Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR OFF ROAD FUEL NATIONALS - LEISURE HOURS, JOLIET ILLINOIS

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 07:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by CDSUPERPRO
Hello Dawn. Chris Doseck here that former ifmar world champion and multi roar national champion! Wanted to express my thoughts on the current entry system. I know you can only host so many entries. But it really isnt a fair system. When you have true champions that want to compete at a Roar National event and didnt even have a prayer of entering it seems to me their has to be a better way. Looks like the pro series will see my business this year. Ive been putting in a lot of effort recently gearing up for this offroad Nationals. I am not the only one in this area that wanted to compete in the event on my level! My point I guess I know every one wants to race but a National Champion is a true Champion when the best are competing for the win. Thanks for listening to my opion
Sincerly CD
CD RACING USA IFMAR WORLD CHAMPIONS
Chris, with all due respect - you aren't known nationally as a fuel off-road racer. Yes, you are an IFMAR world champ but not in offroad. Where did you finish (or even compete) at a previous ROAR fuel off-road nats? Dawn and ROAR are a lot of things but mind readers isn't on that list.

My point is, even if ROAR held spots for "past champions" how far should they logically take this?

- David
Old 05-19-2009, 07:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I for one wouldn't mind seeing some type of points structure. I'm by no means at any level to think of going to the nationals even if they are at my home track this year, so I'm not just saying this becasue I didn't get in or anything.

But there should be some type of structure like the Proseries has where there is differnt regioins and they have a number of races through the year to gain the points for the nats. At then end of the year the points are looked at and X amount of spots from the top of thre region is granted a spot. To make it fair you then would have a open sign up for anyone else that would like to race.

It not only would help decide who was already in but it would also get more people involved with ROAR since they would have to have a membership and then you would hopefully give some of the tracks bigger turnouts of people.

To me not to many people care to much about just normal club racing as they used to. They all wanna go to the big races with or without points and see how they fair, I know I'm one of them.

Just my .02
Old 05-19-2009, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by driverbob
Here's my opinion...I'm not sure I feel that entirely comfortable on having qualifying series as I'm one of those club racers and if qualifying for that event was done that way I wouldn't think it is fair as this may be my only chance to run with the pros. I guess for me for a little while I can feel like one of the pros and I know racer etiquette and the pros can pass the slower guys easily and if you're faster than me I get out of the way when I can get a corner or spot that allows. My suggestion is to create two classes for the Roar Nats, expert/pro and intermediate. This way the truck nats and buggy nats can be split up again and still get probably the same amount of people. That way an intermediate driver like me will have my own national champ class and then the expert/pro class can be for best of the best to duke it out for the Roar nats. I also thought about sandbagging or racers going into the expert that shouldn't be. That could be simply solved by during sign up have it set up for track experience and years of racing and have a min set at 1 year for the first year to be able to go into expert. Also since there is practice you can have it setup like qualifying and that way if the ROAR officials see a driver that probably should move up to expert they can and vice versa for intermediate.
Also I thought about qualifying for worlds and usually it is the top 40 that go you can have the top 30 in expert qualify and the top 10 in intermediate qualify as usually the top 10 in intermediate are usually the ones that could move up to expert easily.

This is just an idea as I know this year it is too late for changes, but for future events I feel could be a good idea for the nats for both the little guy and the big guys in this sport. Plus it gives drivers that are novice to intermediate a chance to shine in the spotlight as well as all the pro drivers and will definitely help the sport grow.
Intermediate class in the nats..... hmm. Man up and run expert maybe?
intermediate is for RCP, if thats the class you want to run in you should go there.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

+1 I agree with not having the intermediate at nationals. We really need to remember that this is the Nats not just a normal race that can be put on. I'm not by any means trying to defend ROAR or any thing like that but I would think that a TON of time has been put into getting this race setup and if we put the intermediate class in there could you imagine how much longer it would take.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

every other type of racing, no matter what kind has class distiction of some sort. Stock, Super Stock, Mod etc for R/C.

Why is 1/8 nitro different?

The biggest problem is where should you be, cause there is always someone that is running a class they shouldn't be whether it be to high or to low...

BTW, I'm a past ROAR national champion
Old 05-19-2009, 09:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Danny B
every other type of racing, no matter what kind has class distiction of some sort. Stock, Super Stock, Mod etc for R/C.

Why is 1/8 nitro different?

The biggest problem is where should you be, cause there is always someone that is running a class they shouldn't be whether it be to high or to low...

BTW, I'm a past ROAR national champion

Stock, Super Stock, Mod, etc are to do with the rules and regulations of the cars. All 1/8 scale cars that participate have the same standards, i.e. fuel tank size, width, weight, engine size, etc....

Is the Super Stock class split into intermediate and expert?
Old 05-19-2009, 09:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This is a race that I knew way in advance that I wanted to enter and I knew it would fill up fast. So I signed up 20 min. after sign ups opened. Just like when there is a new game console or whatever it may bee. If you want one bad enough you will make sure you are one of the first in line.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Your National Champion level drivers don't make this race happen financially. It is the regular racer/membership who puts this race on for the top drivers.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Well, I'm the ROAR President and we will follow ROAR rules as they stand. Points are being made and I appreciate the input.

Doseck..... will we see you in Joliet this year? I'll be interested in finally meeting you and observing your racing.

