Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8th Buggy Shoot out

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 07:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

lol funny thing is i have a feeling that if the losi won this shootout people that are saying its a pointless thread/article would have a totally different outlook on it.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:11 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nitro$junkie
i Think the name your after is Casey Stoner
Auzzie Auzzie Auzzie Oye Oye Oye
Interestingly enough, the last time I can remember the Suzuki winning in Moto GP was in rain. They should get into boat racing.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:16 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mugenlife
lol funny thing is i have a feeling that if the losi won this shootout people that are saying its a pointless thread/article would have a totally different outlook on it.
I would still say it was pointless if it won, and I own an 8ight but have never owned an MBX5.

Thing is, the article really is just three guys opinions based on their most likely terrible driving (again, judging from those inconsistent laps) and lack of setup skills...that really is what this is when all the bs is watered out. You'd have to be an idiot to base which 1/8 you choose from this article, honestly.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Nay0k
I would still say it was pointless if it won, and I own an 8ight but have never owned an MBX5.

Thing is, the article really is just three guys opinions based on their most likely terrible driving (again, judging from those inconsistent laps) and lack of setup skills...that really is what this is when all the bs is watered out. You'd have to be an idiot to base which 1/8 you choose from this article, honestly.
each car had a rep from each company come along with the car. when i look at a main lap times and everything i see inconsistant laps there too. i have driven 2 out of the 3 cars. is it a dead on article? doubt it but its a better thing to go off of than an internet opinion. i found what they said between both the losi and the mbx5r to be pretty accurate but at the same time i ALSO KNOW that it is driver dependant (not everyone will like the same car). the vast majority of racers arent adam drakes, cody kings or scott hughes level.

HOW WE TESTED
We did everything we could to make this three-car shootout as fair and even as possible for each car. First, we outfitted each buggy with the exact same running gear (see Test Gear for all the details). We then took the cars out, broke them in and had a company rep come out and spend a full day helping us tune each buggy in to the track as perfectly as possible. The reps who participated were Kris Moore, President and racer for Mugen Seiki USA; Paul and Cody King, A-Team sponsored drivers for Kyosho America; and Travis Amezcua, TQ of the 2006 ROAR 1/8 Buggy Nationals and multi-national champion for Team Losi.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:50 PM
Tech Lord

I can't speak for the other two drivers but I have seen Stephen Bess' name near the top of the results sheets at a few big races. He is a recognized engine tuning athority and would probably smoke 99% of the drivers that frequent this forum in a race. If the laps were a few seconds apart than that's probably as good as it gets at that track.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

From my experience with the mugen and the losi they hit the nail on the head, the losi takes a good touch and lots of setup to be fast, but the Mugen can be driven at any track any time and win with almost the same setup, the mugen can make a slow guy faster and a fast guy will still be fast.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

In my opinion, Kyosho doesn't deserve sitting in the second place for a simple reason. Just look at the broken part list ! It may be faster for those drivers, but what is the point of being fast if you can't finnish the race ?
Old 05-22-2007, 05:22 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mugenlife
i found what they said between both the losi and the mbx5r to be pretty accurate but at the same time i ALSO KNOW that it is driver dependant.
Which is exactly why the article is pointless.

BTW, I read the whole thing, and I realized company reps came to help with setups, but a) they probably weren't completely tuned, unless they changed each cars setup to fit each drivers style and b) the pros aren't always right no matter what...

Originally Posted by Davidka
I can't speak for the other two drivers but I have seen Stephen Bess' name near the top of the results sheets at a few big races. He is a recognized engine tuning athority and would probably smoke 99% of the drivers that frequent this forum in a race. If the laps were a few seconds apart than that's probably as good as it gets at that track.
What about the other two guys...?
Old 05-22-2007, 06:47 PM
Tech Master

Which is exactly why the article is pointless.

BTW, I read the whole thing, and I realized company reps came to help with setups, but a) they probably weren't completely tuned, unless they changed each cars setup to fit each drivers style and b) the pros aren't always right no matter what...

test took a week and ran GALLONS of fuel at some point with tuning they would get close.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:53 PM
Tech Lord

Read the first sentence. "I can't speak for the other two drivers...".

Given that Bess is a known good driver (very good driver) you can estimate the other two driver's skill by how far off of Bess' times they are.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Taurius
In my opinion, Kyosho doesn't deserve sitting in the second place for a simple reason. Just look at the broken part list ! It may be faster for those drivers, but what is the point of being fast if you can't finnish the race ?
We have been running the same box stock car since Nitro Challenge (February). Silverstate, JBRL, Saturday Series, Norcal, club racing, testing, testing, testing, Maxx Challenge, and next week we will run JBRL round 2 with the same car. We have run several engines in this car, and the chassis is nearly worn through. I would say there is 6 gallons +/- on this car. I took the rear gearbox off last week, and it was full of sand! I sprayed it out, and put a new pinion gear on. We haven't broken anything but a ball end.

The R/C Car test was an anomoly, believe me. Even the testers would tell you that. Besides, clutch bearing?!! lmao, you gotta be kidding me. Half the cars in any Pro A main have Kyosho clutch bearings in them. They are the undisputed king of clutch bearings, with many top pros trusting their 1 hour long mains to ONLY Kyosho bearings...
Old 05-24-2007, 12:54 PM
Tech Master

I think this shootout shows more to the fact that the 8ight is an advanced level car that requires a different driving style than the other buggies. No matter how good of a driver the Bess guy is he obviously did not have time to adapt his driving style to the 8ight's characteristics especially when swapping from buggy to buggy alot like I am sure they did. If this guy had more time solely on the 8ight he would learn how to drive at the limit and be more consistant. The 8ight is not an inconsistant car just that they are inconsistant using it.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Tech Master

That's what "the Bess guy" normally runs, a Losi! Besides, Nick had the slowest average lap times with the Losi car, not Stephen.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

holy-hell quit your bitchin'.

Why do you care?

Are you a Losi sales rep that makes a commission?

WTF?

Are there people you know that look down on you now that the Losi didnt get "best Buggy" in this shootout?

the 8ight is garbage. best left for n00bs.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Is this silly thread still open?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.