Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree61Likes

HPI RS4 Sport 3

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 07:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Oh I see. Thanks guy. I did read about the dog bone issue. Don't know if it been addressed on the newer model.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:54 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kevin32
Oh I see. Thanks guy. I did read about the dog bone issue. Don't know if it been addressed on the newer model.
Seems they may have. Haven't read of the issue still occurring. Yeah, that really gave it a bad start.
Have fun with it. It's good to read that somebody is interested in on road. It's becoming a smaller and smaller part of the hobby.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks Billy. Will report back when I get the chance to give it a run. Hopefully by the weekend.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maslin
Both on the way. This is the RC I said I wouldn't be spending money on

The servo is tight, brand new Savox 1251, with a metal arm. Lots of play from the stock steering linkage, ball bearing YR setup is on the way. It's not wandering around while driving, just constantly changing the steering center. Adjust it to go straight, 2 minutes later it pulls right. Adjust again, 2 minutes later it pulls left. Hit a bump, pulls right again

Removing the servo saver helped quite a bit, but it's still there.
The ball-bearing steering bellcranks should help, but it sounds like there's some play somewhere else, maybe in the caster block kingpins, that's causing the position of the front hubs to shift and thus change steering angle. Either that, or the entire bulkhead is twisting side-to-side and sticking in place; it could be either the front or rear bulkheads, or both at once.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:52 AM
Tech Adept

Could anyone be bothered to take some measurements?

Thursday night is parking lot drag night at the local hobby shop. The rs4 flux with wide slicks was hooking up so much better than my m3, with HPI 26mm wheels and some new Vaterra 26mm wheels I had.

Seeing everyone's complaints about the body scares me away from a full on conversion, but I would like to give the wheels and tires a shot. I'm wondering if the wider wheels with higher (lower?) offset are actually any wider.

Generally, offset is the distance from the center of the wheel to the mounting surface. The hex centered on the wheel is 0 offset. Sticking the wheel out away from the chassis is negative offset, pulling the wheel in is positive.

RC wheels don't seem to be listed this way, a 6mm offset wheel sticks out 6mm, not in. The flux wheels are listed as 34mm 14mm offset.

Could someone measure the track width at the bottom of the tires front and rear, at the top front and rear, and the width of the body at the wheel arches?

The m3 with 6mm offset 26mm wheels measures 198mm front, 196mm rear at the bottom of the tire. 2mm less at the top, accounting for negative camber. The body measures 202mm at the front fenders, 206mm at the rear.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maslin
Could anyone be bothered to take some measurements?

Thursday night is parking lot drag night at the local hobby shop. The rs4 flux with wide slicks was hooking up so much better than my m3, with HPI 26mm wheels and some new Vaterra 26mm wheels I had.

Seeing everyone's complaints about the body scares me away from a full on conversion, but I would like to give the wheels and tires a shot. I'm wondering if the wider wheels with higher (lower?) offset are actually any wider.

Don't let some of the folks who jump on the bash train (never understood why they stay on the thread when they don't have anything positive to contribute ) Nothing is right or wrong, there are just popular opinions and experiences.

This GT3 RSR body is awesome with major tech development put into the design. The rear built diffuser with the chassis plus adjustable rear wing are just a few of the highlights. Real life race 1:1 scale design doesn't always mean it will work well in RC...getting the car setup is easy just takes some experimenting.

As far as the wheel sizes...the rears are wider for sure but your question has me curious about the rear offset.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:36 PM
Tech Regular

RC wheel offset is the opposite of real car offset. Higher offset means it will stick out farther, and will also give you a deeper dish or lip. The HPI RS4 Sport 3 wheels that come on the Porsche Flux are indeed wider than standard 26mm 1:10 RC wheels. The rear are 34mm while the fronts are 31mm compared to 26mm which is a standard RC on road.
The extra offset (14mm rear, 9mm front) is because the Porsche body is so wide it needs that to look right. The extra width is what really helps with traction, especially from the Flux combo. I don't think they're made out of a different compound, just wider and slicks to provide maximum surface area.
The only issue with that body is the same with virtually ALL pre-finished HPI bodies...you just need to do a little extra trimming to avoid tire rubbing and bottoming out in some cases.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:13 PM
Tech Adept

The rear should be 24mm wider, 11mm wider in the front.

An inch seems like a lot? Maybe the body does a good job of disguising the difference.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wareagle84
compared to 26mm which is a standard RC on road.
IIRC, most racing wheels nowadays are 24mm.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Next step is a cf chassis.
Attached Thumbnails HPI RS4 Sport 3-photo_20160507_133505.jpg  
Old 05-07-2016, 08:00 AM
Tech Adept

wareagle84 - excellent clarification +1

Rumner - looks good like the mods..CF chassis would top it off.

maslin- The body does a really good job at hiding the rear width of the wheel/tire.

What's not to like about this body...
Attached Thumbnails HPI RS4 Sport 3-737209_608453562551173_48462397_o.jpg  
We Are Ninja likes this.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Hey guys,

I just put an order for some SMC lipo batteries. Waiting for those to get here. Gonna upgrade to the Sidewinder 3 ESC w/ 4600k motor, but not until i wear out the old stock motor first lol...

BTW does anyone know if a Vattera body fit on RS4 sport3 perfectly?
Old 05-09-2016, 12:25 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by kevin32
Hey guys,

I just put an order for some SMC lipo batteries. Waiting for those to get here. Gonna upgrade to the Sidewinder 3 ESC w/ 4600k motor, but not until i wear out the old stock motor first lol...

BTW does anyone know if a Vattera body fit on RS4 sport3 perfectly?
That's a nice upgrade motor/esc kevin32 running that combo in my Super EP Rs4 car. The stock 4000kv has really good power on 3s for this size car. Not sure if the Vattera body will fit perfect...the stock rear wheels are something to consider if your going to run alternate shells due to the increased width of the rear wheels.

39 days until the The 84th running of The 24 Hours of Le Mans. Light bucket mods underway.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rumner
Next step is a cf chassis.
Interesting.

What about FF and RR parts? Have you been able to use Pro4 parts?

If not, why?
Old 05-10-2016, 05:08 PM
Tech Initiate

cudacharger - how the castle creation setup working for you? You like the 4600kv or 5700kv?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.