Search
Like Tree1Likes

Atomic VM2 M-Class Chassis

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 10:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan
Got my VM2 Lipo in. For those that are interested in upgrading to the thinner and slimmer chassis rather than buying a new car, I have good news. The bulkhead and motor mount holes all line up with the original VM2. The only main difference is the servo mount holes have moved more inwards. See attached picture of new chassis placed on top of old. The thinner upper deck also is a bolt on affair with the original VM2.

Oh yeah....the lipo version comes with green dish wheels.....interesting..
So Dan, everything from the old kit is the same to the lipo version other than chassis?

bigtee, they make a sway bar kit for the VMII. May cost some money but no mods are needed. Pic and choose your battles is what my wife always says! ah ha
Old 09-22-2012, 11:50 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya
So Dan, everything from the old kit is the same to the lipo version other than chassis?

bigtee, they make a sway bar kit for the VMII. May cost some money but no mods are needed. Pic and choose your battles is what my wife always says! ah ha
No, there is more than just the chassis. The upper deck, front shocktower, and bulkheads/motor mount are different. Oh yeah, comes with rear gear diff instead of ball diff. But the changes are all really minor aside from chassis. The upper deck and the lower deck are interchangeable between the old and new. I hope the thinner lipo chassis will help generate more grip on an asphalt track. The original had a thick and very stiff chassis that made the VM2 harder to tame.

The dealbreaker is that it comes with green dish wheels instead of white.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dan
No, there is more than just the chassis. The upper deck, front shocktower, and bulkheads/motor mount are different. Oh yeah, comes with rear gear diff instead of ball diff. But the changes are all really minor aside from chassis. The upper deck and the lower deck are interchangeable between the old and new. I hope the thinner lipo chassis will help generate more grip on an asphalt track. The original had a thick and very stiff chassis that made the VM2 harder to tame.

The dealbreaker is that it comes with green dish wheels instead of white.
I was reading about the VMII after I posted that and saw that there were a few other parts that changed! Pretty odd that it came with green wheels. They must be trying to get rid of some old stock! Are you going to be racing the year end series at Norcal?
Old 09-24-2012, 07:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Putting together my VM2-Lipo version and noticed that the screws are weak/soft, missing E-clips, plastic shock parts are not molded right, etc...

Overall the kit is pretty good. Can't wait to try it out.

I'll post pictures later this week when I finish.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JoeyE
Putting together my VM2-Lipo version and noticed that the screws are weak/soft, missing E-clips, plastic shock parts are not molded right, etc...

Overall the kit is pretty good. Can't wait to try it out.

I'll post pictures later this week when I finish.
You might want to use different balls and ballcups also.....
Old 09-24-2012, 08:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Did some testing yesterday between the offroad heats. Playing with shock position , droop and I am near the ideal setup for my style of driving. Only thing I was using a TC body. I will try to run it with an ABC body today or tomorrow. Im debating if I should get some sways. The travel is so minimal that maybe it would or would not make a difference. I was running the Citrix 17.5 and was fast enough with a 44 pinion 85 spur combo. Temp was around 120 degrees . I can still gear higher. Way smoother than the other mini I have owned and lately I have owned a few.
I wish we had some posted setups by other Atomic owners. The setup on the manual is a good start with the proper tires.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sipaboy
Did some testing yesterday between the offroad heats. Playing with shock position , droop and I am near the ideal setup for my style of driving. Only thing I was using a TC body. I will try to run it with an ABC body today or tomorrow. Im debating if I should get some sways. The travel is so minimal that maybe it would or would not make a difference. I was running the Citrix 17.5 and was fast enough with a 44 pinion 85 spur combo. Temp was around 120 degrees . I can still gear higher. Way smoother than the other mini I have owned and lately I have owned a few.
I wish we had some posted setups by other Atomic owners. The setup on the manual is a good start with the proper tires.
Henry it's Jason.... Was the on road track prepped yesterday? I'll be there Wednesday to practice.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

Nope it wasn't. It was dusty especially outside the lines. If you're going wednesday, you might want to ask the Norcal crew if they blew the track. If they didn't they might do it if you ask. No onroad race this weekend either. I am going sunday to practice both on/off road
Old 09-24-2012, 08:44 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by team green
You might want to use different balls and ballcups also.....
The turnbuckles attached to the C hubs and rear carriers have a hole on top. I placed in a short screw on it so it doesn't pop out.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:02 AM
Tech Master

Ball cups and ball ends huh? I did noticed that they didn't have a nice tight fit. It popped on really easy. I'll change them out to something else. Thanks for the info.

Henry, stay off the walls~!
Old 09-24-2012, 10:14 AM
Tech Master

Trying my best. Wheel finger ain't 100% anymore from my job. Trigger finger too. My body is taking it's toll from my profession. Yesterdays run was more wall free. A TC6 foam bumper fits but needs some trimming in the back when the wheel turns either way. The tires hit the bumper on the turn. Maybe 1/4 inch trim on each side. Then you trim the front depending on your body. I think kyosho got those really slim foam bumper. The Xray has the best.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Tech Master

Henry...I think you need to just lay back and be like Mr. Mayigi now. I think you have beaten all the Cobra Kai's by now.

What body to good for this chassis? Tall K-car or something lower? Old school mini cooper looks fun though.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:40 AM
Tech Master

Joey, I know I am but can't reverse the damage. My son opened up his own inside a mall in Landess ave.and the youngest[13] is 5'8" now. They're taking over kinda. Body will be any coupe. The Sunny is the best I think.. Seems to be a lot of the racers know that too and you'll see a lot of them using it. I like the TE27 and the Proline rally 210mm. Datsun 240z?
Old 09-24-2012, 04:57 PM
Tech Master

For those who built their lipo version. Which shock piston did you end up usng? And what weight oil? Instruction didn't have any indication on what to use.
I am using 50wt. all around and the 2 hole pistons.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sipaboy
For those who built their lipo version. Which shock piston did you end up usng? And what weight oil? Instruction didn't have any indication on what to use.
I am using 50wt. all around and the 2 hole pistons.
I use 50 front and 40 rear but thats in my Genetic! I know sipaboy did a marathon build right before Top Gun. Now its time to really go through it and take care of the small imperfections!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.