Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
V-ONE S Thread >

V-ONE S Thread

V-ONE S Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 11:04 AM
Tech Initiate

frequency? how would i know what frequency am i on? on my control it says 40mhz and theres this thing u can take out and it has a crystal and that says fm tx 69
Old 04-09-2004, 02:24 AM
Tech Addict

HEY GUYS....

IM BACK...

I had a look through the last 2 pages of this thread, and the original guys seem to of disappeared, so you lot most likely won't remember me...

Names Matt...
I come here with a problem...

Now my V-One S is dead standard...
its on its 4th Litre of fuel (and yeah its a fair bit old, over 2 y/o and only young engine)
Anyway...
The tune is like YUCK...
On a full tank, she is rough and rich, really bogs, wont rev up...

But i hit 1/4tank of fuel left... i hit the throttle and you can actually hear it break traction and it really pulls out to red line really quick...

Its beautiful thing when running at its peak performance...

Now if i tune the first part of the tank as optimum, i run into a lean engine run by the end of the tank...

How can i fix this?

Im thinking it is the pressure from the exhaust giving less force at lower tank levels...

(same amount of exhaust gases, but more room to fill, allowing less pressure on the tank of fuel...)
(same exhaust gas volume, less area in the tank, giving high pressure...)

Is there anysort of device i can put between the exhaust and tank on the pressure line that will hold pressure equal?
(pressure in tank rises, valve closes, pressure drops, valve opens?)
Sorta like a Wastegate on a Turbo, but from pressure not electronic controlled...

Thanks Guys...

Will be back a bit more often hopefully...

(Looking at porting my GS15-R when it blows up... I'm too stingy to buy a good motor, so i rebuild and work it... )
Old 04-09-2004, 06:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Phillpy, just ask anyone if they are on channel 69. basically you got good radio gear as its FM and 40mhz which alot of people now have but many use AM. its just like a radio station 101.9 fox fm, 101.1 TT FM they all use different frequency. Your on 40.XXX FM but your on channel 69 thats pretty much all you need to remember.

And V-ONE-S your problem sounds interesting but i doubt that there as any device that will control this pressure problem that you have. definetely no valve operating equipments in nitro rc. even the engines dont use exhaust and inlet valves.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:32 AM
Tech Initiate

hey !

i got my cover and finsihed painting it, i am going to the tracks next week to get some practise
Old 04-10-2004, 03:38 AM
Tech Addict

Hey guys...

I posted basically exactly the same thing up in the nitro engine thread area...
And basically its
a) Get the new V-One S tank with the baffle in it
b) Do an air leak test...

So im going to do an air leak test on it, might try and seal it for a while, and if not, I'll buy the new tank...

Hopefully I'll be around a little bit more, and be a bit helpful...

And yeah I knew they didnt use valves in the motors, there a 2stroke port engine...
Really cool i think seeing as the exhaust and intake is open at the same time, and then the exhaust is left open last...
Its wierd as you'd think you'd loose your crank full of fuel into the exhaust, but you dont... its good i think...
Old 04-11-2004, 07:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default New Engine or Rebuild - GS15R

Hi All,
Just after some thoughts, I have a V-One SII, 4 weeks old and about 10 hours running time. It all went bang today at the local basketball courts. Broken conrod, seems like the crank is bent and the piston has a broken skirt. Not real sure what went wrong, I thought I ran it in well, all seemed fine. It was doing about 3/4 throttle in second gear when it ran out of fuel, not sure if that is the cause. Could it be a warranty claim?

I was wondering if I should rebuild it, at a cost of about $50US or buy a new engine. I dont have a lot to spend.

What do you recommend?

Dazza
Old 04-11-2004, 07:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: New Engine or Rebuild - GS15R

Originally posted by dazza
Hi All,
Just after some thoughts, I have a V-One SII, 4 weeks old and about 10 hours running time. It all went bang today at the local basketball courts. Broken conrod, seems like the crank is bent and the piston has a broken skirt. Not real sure what went wrong, I thought I ran it in well, all seemed fine. It was doing about 3/4 throttle in second gear when it ran out of fuel, not sure if that is the cause. Could it be a warranty claim?

I was wondering if I should rebuild it, at a cost of about $50US or buy a new engine. I dont have a lot to spend.

What do you recommend?

Dazza
so far i would recomment a rebuild thats piston, lining and conrod. but im a newbie so just wait for some more advice as a experienced VoneS driver will tell you what went wrong! but of course i believe when driving on a basketball court things dont last that long as your constantly reving it up and down the court! how many tanks did you run the engine it?
Old 04-11-2004, 08:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi BrainTeased,
My run in process was as follows

3 tanks of 5%, running the engine for 5 mins at a time with 3 full mix screws out, letting it cool right down between sessions.

I then leaned it up 1/4 turn each tank for the next 3 tanks, letting it cool between tanks.

Then the rest of the 1 litre bottle at just over idle, car moving at walking pace. Once again letting it cool right down between tanks.

Then started using 10%, with the mix screw at about 1 1/2 turns out.

The only thing I did different one Saturday was I ran the car for 2 tanks without letting it cool down. Maybe that was the mistake.

