Search
Like Tree34Likes

Schumacher Mi5

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default Mi5

Couple pics of my ride with some new option parts. Thanks Phil from Discount Rc!
Attached Thumbnails Schumacher Mi5-dsc02869.jpg   Schumacher Mi5-dsc02871.jpg  
Old 11-29-2013, 09:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pinion King
Attached is setup sheet.

Haven't had a chance to measure my droops, they are about even front and rear, front might have just a little bit more.
Dale, looking at the setup, I have a few questions for you on it...

Firstly, is it correct, no rear roll-bar?
7000 oil in the front diff?
I assume that those are right..

Anyway, from that, I'd be pretty sure that the main issue your having is that the front and rear are not balanced in roll. The rear is set very soft (softer spring, oil, no roll bar), whilst the front is very stiff. Throw in the very soft front oil in the front diff, and I'm pretty sure this is whats causing the issues.
Basically, the rear will roll a lot and quickly when you start steering, which will then start t pull the front over... which given its relatively a lot stiffer and more resistant to roll, will cause the trip up over the tyre.
Such a soft front diff will also make the car very steery intially, so going heavier, or even back to the spool will help greatly in this regard.

My suggestions would be to do the following, as a start.
1) Put the rear roll bar back on, even just the 1.2mm bar, as this will help to keep the rear roll under control, and stop it trying to pull the front over.
2) Diffs - On the front, as a minimum use 500K, in the rear go to 2K.
3) Droop. Make sure the droop is set to 4.5f/4.0r or 5.0f/4.5r.
Everything else is pretty much fine tuning, although I can certainly highly recomend the Yokomo Pink and Blue springs for carpet, over the HPI's.

I would strongly suggest also looking at MattW's EWS setup (found here), thats what I would be starting with for Mod on carpet. He knows what he's talking about

HiH
Ed
Old 11-30-2013, 12:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

I've been using a soft diff oil in the front because when I go thicker or put a spool in, the front wheels start to spin and the car bounces at the front on power.

Do the Yokomo's come in a set? Where can I get them?
Old 11-30-2013, 01:12 AM
Tech Champion

I've been using a soft diff oil in the front because when I go thicker or put a spool in, the front wheels start to spin and the car bounces at the front on power.

Hmm, thats pretty strange. Have to admit, never had the problem with spinning wheels on the front... and I do race on pretty low grip outdoor tracks.
I would strongly suggest trying something a bit harder, even 250k if not 500. Bare in mind most racers have tended towards 1mil - 2.5mil or putty for front diffs these days, just have a look at a lot of US based setups. It is possible that the bouncing/spinning is connected with you droop settings though, so definitely check these out first, as they are a very powerful tuning aid.

As for the Yokomo springs, they aren't avaliable in a set, but Pink is YS-1565L, and Blue is YS-14575L. Hobby Habbit are listed as the Yokomo dealer in Aus, put the website is a bit tricky to search, so best to give them a call or email.

HiH
Ed
Old 12-01-2013, 03:01 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by haywood
Couple pics of my ride with some new option parts. Thanks Phil from Discount Rc!

That's HOTTT!!! ..

..p
Old 12-02-2013, 01:05 AM
Tech Champion

Actually been thinking about this a little more... and in talking with some other drivers, it might well be worth checking your spool and diff outdrive sliders, as they could be binding on the dogbone ball. If they are (and this is a good tip to do anyway, and something I do on all my sliders), run a file down the inside of the lips in the slider, and put a chamfer on them.
Martin recommends to do this on his build tips, and it certainly helps to free up the outdrives, which could be causing some binding.

Some pics to help explain

HiH
Ed
Attached Thumbnails Schumacher Mi5-img_2528.jpg   Schumacher Mi5-img_2530.jpg   Schumacher Mi5-img_2532.jpg  
Old 12-02-2013, 02:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by haywood
what gear ratio are u using ?is this for 13.5blinky ?
Old 12-02-2013, 07:37 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TryHard
Actually been thinking about this a little more... and in talking with some other drivers, it might well be worth checking your spool and diff outdrive sliders, as they could be binding on the dogbone ball. If they are (and this is a good tip to do anyway, and something I do on all my sliders), run a file down the inside of the lips in the slider, and put a chamfer on them.
Martin recommends to do this on his build tips, and it certainly helps to free up the outdrives, which could be causing some binding.

Some pics to help explain

HiH
Ed
Very interested in this tip, but dosen't it add some sloop to the driveshafts/outdrive ?
Old 12-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default Gear

Originally Posted by oldnoob
what gear ratio are u using ?is this for 13.5blinky ?
17.5 Blinky

96 Spur
43 pinion

64p

Last edited by haywood; 12-02-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:51 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Shock Tower
Very interested in this tip, but dosen't it add some sloop to the driveshafts/outdrive ?
No not really, as the edge that you are chamfering is pressed up against the ball of the dogbone, not the pins. Removing that material stops the ball binding up, by being pinched by the sliders. Surprising how much freer the sliders can be after performing this trick.. and is defiantly something worth looking at if the suspension feels like it's binding up.

HiH
Ed
Old 12-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Other than Schumacher or RW, are there any other spur gears that will for the Mi5?
Old 12-03-2013, 10:35 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by meddman
Other than Schumacher or RW, are there any other spur gears that will for the Mi5?

Those are the only ones that we are aware of currently..

..p
Old 12-05-2013, 03:50 AM
Tech Champion

So I'm ready for a proper test session this weekend... Two cars built exactly the same with all my preferred options, but one in mid motor, one in rear... I have heard mixed opinions on the mid, so only way to tell is to give it a test. Gonna be interesting for sure.
Attached Thumbnails Schumacher Mi5-image.jpg  
Old 12-05-2013, 03:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard
So I'm ready for a proper test session this weekend... Two cars built exactly the same with all my preferred options, but one in mid motor, one in rear... I have heard mixed opinions on the mid, so only way to tell is to give it a test. Gonna be interesting for sure.
I run my Mi5 with the mid-motor setup and have no issues.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:58 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by SteveM
I run my Mi5 with the mid-motor setup and have no issues.
Oh, I'm not saying there will be issues, but I want to understand what it does and how it compares on track to the rear motor car. All useful information, for future reference if needed. I'm going to try it out at the two local tracks which are quite different, so require different things from the setup. It might perform better at one or the other.. Who knows, only way is to try it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.