Search
Like Tree552Likes

New IRIS by AME

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2022, 02:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DrFelter
Centering the motor in the car has more to do with the spinning mass the motor creates when operating at higher RPM's. This creates an offset torque that messes with the overall balance of the car even though car is statically balanced. Think bubble leveling a car tire to balance vs Dynamically balancing by spinning it.
That description is a bit off. There are 2 things to consider weight distribution at the tyre contact patches and the overall moment of inertia.

1) Weight distribution plays a large roll in the lateral forces at the tyre contact patch from corner entry to exit. The higher the lateral forces at one of the car compared to the other causes that end of the car to have a higher slip angle than the other. (there is more at play but a simplification is fine for the sake of the point).

2) Moment of inertia affects how fast an object can accelerate and decelerate around an axis. If you can reduce the moment of inertia, you get reduced initial lateral forces at the tyre contact patch, and a more responsive handling (as the chassis can move faster)
Old 11-22-2022, 02:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dontfeelcold
That description is a bit off. There are 2 things to consider weight distribution at the tyre contact patches and the overall moment of inertia.

1) Weight distribution plays a large roll in the lateral forces at the tyre contact patch from corner entry to exit. The higher the lateral forces at one of the car compared to the other causes that end of the car to have a higher slip angle than the other. (there is more at play but a simplification is fine for the sake of the point).

2) Moment of inertia affects how fast an object can accelerate and decelerate around an axis. If you can reduce the moment of inertia, you get reduced initial lateral forces at the tyre contact patch, and a more responsive handling (as the chassis can move faster)
You completely ignored what the post you replied to was describing. During hard acceleration or deceleration, the inertia of the rotor creates a torque effect on the chassis. Moving the motor moves where this torque is applied. Your comment only considers the static mass of the chassis.
perez62682 and DrFelter like this.
Old 11-23-2022, 12:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Will the 2022 version keep these gear-activated damper cantilevers from the 2016 kickstarter pitch, you think? I love the low-CG and oddball aspect of that design, I'm just concerned they will either be sloppy or binding... curious to see what comes out of prod!
Old 11-23-2022, 01:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking

Originally Posted by kentech
Release day tomorrow.

Old 11-23-2022, 05:11 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gwhiz
From their FB page:

Wednesday 23rd, 7p.m. (GMT+1)
Old 11-23-2022, 09:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Can you post a link to their fb or homepage? I just can’t find it.
Old 11-23-2022, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by photeckk
Can you post a link to their fb or homepage? I just can’t find it.
https://www.facebook.com/RaceIRIS
Old 11-23-2022, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The Iris ONE touring car is the first competition car kit fully developed and designed by RUDDOG. Project lead designer Andreas Myrberg implemented countless novel and revolutionary features into the all-new Iris ONE.

https://www.ruddog.eu/Kits_2
Shipping starts on December 15th. Preorder your kit now from your local hobby shop.

Featuring a unique pushrod design with torsion springs and a single-lever rotational shocks, the centre-of-gravity is super low, thus improving overall performance. Combined with sturdy double wishbones, the high-performance suspension package ensures fast and consistent lap times run after run. Moreover, the newly developed pitch and heave shock improves handling under braking and high speed cornering.

Together with an ultra-narrow bulkhead design, the efficient three-belt drive train results in perfect weight balance. With three identical belts, less belt tension is required than with a conventional two-belt set-up.

Many unique details, such as an optional direct-mount aluminium fan, have been integrated into the design of Iris ONE to give you an edge over the competition.

· Unique torsion spring design
· Single lever rotational shocks
· Pushrod suspension
· Double wishbone design; identical arms on all four corners
· Revolutionary pitch and heave shock system
· Efficient low friction three-belt drive train
· Ultra narrow bulkhead design
· Steering assembly with easily adjustable Ackermann geometry
· Adjustable track width with inserts
· Sturdy and fully adjustable suspension
· Carbon chassis and Linear flex aluminium chassis version available
· Optional direct-mount aluminium high-speed fan
Old 11-23-2022, 10:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Looks really innovative! My next purchase lol
Old 11-23-2022, 10:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

and about rear shock?
Old 11-23-2022, 11:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jonnydb
and about rear shock?
I suppose they found it unnecessary to have a pitch/heave spring/damper on both ends.

I'm curious if the rotary dampers function the same as Awesomatix. I like the torsion spring idea. It's super compact.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

Well good luck to them. Looks like an absolute nightmare to build, maintain and set up.
alana07, dvaid852456 and gigaplex like this.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Lol, maybe. Is car designed for carpet and not asphalt? Can’t wait to see the manual. My main concern is how much maintenance does the car need. Is the design robust or fragile. Who knows? I appreciate the innovation and the ingenuity of the design.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by photeckk
Lol, maybe. Is car designed for carpet and not asphalt? Can’t wait to see the manual. My main concern is how much maintenance does the car need. Is the design robust or fragile. Who knows? I appreciate the innovation and the ingenuity of the design.
Anxious to see the manual as well...There are some very cool concepts and ideas, but there are a lot of details shown in the pictures that aren't necessarily clear, and some items that look potentially frustrating (or possibly even troubling?)
carkillaii likes this.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jonnydb
and about rear shock?
https://imgur.com/a/G7Vebm5

the front counterpart is behind the bumper. the coilover unit is the heave damper.
was really hoping someone would be gutsy enough to try a mode decoupling solution

for the life of me I can't think of a good reason why they chose that placement for rear toe link.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.