Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ofna spout fuel bottle question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 03:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Ofna spout fuel bottle question

Anyone has every used or owned an ofna 500 cc spout fuel bottle? The orange one?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBDU4&P=7

I used it for the first time the other day. It doesn't help with fuel spills at all! In fact fuel will continue to gush out none stop. Am I missing something? How does it auto stop? Also, it didn't come with an instruction so I didn't know if I put it together correctly. There is a piece of rubber that I don't know where it goes..any help would be appreciated...thx.

G
Old 09-03-2003, 04:44 AM
Tech Master

The fuel does flow out of the spout faster, but I don't know if I have mine right either. It doesn't seem to have the auto-stop function it advertises.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Does the bottle have a vent tube in it along the fuel delivery tube?

I'm going to throw out a guess here but I would imagine that once the tip is under the fuel it should shut off the bottles ventilation and the flow should slow to stop.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yea, I finally called up Ofna....the way it works is - you have to stick the delivery tube in the tank and keep it at the the level where you want the fuel to stop. Once the tip of the tube touches the fuel as it comes up - it'll stop. I'll have to try that.

One minor detail is now that you got the fuel stopped...how do you get it out without spilling all over the place?! I would imagine once it's exposed to 'air' again, it'll gush out.

G
Old 09-03-2003, 03:05 PM
Tech Master

sounds like a good idea gone bad
Old 09-03-2003, 04:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default I'm on it

I have been trying a few of my designs for a one handed fuel bottle that is fast and doesn't spill !!! I'm almost there so when I build one that is reliable I will post it ! My goal here is to not have a gas cap instead retrofit it with a valve that I can shove the nozzle of the fill bottle in fill the tank and just pull it out with out spilling a drop. It's a little harder then I thought it would be but think of the advantages in the pit stops not to mention the mess your over anxious pit crew that got more gas on your chassie then in the tank!
Old 09-04-2003, 09:04 PM
Tech Regular

yeah, the auto stop doesnt work. (i just used one of these bottles when pitting for a friend at the hpi challenge in the northeast) BUT the bottles soft material makes it easy to squeeze and fill the tank up fast. so i ordered one for myself, gonna bring it to the worlds.

without spending big bucks on a real fuel gun i dont think you'll find anything to avoid the mess. dont worry about it, a little denatured alcohol after racing is a lot cheaper.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by loosenut
Yea, I finally called up Ofna....the way it works is - you have to stick the delivery tube in the tank and keep it at the the level where you want the fuel to stop. Once the tip of the tube touches the fuel as it comes up - it'll stop. I'll have to try that.

One minor detail is now that you got the fuel stopped...how do you get it out without spilling all over the place?! I would imagine once it's exposed to 'air' again, it'll gush out.

G
I was a bit perplexed by this fuel bottle. I decided to try my bottle out on two glasses of water before race day. Here is what I learned, the thin tube allows the pressure to equalize within the fuel bottle itself ( I.E. Two bodies of liquid at the same level remain level). If you apply pressure to the bottle it will force the fuel out. I think what is "key" is as your car tank fills up near the top you should stop applying "more" pressure to the bottle. The black rubber piece allows you to determine what this level is inside the cars tank. I placed mine on the spout and the edge of the black piece rests on the tank edge. Everything rests on attention to small details... I'd like to keep this thread going and see what more people have to say. I don't believe I've got this 100% figured out and have no idea how good it will work in the future but I don't think you can write this one off yet.