Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 Carbon Fiber main chassis

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 09:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

In all honesty, an impact significant enough to break a 4-5mm carbon-fiber chassis plate would utterly pulverize the entire vehicle, and in that kind of shunt, an aluminum chassis would fare far worse.

Delamination would most likely occur due to excessive heat (which again, doesn't seem like an issue) or as a result of abrasion... Which is why I suggested that the bottom be laminated with Kevlar.

In the end, the only way to know for sure would be to test it.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The delamination does not occur on the bottom. It happens to the edges of the chassis where it is weakest.

Like I said, if you hit it right with the speed and weight of an 1/8 scale it will break. Aluminum is just so much more durable in this application as it will have a little give to it.

You obviously have not seen CF chassis that have been destroyed and the circumstances that caused the failure.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Tech Master

Quite right, the edges are indeed a potentially vulnerable area, though some of that could be addressed in the lamination process and the way the fabric is laid-up (think of a "C"-shaped segment of fiber to wrap over the edges.).

In all truth, nothing is perfect, and it's only reasonable to think that there could be a few drawbacks, especially at first. Nevertheless, I feel that it could be a worthwhile experiment.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:14 PM
Tech Initiate

My best guess is that aluminum is used because of its flexability. Its much easier to get a flexible chassis hooked up traction wise on a loose surface (dirt) than a stiff one like you would get with carbon fibre. Look at Xrays T2, it has the ability to change the stiffness of the chassis depending on the amount of available traction ie. carpet vs asphalt.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Molded main chassis

Would anybody be interested in Molded Carbon chassis for the 8ight? We are thinking about molding some, and might need some volunteer testers in the So. Cal area. We are developing a new process to see if we can mold in all featurs of the main chassis.

Thank you for all the input so far. We really appreciate it.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i live near murrieta and would be willing to test a cf chassis on my 8ight. I have a complete spare car just to try new stuff and set ups on it. you can contact me at [email protected]
Old 02-03-2007, 12:55 PM
Tech Master

Hi Matrix.

Though I don't live in So Cal, or have much experience with nitro buggies, I do happen to think that you're undertaking a very interesting endeavor with this chassis project. Depending on how well the development goes, I may very well purchase one from you in the future (to go with my CF pipe)

I'm not sure just how far along in development you are, but I was wondering if you were planning to make the chassis as a bolt-on replacement for the aluminum one, or perhaps look into the possibility of molding the unit as one continuous piece with the sideguards integrated?

The latter would allow you to delete 5 screws (lower weight), as well as offer considerable impact resistance in a crash, though I do believe that it could also alter the handling characteristics of the car... Just something else that you could investigate.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'm surprised not one person has mentioned the fact that we are talking about an offroad vehicle. The simple fact is that carbon fiber would not hold up to the abuse of being run on dirt. It would simply just wear through the top layers very quickly and once the fibers are exposed it would wear even faster.

Have you ever tried to sand the sharp edges of a carbon chassis? Yes. How about an aluminum chassis?
Old 02-03-2007, 08:20 PM
Tech Adept

I too have been thinking about making a carbon chassis, but I was also concerned about how it would affect the engine temps, also some buggies seem to have some torsional flex designed into them?, ie: Kyosho. Some say the car handles better with some torsional flex? Not quite sure on how to design this into a carbon chassis
Old 02-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

A one piece CF chassis would be perfect for my 8ight... it's a brushless conversion. And it's faster than any nitro too. Sorry had to take a jab at you guys in the middle of your arguing.

A molded chassis electric 8ight would be awesome... and one for the RC8 too.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Here is one version. its for Hobao Hyper 7 chassis.
I dont ever seen running for that car.
Hyper carbon chassis
Old 02-04-2007, 09:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gubbs3
I'm surprised not one person has mentioned the fact that we are talking about an offroad vehicle. The simple fact is that carbon fiber would not hold up to the abuse of being run on dirt. It would simply just wear through the top layers very quickly and once the fibers are exposed it would wear even faster.
...You mean like all the 1/10 electric offroad carbon-fiber chassis?

Apparently you missed the part where I suggested the use of 1-2 layers of Kevlar on the outer part of the chassis to deal with abrasion. Something as simple as a lexan undertray could also be fashioned, if need be.

We need look no further than the Vantage CF chassis that was made for the Revo last year. Thus far, I've never heard of any issues related to breakage, heat or abrasion, and this is with a vehicle that is roughly DOUBLE the weight of a buggy, able to travel at almost the same speeds, and with considerably more unsprung weight to boot.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I know that the CF chassis for the revo by vantage had/has breaking problems around the motor mount area. I'm not sure that their new chassis is stronger but... 1/8 buggies and truggies have a more powerful motor and can probably cause more tourqe flex in that area as well as the shock tower area. my .02.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Aluminum chassis are as much of a heat sink to the engines as the big ole heads everybody puts on em. Ever feel the bottom of any gas car after it's good and warmed up? I don't think either a graphite chassis could take that kind of heat, and I don't think the engines would last as long either.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by captain america
...You mean like all the 1/10 electric offroad carbon-fiber chassis?

Apparently you missed the part where I suggested the use of 1-2 layers of Kevlar on the outer part of the chassis to deal with abrasion. Something as simple as a lexan undertray could also be fashioned, if need be.

We need look no further than the Vantage CF chassis that was made for the Revo last year. Thus far, I've never heard of any issues related to breakage, heat or abrasion, and this is with a vehicle that is roughly DOUBLE the weight of a buggy, able to travel at almost the same speeds, and with considerably more unsprung weight to boot.

Yes I did miss that. My bad. I'm just thinking about the abuse an 1/8 buggy puts out compared to a 1/10 electric. Not a 1:1 comparison.

I also don't see the "heat sink" effect as a problem either. If anything an insulator between the block and engine mounts can help an engine. When fuel enters the engine an is atomized it absorbs heat. If the block is too cool, this won't happen efficiently. Then you get poor throttle response and loading up at low rpm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.