The basket ball courts are 3 courts side by side and we have drawn a track on them, it does have one long straight were you can really wind it out but other than that it is turns some fast and some slow.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:26 AM
Tech Addict

So your engine was broken in basically barely moving?
BAD move...
It would be cheaper to re build the engine... But are you going to be doing some club meetings and what are there rules if so?

Are you going to be wanting extra power soon on?
What are you challenging against?

Really with your break in I was told to break in, on what you plan to run on...
I had planned to run on 20%nitro and 18% oil...
And I broke it in on 20% nitro and 20%oil (extra oil for break in)

But now im back running at 16%Nitro, and from memory 20% oil for extra lube cause im only street running now...

Now this break in worked for me REALLY well...

Start the motor up, let it warm up for a bout 30seconds WITHOUT stalling, and keep the wheels IN THE AIR, so start it on a block of wood or something...
Then just drive up and down your street at about 1/4-1/2 throttle...
Do this for about 4 tanks really...
I didn't let mine cool down either... but after about 2-3tanks ago i got bored and packed up so it did get cool down in the break in...
Then after that 4th tank, start to wind it up more in speed,
People generally recommend 1/2 throttle and slowly lean it in, BUT I didnot do this...
Basically, while still running fairly rich, allow the motor to rev up... DO NOT JUMP ON THE BRAKES and dont just slam the throttle open...
(The GS-15r takes a fair lot of revs too) but dont ever fully peak rev...
After about the 8th tank i was really touching on my max rev threshold, that was when i leaned my motor in about 1/8th of a turn, and then the tank after i went in another 1/8th..
So really over the whole break in i only leaned in 1/4 of a turn ON HIGH... NEVER TOUCH THE LOW SPEED WHEN BREAKING IN...

Anywho... my break in also consisted of drag racing my uncles V8...
The reason i dont lean it in much when i broke in, was because i was touching some very high revs...
I have had zero problems with the motor after breaking it in...
And after putting 1 litre through the tank, I made a slight adjustment on low speed, and really left the top end a little bit rich because i was street running...
If your on the basketball court, and only racing against mates, let it run slightly rich, itll save the motor, and if the day it cools down, the motor will really come on and perform, because its basically picked up an optimum tune...
But basically run slightly rich, let it blow a little bit more smoke then a perfect tune... its being on the safe side...

And after running in, change the glow plug...
If your running at club meets, You can run the optimum tune, it will allow you to be on time, but i still keep slightly rich when i was at club runs, it just gives a safety buffer for us poorer people...
I dont have the money to put into new motors...

If you answer my questions from above, we can help and decide whether you should rebuild your engine, or get a better more power ful one...

But remember, its not always just buy a new motor and bolt it in, sometimes you need new flywheels, different clutches and clutch bells, and different mounting plates...
Old 04-12-2004, 12:32 AM
Tech Addict

hey Dazza, where you from?
Old 04-12-2004, 12:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi V-One S,
Thanks for your advice, I am from Kingaroy Queensland Australia, we dont have a club here and the nearewst one is about 3 hours away. So I guess there is no need for a faster engine.

I have bought a second car for myself and my wife has the one i blew up.. . I was driving her car while my daughter was running in my new car. I am almost doing what you said with the second one. I have adjusted the throttle so it is running about 1/4 revs and my daughter is basically steering it so it does not hit anything.

We only race for fun against mates. Maybe one day Kingaroy will start up a club, we seem to get a good crowd watching us screeming around the courts.

I guess I have decided to rebuild it, unless i can find a cheap GS15R to replace it. I will ring the LHS on Tuesday to see what they have. Maybe they have someone who wanted the V-One S but wanted to put a faster engine in it. Lets hope.

I have looked around at new engines but none seem to have the same mounting points.

Thanks\
Dazza
Old 04-12-2004, 12:54 AM
Tech Addict

Well, if it's only against friends, it seems like you only need the stock engine...

So really I'd look around at a new gs15-r or rebuilding it...

Now, something to think about if you know some one in the trade, or can do it yourself... Do a engine port job... but becareful its easy to fark up, and you can't reverse it... but that will give you more power...

Also, when your going down that main straight, how long do you touch max revs for? like does the engine seem to not want to rev any further?

And maybe you should think about starting up a club, just put the word around of a club, and just try and keep running at the courts, charge a small membership fee yearly, maybe a $5 race meet fee, and save up and buy some track timing gear or something...

or just keep running how you are...
But let everyone know, everyone who works the club, volunteers too... no one takes money from it...
Old 04-12-2004, 01:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Going down the long straight it only hits second gear for about 20 meters. No where near peak revs. I have it changing into second about 3/4 revs. I did want to look after the engine, that is why i set it like that. Before I put the 2 speed in it, it would rear near peak revs and hold that down the straight.

Port job? ... I am listening
Old 04-12-2004, 01:08 AM
Tech Addict

Port job...
Well they can be tricky,
You can either change the ports to open/close early and later...
OR just have a larger port, open and close at the same time...
Exhaust and Inlet...

The best thing i've been told to do though...
If you have the stock exhaust, open it, take out that little baffle, put the BIG o ring back into the exhaust, andput a touch of lock tite on to stop it leaking...
Now, match the exhaust port size on the motor, to the same size as the manifold...
Really allows them to breath better...
Old 04-12-2004, 01:39 AM
Tech Addict

this might help
http://www.rcnitro.com/rn/articles/engine_timing.asp

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.