Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why touring?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 10:17 AM
Tech Legend

G Ory !!!

You mean to say there is`nt any competition in off-road ?

Lots of drivers just like you, do the dirt....
Old 12-15-2005, 02:06 PM
Tech Master

Why Touring?

For me touring is the best class for RC car racing. There's more to learn in terms of set-ups in everything (suspension, droop, camber, etc) compared to 1/12 scale racing. Another factor is the driving techniques. I have not raced nor driven a 1/12 before but I thnk it's more about high speed rather than driving techniques. 1/10 touring class is the choice of most racers here too.

Just my 2 cents... ...too

Old 12-15-2005, 10:56 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I love the people who try to compare 1/12th to 1/10th TC yet have never driven a 1/12th pancar before Even better yet is proclaiming one class the best when you've never driven anything but that class...

1/12th is all about driving technique and throttle control.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ike
I love the people who try to compare 1/12th to 1/10th TC yet have never driven a 1/12th pancar before Even better yet is proclaiming one class the best when you've never driven anything but that class...

1/12th is all about driving technique and throttle control.

Also...we all know that 1/12th cars are way more fun to drive.

Compared to a 12th a TC feels like an overpowered schoolbus.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nicadrauspro4
Why Touring?

For me touring is the best class for RC car racing. There's more to learn in terms of set-ups in everything (suspension, droop, camber, etc) compared to 1/12 scale racing. Another factor is the driving techniques. I have not raced nor driven a 1/12 before but I thnk it's more about high speed rather than driving techniques. 1/10 touring class is the choice of most racers here too.

Just my 2 cents... ...too

You obviously never seriously ran 1/12th. As 1/12th taught me MORE about suspension and tuning than I ever learned in 4 years of racing TCs. A 1/12th will school you on setting proper camber and caster.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:38 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Soviet
You obviously never seriously ran 1/12th. As 1/12th taught me MORE about suspension and tuning than I ever learned in 4 years of racing TCs. A 1/12th will school you on setting proper camber and caster.
For me 1/12 has more to do with tire selection than just about anything else.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:18 AM

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There IS an alternative onroad class to 1/12 and tc: 1/10th pancar.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...17#post2005717
People say it's too expensive to run, I find it waaaaay cheaper than TC and even 1/12th scale (both of which I run/ran).
People say it can't be run on small parking lot tracks. That's where the class originated from!
People say you can't get any parts for these cars anymore. Just look at Stormer Hobbies. They stock it all.
People say these cars are ugly. I love the old Lemans Group C look. That's what got me into this hobby! All a matter of preference.
For some pictures go here:
http://www.pbase.com/epeters

For those who are interested:
I am starting a new racing series for this class in the Netherlands and western Germany. EVMC Velp (www.evmc.nl) and MAC Walsum (www.mac-walsum.de) have promised to let us run during one of their club races, AMCA Apeldoorn (www.amcaracing.nl) will take it up at their meeting next wednesday. Further I am looking into racing at Oberhausen and Utrecht.

Racing classes will be 19t stock and mod.

PM me if you want more info. A website will be made soon.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

One word for BlackKat: XMODS
Old 12-28-2005, 02:41 PM
Tech Initiate

The way me and my Dad look at it...

Golf - you have to pay a 4 figure sum for membership a year, if you get in!

Fishing - Tackle is expensive, over here you also need licenses, Don't know about anywhere else.

Pool/Snooker - I know guys that have paid £450 for pub cues!
Old 12-28-2005, 07:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by BlackKat
I want to race-not blow massive amounts of money on a-toy car. Why do you guys see it fit to spend so much more money on something when it can be done with more talent involved. Maybe you guys don't have the talent and want to mask it by spending money?

i race tc with an old tc3 racer kit, plastic everything, even shocks. the only investments in it are the tires and electronics(they are pretty sad too, except for my esc. but the radio is a different story, a futaba 2ch am radio ). i do good racing it, and the reason i do good is because i can actualy drive it. yeah, i dont have the gajilion dollar graphite mega titanium dual whatever TC that the fast guys have but who cares.

