Community
Wiki Posts
Search

12th Scale Alive and Well again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 05:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

As Decathalon said the resurgence in Australia is refreshing ... a cheap class with minimal car wear and tear ..... keep it coming
Old 10-25-2006, 06:19 AM
Tech Regular

Well, here in the Netherlands we have a 12th scale M-AUTO cup. M-AUTO is a magazine here. It's a fun cup. Touring (the x-ray car) and 2wd pan cars. In the 2wd we have a 19T class and a modified class.

Fun part is. The class is growing and a lot of drivers are picking up the modified class... 12th really seems to be coming back!
Old 10-25-2006, 06:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Can anyone recommend the best servo for 1/12 scale?. I need speed durability and cost considerations. Thanks!
Old 10-25-2006, 06:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rayhuang
hey all,

Did you all notice the number of 12th scale entries at Vegas this year? And it is rumored that many were turned away in lieu of TC (5 minute heats vs 8 minutes). Also, look at the entries for the Halloween Classic this weekend! 65 stock 12th scale entries vs. 85 stock TC entries!! Pretty close.

LONG LIVE 12th Scale!!!
Ray
That's right Ray!................ Alive and well here in Coram, L.I. NY. ( www.southshorehobby.com ).............. The turnouts are gettin bigger and bigger every weekend.

As Ray says: "Long live 1/12 Scale!!"
Old 10-25-2006, 07:23 AM
jrp
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fpart
Can anyone recommend the best servo for 1/12 scale?. I need speed durability and cost considerations. Thanks!
JR Z3550 works very well

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=JRPSZ3550
Old 10-25-2006, 08:11 AM
Tech Adept

I wish this was true in Kent GB. I loved running 1/12th but it only lasted a year. ran along side established 10th TC Rubber and peeps couldn't run two classes. went from 12 cars to 3 or 4. Brits just couldn't be bothered with the foam I think. I was truing using a dremel and a strip of sandpaper stuck to a stick! brought my throttle control on and my TC driving improved no end! Might have to start to travel when i get the itch over the winter!
Old 10-25-2006, 08:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I have the Futaba 9650 and it seems to work very well. Compared to my JR 3550 & Airtronics 94145 it feels smoother & more precise.

Mark
Old 10-25-2006, 09:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

12th scale has been bumping along for years in the NW corner of the States with traditional classes of stock and mod. Our series races cover 3 states and last year there were 6 tracks on the books. The classes were a little thin track to track (4-6 mod) & (8-10 stock). In many cases, mod could not be run due to the lack of numbers. This year, the series director called out for 19T as the recognised series class. After the opener this year,there were 13 entries. While not a "whooper", it is definately a step in the right direction. The hot lap in mod touring was 7.7 while the fast lap in 19t 12th was 7.9.

Big fast fun for not a lot of jingle!
Old 10-25-2006, 10:15 AM
Tech Addict

Hi Brian,

It looks like 19t is gaining momentum around here too. My first love is 1/12 scale just because that's what I started with and all they had back in the day. I plan on getting a 19t pavement car back together and possibly buying/building a new carpet car for the winter. I am a true fan of 1/8 scale onroad but for the winter... it's all about 1/12 (and Mini-Z<g>)!!

BTW fpart, I finally dropped the big coin and got a KO PDS-949 digital. Next to the diff, that had to be the single best upgrade to my car.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jrp

The 3550 is the best 12th servo IMO, but is no longer made. Its replacement, the 3650 is definately not as good. There are some people in the industry putting pressure on JR to re-release the 3550. Lets hope it works!
Old 10-25-2006, 02:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Ed, I followed the link... Interestingly Horizon seems to be listing that it will be back in stock sometime in early Jan. 2007. I know that both Bruce Carbone and Frank Calandra were in the process of talking to JR around the time of the IIC this year. I also got to talk to the JR rep that was at the race (really nice guy), he said something about talking to HQ about getting it back in production. Let's hope that this is indication that JR listens to it's customer base, no matter how small.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by timmay70
Ed, I followed the link... Interestingly Horizon seems to be listing that it will be back in stock sometime in early Jan. 2007. I know that both Bruce Carbone and Frank Calandra were in the process of talking to JR around the time of the IIC this year. I also got to talk to the JR rep that was at the race (really nice guy), he said something about talking to HQ about getting it back in production. Let's hope that this is indication that JR listens to it's customer base, no matter how small.
Yes, and it previously said "back order" so it looks like the 3550 will be back!
Old 10-25-2006, 04:25 PM
Tech Addict

that is good news. That servo is so much better than any of the others I've tried, although the KO is up there as well.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:44 PM
Tech Adept

12th scale has been on the up for 3 or 4 years now over here in the UK. At the tail end of the nineties, you'd usually only see a C final at a 12th scale national. When I started doing the nationals around 3 years ago, there were about 45-50 drivers at each meeting. Last season a lot of the meetings were fully booked (capped at 80), and nearly all of them have had over 70 drivers this year and last.

It seems to be a trend internationally too. The 12th scale European Championships has always been an open entry event (ie if you want to race, you can). For the first time this year, EFRA are going to have to allocate places to each country (IFMAR worlds style) because there were over 60 entries within 2 days of the booking in website opening! I think a lot of this is down to the introduction of odourless additives. The popularity in the UK has also been helped by the introduction of a 19t class a couple of years ago (we run 4-cell 19t on saturdays at nationals, and 4-cell mod/brushless on sundays)

12th scale is easily my favourite class. Unfortunately its almost exclusively a winter class over here, so I have to go and race touring cars over the summer instead.

Someone else from the UK has mentioned the lack of club racing in the UK on this thread already. This is definitely an issue, and the reason for it is basically because there are only a few indoor clubs over here that have large enough track areas to properly cater for 12th scale. You also need at least 3 heats of cars to get a decent grip line down during the meeting, otherwise its like driving on ice!

Personally I dont do any 12th scale club racing for the above reasons, and I only attend the nationals. Most of the national guys are the same. there dont seem to be many drivers who do 12th scale at club level only; unfortunately its nationals or nothing for most drivers.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:20 PM
Tech Regular

well I think with most indoor tracks seen small to run turing cars, Hacking, no room to pass, the 1/12 scale in nimble and with 8 min you can have a change to get back in it, and with LIpo 10,20,30 in the main, what about the bump ups

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.