Wiki Posts
Search

Best Quality/Value Touring car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 10:12 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

So far the GT4S is the only version GT4 to come with a Centax.

Oh, for the best quality, I would have to say Serpent, Mugen, or Kyosho. Yokomo's parts fit precisely but the parts material isn't bulletproof like the other three I mentioned but decent enough.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:18 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

teh only problem with Kyosho is that NO ONE at great planes or HOBBICO ever knows anything about the car.....New parts might come out,and there is no way you are evr able to call or get info on running changes,etc...

PLUS,when that car is gone from the line up,good- bye parts....I lived through that with the spider series...thats why I ended up with an Impulse...and to this day,EVERY PART is available,and YOU can call ralph burch and he will help you personally....

and no car is higher quality than Serpent parts.....or as innovative when it comes to racing stuff for it

not only that,but the kyosho stuff may be even more money that Impulse parts..
Old 02-11-2003, 05:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Just my 2-cents, and this is coming from a big NTC3 fan, if your looking for a deal on a awesome belt driven race bred car, go for the MTX-3 kit with the engine. Add electronics and a body and your ready to race with a very race worthy car. You can get replacement parts & hop-ups everywhere, and you would never be able to put a car together with a motor, pipe, tires, and the options that are standard for the money. Like I said, just my 2-cents. This will be a popular car at the track this year.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Between the MTX-3 and the 705 which one would require the least amount of hopping up to be competative? I'm leaning towards the MTX-3 but it seems the 705 comes with more of the "good stuff".

I'm going to give nitro sedan a try and I'm glad I read this thread because I was ready to order a Reflex but it seems like the MTX-3 and 705 might be better cars.
Old 02-12-2003, 12:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

mtx-3 is the best all around car IMO

mtx-3 with engine pipe header and foam tires is like 520 a great deal

engine is mr-12 is nova based and runs great pipe and header are good also

mtx-3 comes with graphite stuff centax swaybars lowered engine mounts some of the other cars dont

box stock setup works really well

and its one of the strongest cars out there as far as durability

i had a ntc3 a while ago and it was too easy to break and required alot of maintenance
Old 02-12-2003, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

I thought that the MTX3 was still only offered with an MT-12?
I expected that Mugen would have offered the MTX3 with the MR12 right away... but they didn't.

I'm personally biased to Mugen, but I would also include the 705 alongside it as the top recommendation. However, the parts sitruation for Serpent has always been a bad deal. Sure the car is strong, but I think mugen parts support is top notch. It is possible that you might never need spare parts, and it is also possible that the serpent parts support has improved, in which case, your decision is much more difficult.

If the Mugen now comes with an MR12, then I would say you should get it. It has more mid range power (a couple of feet just past most corners) than any engine I have seen on my track. And its top speed is perfect for most American-style tracks. If it comes with the MT12 still, that engine is still faster than OS competition engines and the like.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Im2lazy
I thought that the MTX3 was still only offered with an MT-12?
I expected that Mugen would have offered the MTX3 with the MR12 right away... but they didn't.

I'm personally biased to Mugen, but I would also include the 705 alongside it as the top recommendation. However, the parts sitruation for Serpent has always been a bad deal. Sure the car is strong, but I think mugen parts support is top notch. It is possible that you might never need spare parts, and it is also possible that the serpent parts support has improved, in which case, your decision is much more difficult.

If the Mugen now comes with an MR12, then I would say you should get it. It has more mid range power (a couple of feet just past most corners) than any engine I have seen on my track. And its top speed is perfect for most American-style tracks. If it comes with the MT12 still, that engine is still faster than OS competition engines and the like.
Weighing in on the mtx3 kit w/engine for best all around kit for money. It has always been available with the mr12 since the kit was first released.

Kyosho RR is right there, but you'll be putting mtx3 parts on it to make it keep up with the mugens.

Serpent stuff may cost $$$ but it's not as durable IMO as kyosho and the parts are much more expensive.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:00 PM
Tech Addict

IMO, the two cars that fit your bill would be the MTX-3 and the V One RR. Mugen and Kyosho kits seem to go together flawlessly and dont require hand fitting. Serpent kit definitely needs a bit more massaging to go together well. As far as durability goes Serpent, Mugen, and the Kyosho car are all durable. For value the MTX-3 kit with engine & pipe is a great deal. The V One RR kit compared to the MTX-3 kit is very similar in price, but the MTX-3 does come with that nice machined chassis and carbon plate.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Yeah, Mugen or Kyosho. I personally have a kyosho and it's super durable, and it has a fairly good stock setup.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:05 AM
Tech Master

Weighing in on the mtx3 kit w/engine for best all around kit for money. It has always been available with the mr12 since the kit was first released.
I wish I knew this . Truthfully, I haven't seen one anywhere , but then again, I haven't looked hard. I'm doing okay with my MTX2 and I'm not about to buy a new kit (read: "I'm not getting a new touring car for another year-and-a-half).

Kind of amazing that I forgot to put the Kyosho up either, seeing as about a quarter of my track has one. It is also a great car, but I think that some of the new cars have taken half a step in front of it.

*course, a couple cars have taken a whole step in front of my personal ride*

Last edited by Im2lazy; 02-13-2003 at 12:07 AM.