Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree65Likes

TC3 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2001, 07:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yea just looking at new manual so I will compare part numbers up and order my stuff next weeks, as I need to walk in to town and pay my rent. Then out to check out a LHS where I just moved to. Wish I could run today but there is snow on the ground besides winter is usually wet over here anyway
Old 12-31-2001, 01:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm curious as to the different effects of droop on my chassis. I've fiddled with it a bit and don't seem to notice a huge difference. Most of the time I alter it I've made some other change on the car as well, so it's hard to isolate the changes. Does anyone have a good "nutshell" explanation? It would seem it can limit traction in one way or another. Does less droop = less traction on that end of the car??
Old 12-31-2001, 01:19 PM
Tech Adept

What the droop screws do is allow you to control chassis roll. The further you turn down the screw the less arm that is on the outside in a turn can extend keeping the chassis flatter. Roll can give you more traction up to the point that you exceede the traction limits of the tire, then you loose all traction.

Extreeme RC magazine unlike the other mags is full of suspension tuning articles and the like. Ill look in my issues and list the article by month, I know there is one on droop.
Old 12-31-2001, 01:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Cool! Thanks... that's what I figured. I race on relatively low-bite ozite on a very cold concrete floor... I've found that overall increasing the droop has helped corner traction, but perhaps I've hit that point where I'm exceeding the max traction of the tire, so any more droop really won't help. Now I'll just limit the droop on the end of the car that has "too much" bite for a given situation, and that should help settle down the chassis.
Old 12-31-2001, 02:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

ok im trying to find out what length the cvd bone for a rally tc3 is im trying to fit some blue bones onto a rs4 so if ne one has a rally tc3 could u measure the bone not including the spindal and if its possible in mm thanks
Old 12-31-2001, 02:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

total length 55mm from center to center of pins 51.5
Old 01-01-2002, 02:18 AM
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

DROOP.

The explanations given are correct, more droop = more body roll = more grip....but only up to a certain point. You can overdo it.

We run my son's TC3 without any droop spacers (limiters) in the shocks. It still has the old chassis and arms so that is the only droop adjustment.

I run my MR4 SP with plenty of droop both front and rear. It seems to handle OK.

But the best proof came recently with my real race car. When we bought it about a year ago we just coudln't figure out why our results were so bad. I did 3 or 4 events and could never improve on around 20th overall - with a car that should have been in the top 10. I blamed my driving, thinking it was just a case of old age catching up.

Then my brother who, at 52 is three years my junior drove it for a couple of events, and the results were just the same. In fact on a couple of events where we both drove it we finished 20th and 21st overall, with almost identical times.

A couple of months ago I took all the suspension apart and rebuilt it softer on both springing and damping, and put lots more travel (and droop) into it. Result - 7th overall, after a load of single seaters.

Great to see us take RC technology to the real thing. It's usually the opposite.

Happy new year.

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 01-01-2002, 07:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default IRS chassie

I know its not needed and really is just eye candy but it does look cool. Does anyone run this? How does it compare to the stock TC3 chassie for weight stiffness and most importantly durability/strength. I would hate to pay 150 for it have a board hit and bye bye. I probably wont get it but just currious. I try to spend money on "good" stuff. First new part this year will be the BRP front bumper and nerf wings
Old 01-01-2002, 08:56 AM
Tech Adept

Plate graphite typically isnt as durable as the molded stuff, it can de-laminate. I have heard quite a few people say the IRS chassis twists easier.
Old 01-01-2002, 09:25 AM
Tech Adept

hey john bull what type of race car is it? an old v8 supercar racer?
Old 01-01-2002, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: IRS chassie

Originally posted by Buda
I know its not needed and really is just eye candy but it does look cool. Does anyone run this? How does it compare to the stock TC3 chassie for weight stiffness and most importantly durability/strength. I would hate to pay 150 for it have a board hit and bye bye. I probably wont get it but just currious. I try to spend money on "good" stuff. First new part this year will be the BRP front bumper and nerf wings
Buda - I run the IRS chassis on both of my tc3s. Really, they are just eye candy. When i compared the weight of the IRS chassis (with the aluminum standoffs and the center brace installed) to the weight of the graphite chassis, it felt exactly the same. Although, I do feel that it helped my car handle better. When ever I tell it to do something, the car does exactly what I want and never never ever loses traction. When I added the grahite stiffining kit the handling was even better. I use futaba stardard servos with 41 oz. of torque and a .22 trasit time. When my friend drove it we could have swore that I had a high torque high speed servo in it because the handling was so great. Really it depends on your drviing style if you need it or not. I am a pretty erratic driver and crank they whell all the way to the left and all the way to the right and barely let of the trottle the gas it in the turn. It just the way I drive and the IRS chassis helped lots. If you do it get it I would locktight the standoffs to the chassi, because when you use a mod motor, the screws will back out and you will lose them. I use everysingle IRS part on my tc3 and the car weight 50.1 oz. Not bad with all the aluminum. IRS customer servcie is the best out there too. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Old 01-01-2002, 11:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

hey buda thanks for the length on the cvd
Old 01-01-2002, 11:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default to Modena Al

Tx I probably should/will get some other stuff first like the brp stuff and ti turnbuckles as well as threaded shocks for easier adjustability. And I need to really stock up on tires and rims to. But I may have an insurance check comming soon so after I pay my wifes delinquint bills (long divorce story) you never know I dont know it really does look cool with the stiffining kit. BTW I drive like crap and will be racing on old astro turf and med-high grip asphalt (where they held the ready inntl in england). BTW do you have a picture of it to post?
Old 01-01-2002, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: to Modena Al

Originally posted by Buda
BTW I drive like crap and will be racing on old astro turf and med-high grip asphalt (where they held the ready inntl in england).
The 2001 Reedy International was held in the SMMCC track, located on Snetterton, Norwich¿?.

I went to that race and boy, those mad 'Top Guns' fly very, very low...

This year we'll await them at 'our track', located in Alcobendas (Madrid). the best of Alcobendas track is the >210Ft straight. Is pretty scaring to see those 'little' cars exceed 80Km/h and need to brake to get the hairpin (some had slammed their cars to the concrete wall and say goodbye to the car, and this really hurts).

Last edited by Corse-R; 01-01-2002 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-01-2002, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Buda - I will get a pic for you to marvel at tonight. One of my racing buddies said it looks like something out of starwars

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.