Dawn Sanchez
Old 05-19-2009, 10:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chickenfarmer
Stock, Super Stock, Mod, etc are to do with the rules and regulations of the cars. All 1/8 scale cars that participate have the same standards, i.e. fuel tank size, width, weight, engine size, etc....

Is the Super Stock class split into intermediate and expert?
Motor is the only difference in other forms and sometimes a handout tire for some classes.

When 19t was the biggest oval class it was split, at the major non-roar events.

I really don't care either way. I've been doing this long enough to know where I stand against the competition whether it is oval, on-road or off-road. and I set my expectations toward that.

Assuming heats are just random draw, I look forward letting one or two "pro" drivers blow by me in the first two rounds, then get resorted to drivers closer to my skill level and racing it up.

all other bs aside, this race will be awesome. LH is an awesome place to race and the crew there is top notch.

Danny Bartholomew
Old 05-19-2009, 12:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Danny B

Assuming heats are just random draw, I look forward letting one or two "pro" drivers blow by me in the first two rounds, then get resorted to drivers closer to my skill level and racing it up.

all other bs aside, this race will be awesome. LH is an awesome place to race and the crew there is top notch.

Danny Bartholomew

+1.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yes DKingston, I have not competed @ a Roar Fuel Nationals. Thats why I so wanted to attend this year. I have won regionals in electric off road and placed in the top 10 in Columbus points and their winter MD.W in nitro OFF ROAD(FOR THE RECORD)LOL. Finished 3rd @ Fastrx. last event, oh wait 4th Curtdog threw down a 21 sec. lap and I had a crash lol( we were both ahead of many factory drivers). Fastrax is the Pro Series Host for this weekend! As for Factory guys not supporting Nationals. I have spent thousands$$$, not complaning I am a racer and always will be. I have a life long passion for racing. Johnny T, Driver Bob, both bring some great suggestions. Shane Racer, your the man and I agree with you %100. I didnt know the secret roar rule though; as for when and how these sign ups work lately. I have always been able to mail them in just like everyone else. Talking to alot of the top racers ;1/8 buggy has sold out the last year. I would think Roar would want to consider a Seperate Nationals for Truggy! Possibly allowing more people to compete for both titles. Since were addressing racing. I have been approached by several people always asking me what do you win? Their example; my friend spent $50 @ the drag strip and left with hundreds, some thousands! Well maybe its time to take a serious look @ racing; its future potential for National level competitors and weekend warriors! I consider myself to be both! Who is the current roar competion director? Just Curious. Looking forward to meeting you Dawn. I have a few other constructive opinions for Roar. Concerning the dying local electric racing tht. has been taking place in on-road. Sorry I missed you @ the Carpet Nats. Dont take me wrong anyone please, Roar is the best orginz. out their now and has been for years. I only want to see Racing be @ its best and grow. Thanks to Dawn and all the people that are working for Roar, for all your help and support! Current Roar member for over 20 yrs.
TTYL
CD
CD RACING USA IFMAR WORLD CHAMPIONS
Old 05-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Tech Elite

wow.

it would be great if sportsmen ran but it would take two weeks to run the event and no track in the world could hold up to that many cars and us old fat guys running around.lol

with this many people into the 1/8 offroad, the sportsmen could have their own nats. maybe a couple of weeks after the pro nats to give the track crew time to rebuild the track and to take a break? you could have the event at a different track/state but it would be nice for the sportsmen to run on the same layout and use some of the same setups the pro's used and see how their lap times compare. just a thought, i know alot of guys wont run the nats because they have no chance of running against the paid drivers.

i cant wait for this race, i'll be the old,fat,sunburned guy having a great time!
Old 05-19-2009, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I think Dawn has been pretty positive in her ROAR dealings. I'm also sure it takes some time to get a "new" plan put in place for the Nationals. What I bet ROAR does not want to happen is to rush a plan into place only to have it not work out well for all involved. My guess is this is the reason for not seeing something new as of yet.

But just thinking out loud here...

We have the nationals, lets say for 2010. We have a truggy/buggy limit cap of 350(or whatever that number is). I think a good plan would be to allow one week for the previous, national champions(in fuel offroad) to get membership worked out/entry paid. During this time ROAR would also allow the top say 60 at the previous nationals to get things sent in as well. The top 60 will mostly include factory drivers and 30 or so drivers supported by teams who may not be at a "factory" level yet still cream of the crop within our type racing.

After this week period we have approx 280 entries left open. Then ROAR could allow a certain period of time for the top 30 drivers in each region(not already entered) to register for the event. At some point earlier during the year, roar would have needed to have 1 roar track in each region to decide who the top 30 would be, and of course all would be members. That's simply one race in each region. I feel like that can easily be put in place.

Following this time that is open for the top 30 in each region the Nationals may or may not have open spots. Should the event have 20 spots left after the above mentioned process then applications should be sent in, looked through and the following entries placed to fill the event.

The end result will be a nationals with the best our country has to offer competing for the title. We have one race in each region to establish who is the top 20-30, and although we have a lot of races these days the "mandatory" regional event will carry some credit to it and racers would attend. If they did not they have no gripe down the road.

But good job so far Dawn!
Old 05-19-2009, 01:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Not all ROAR regions hold nitro regionals, for what that's worth.

I understand that the idea behind combining truggy and buggy this year was to cut down on travel costs for the participants. That idea was good. It seems like there are too many people out there who want to run in nationals to allow the classes to be combined and get everything done in a reasonable amount of time though.

That's a good problem to have!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.