1/12th seems fun, and i would like to try it out. those little cars are quick, and not too expensive either. 4cell packs are alot cheaper too.

my opinion is this: we run tc because we like it, same reason you run 1/12, and others run oval and offroad. i could complain that 1/12 is awfull. it wont steer, it wont grip, why cant they make something newer, all that crap, but i wont, cuz i haven't tried it yet, and if i do suck at it, then i will keep practicing
Old 12-28-2005, 09:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Hodapp
Why Touring Car?......You ask!........Well for me it is all about the competition!............Touring car is the most competetive class and I want to race the class that has the most competition!
This is why I always eventually come back to TC. Because this is all anyone runs! Its a competative class. While 12th scale gets the racer in me because its more about having "those 3 adjustments just right" and more track time, TC gets the racer in me because of the competition

I wish I could compete at the local level with a TC3

Originally Posted by Soviet
Compared to a 12th a TC feels like an overpowered schoolbus.
Too true
Old 12-28-2005, 10:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlackKat
This is why I always eventually come back to TC. Because this is all anyone runs! Its a competative class. While 12th scale gets the racer in me because its more about having "those 3 adjustments just right" and more track time, TC gets the racer in me because of the competition

I wish I could compete at the local level with a TC3

Too true
What 3 adjustments?
Old 12-29-2005, 02:48 AM

I kinda lost count on al the adjustments I can make
Ride height, tire compounds, body style, camber, caster, reactive caster, T-bar thickness, ackerman, servo position, bump steer, center shock oil, center shock spring, side damper lube/damper disc lube, tweak, amount and type of traction compound, number of shimms and location under T-bar, rollouttoe-angle, front and rear width.......
Old 12-29-2005, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Pro ten Holland
I kinda lost count on al the adjustments I can make
Ride height, tire compounds, body style, camber, caster, reactive caster, T-bar thickness, ackerman, servo position, bump steer, center shock oil, center shock spring, side damper lube/damper disc lube, tweak, amount and type of traction compound, number of shimms and location under T-bar, rollouttoe-angle, front and rear width.......

Exactly: If you believe that all there is in Pan-Car tuning is tire selection, then you're obviously a TC guy, an Off-Road guy, or you suck at pan-cars. There's not nearly as much crap as a TC, but about 75% of the TC community looks up the fastest Team Driver's set-up for the car they run, or copies the set-up from someone at the track who runs their car.

Pan Car racing died because of BATTERIES. 12th scale and 10th scale pan were very battery hungry disciplines, and in the dark days before GP and IB, it was hard for the average guy to get good stuff. Now anybody can get good stuff.

10th scale pan is a little different. When it actually totally died off, the cars were so fast it was dangerous, at the last Worlds at which they were run (94 maybe) they absolutely DEMOLISHED the TC lap times. Someone who was there told me they were faster entering the straight than the TC's were at the end of it. Most mortals couldn't even get a car like that around a race track like most of the indoor tracks in this country.

TC's are great. I enjoy them, and they're a great on-road class for everybody. 12th scale isn't really everyone's cup of tea, and in a way that's good too. Imagine how long a race like the IIC would take if there were as many 12th scalers as TC's!
Old 12-29-2005, 12:47 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
10th scale pan is a little different. When it actually totally died off, the cars were so fast it was dangerous, at the last Worlds at which they were run (94 maybe) they absolutely DEMOLISHED the TC lap times. Someone who was there told me they were faster entering the straight than the TC's were at the end of it. Most mortals couldn't even get a car like that around a race track like most of the indoor tracks in this country.

Colonel Sandurz: Prepare ship for light speed.
Dark Helmet: No, no, no, light speed is too slow.
Colonel Sandurz: Light speed, too slow?
Dark Helmet: Yes, we're gonna have to go right to ludicrous speed.

I find that if I don't blow a bunch of money on console games, cell phones, cd/dvd/laserdisc players/big *ss stereo with too many watts speakers/special rims for the car, body kits, car stereo and speakers, navigation system, ground effects, outrageously priced clothing and shoes, mp3 player, portable dvd player, oversized hdtv that doesn't get hd quality broadcasts for another 2 years and etc etc, that I have plenty of money to prep, option/hop up and race my 7 active toy cars. The biggest problem is finding the time (read: get off my butt) to have all these ready to race in the same month.

Priorities.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.