Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
just wondering about this motor combo longevity >

just wondering about this motor combo longevity

just wondering about this motor combo longevity

Old 04-24-2010, 08:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default just wondering about this motor combo longevity

i have a Novarossi 21BF that had about a gallon through it. The piston skirt broke. i had a Sportwerks .21 v2 laying around and i took the piston and sleeve out to put it in the Nova motor. I used the rod from the Nova motor and connected it to the sportwerks piston. In a nutshell I am using the sportwerks piston and sleeve in the 21bf mill. I had to slightly dremel the piston for crank clearance. I didnt think it would work at all but I got to start it up today and to be honest it ran like a raped ape. It had so much more bottom and top end it blew me away. So really just wondering how long this motor will last since I dropped a 7 port sleeve into the Nova 3 port motor. Going to go out tomorrow if it's not raining and run a couple of tanks through it and see what happens...

What do you all think? Will it blow up? Is it ok to put a different sleeve into a different brand motor? The sleeve fit perfect.

I am using the stock 21bf crank and rod, and the sportwerks piston and sleeve.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:42 PM
Tech Regular

hahaha sounds good if its running. but only if you are willing to sacrifice the block for the sake of knowledge and experementation. but if its gonna be hard for you to part with it then i would not running it.

aaaahhhh just do it and tell how it went.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by RUNNINONMT
hahaha sounds good if its running. but only if you are willing to sacrifice the block for the sake of knowledge and experementation. but if its gonna be hard for you to part with it then i would not running it.

aaaahhhh just do it and tell how it went.

wont be hard to part with. I will see what happens. I am still amazed at the power it made, I hope it lasts, i will use it all race season if it stays together. I am getting the NitroTec or Werks b5 motor so i will have a back up when this things goes bye bye..... Race season doesnt start here for another month so I should be good to go.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Did the rod fit on the crank and not seem sloppy? I thought the Sportwerks motors used a different size crankpin.

Rex
Old 04-25-2010, 12:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Stay with novarossi

Not that other motors aren't good, but I've had very few problems with bf's and p5's in years of racing, RB's too. Actually the only problems I've had with engines is if I ran other brands besides Novarossi or RB. I recommend a p5xlstandard plug engine with mc coy mc-8 plugs and a 9853ss pipe and short round header, perfect all around engine for buggy or truggy. It's like 255 dollars but will last 6-10 gallons depending on how it's treated. 25% fuel with at least 11percent oil in it. Keep the top end flush or slightly above with the brass thing after break in, and lower the idle and lean the bottom a bit....30% or 25% fuel with 8 or 9% oil can cause problems I don't care how space age and special their oil is, it needs oil for compression and the bearings and long life of the piston. I really can't talk bad about Werks engines they are fast, but I've seen one too many leak from the carb. Now the ALpha engines, specifically the red headed one is really fast for 200 bucks, but I say pony up 50 more bucks and get a P5. JMO...I've never heard anything bad about p5's for about 8 years now or more. Like I said it's not that other engines are bad. I just feel better knowing a Nova is in my buggy, and if I can help others find the same consistency and power then I'll throw my knowledge out there for others to see, and I'm not sponsored by Novarossi, I'm a regular racer who wins races, and buys fewer engines that some other people.... I have been getting beat by 17 and 18 year olds lately. I'm turning 37 this month, oh well I'm one of the few older racers that can keep up with the younger guys in the Houston Texas area, not too shabby....
Old 04-25-2010, 06:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i have a old picco with a broken skirt. Still runs, but hard to tune
Old 04-25-2010, 06:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by 22Racer
Did the rod fit on the crank and not seem sloppy? I thought the Sportwerks motors used a different size crankpin.

Rex
I have the Nova crank with Nova Rod connected to the Sportwerks Piston and Sleeve.