your willing to do a complete seal job on the engine, they leak from every orifice possible and you will be lucky to get a gallon out of the junk bearings. To compare, the bearings in my old ofna P.O.S macstar .28 were still going strong and sealed after 8 gallons of noob abuse, thats how bad the OS ones are.

They run well but the fit and finish of the v-specs is absolutely terrible.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I have mixed feelings about the GO's. When on their game they simply stomp. I had many tuning issues and ruined one Go21 5pt because they tune so different. If I hadn't found this forum I wouldn't have known the how/why's. Would I buy another??? I don't think so.

Last edited by moeman; 08-23-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wingracer
Well, everyone is going to have their own opinion and I'm sure many will disagree with me but here are my preferences.

1. Anything made by Novarossi, especially RB's. S3 or S5 for budget, C6 or WS7 for power.

2. We have a three way tie for second so I will list them alphabetically.

2a, OS. Stick with V-specs or Speeds. Easy to tune, easy to get, not quite as durable as Nova's but not far off.

2b, Picco. Very underrated motors. Sometimes tuning can be a bit tricky for the novice but not bad.

2c, Sirio based motors such as Extech and others. Good mileage, good top end. I hear the carbs are better but they used to be junk. Fortunately Nova and OS carbs fit if you have a problem.

Everything else I won't even think about. There are some other good motors out there I'm sure but the ones I listed are the ones I know and trust. GRP seems to be improving so I might look into them sometime in the future but I still have visions of blown up Ninjas.
If you guys can, we should help find a good deal on the motors your recommending. Remember to post links on specs and sales for your favorite lines.
Here is a killer deal on some of the above mentioned race motors:
http://www.airlandhobbies.com/catalo...1585242210.htm

Old 08-23-2008, 11:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

get a rb and be happy
Old 08-23-2008, 11:18 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jonro
Stay away from OS engines unless your willing to do a complete seal job on the engine, they leak from every orifice possible and you will be lucky to get a gallon out of the junk bearings. To compare, the bearings in my old ofna P.O.S macstar .28 were still going strong and sealed after 8 gallons of noob abuse, thats how bad the OS ones are.

They run well but the fit and finish of the v-specs is absolutely terrible.
I totally agree with jonro. Os sucks! and they will not warantee anything, even if the engine is defective, and the customer service is terrible! I swapped out my vspecs for the Picco/Jammin .21 7 ports. They are cheep ($220) Easy to tune, reliable, last forever, and make a ton of power. My buggy, and my truggy are both as fast as anything on the track, including Nova's & sirios that cost twice as much
Old 08-23-2008, 01:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Many engines are good...no denying that these days.... but my vote goes to the JPX/Picco lineup of engines.... extremely fast, powerful, durable and very affordable.....I have modified and sold many dozens of Picco/JPX engines and every single one is still running today....
Old 08-23-2008, 01:15 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Maximo
Many engines are good...no denying that these days.... but my vote goes to the JPX/Picco lineup of engines.... extremely fast, powerful, durable and very affordable.....I have modified and sold many dozens of Picco/JPX engines and every single one is still running today....

What kind of mods are you finding necessary? I just seal mine up good and they rock! Am I missing something? are you porting them?
Old 08-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
What kind of mods are you finding necessary? I just seal mine up good and they rock! Am I missing something? are you porting them?
Yes I port them !! Alter port shape timing and all the other good stuff.... Makes for a stronger motor with a broader powerband and a easier to find tuning window... even with rich settings the modded motors will still run strong and idle well.... And of course with a good tune they howl !
Old 08-23-2008, 01:50 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Maximo
Yes I port them !! Alter port shape timing and all the other good stuff.... Makes for a stronger motor with a broader powerband and a easier to find tuning window... even with rich settings the modded motors will still run strong and idle well.... And of course with a good tune they howl !
OK! OK ! you don't have to yell!! PM sent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.