Wiki Posts
Search

Thinking of going on-road

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 06:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Thinking of going on-road

I am thinking of making the cross into the darkside of on-road 1/12 pan car racing. Which car should I get? I am looking at the AE 12R5.2 as my chassis. It looks nice, but does it perform? Also what motor/esc combo should I look at getting? Batteries? Servo? Tires and compound? Gonna be racing on carpet for the most part. Looking to go on-road because racing 1/10th off-road on carpet is not satisfying my taste, and the off-road is dieing now that there is a good place to race on-road locally. Thanks guys. Looking to stay around $450 if possible.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

The R5 is a good car, there are no bad choices for 1/12 chassis, they all work

It's all about the little details, tires, sauce, and fine tuning
Check with locals in your area about tires, sauce etc

Check the link in my sig for more info, have fun, 1/12 racing is awesome
Old 04-22-2015, 07:22 AM
Tech Master

Alright thanks. What about pinion size? Looks like locally it is all 17.5 racing so how big of a pinion should I run?
Old 04-22-2015, 07:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I run the RC12R5.2. I'm very happy with it. I have no problem keeping up with any other car (aside from driving mistakes).

Gearing depends on the size of the track, but I would start with around a 100mm rollout. Somewhere in the 72/53 range for gearing depending on tire diameter.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:34 AM
Tech Regular

Personally, I would go with a different car. The X-Ray X12, RSDRR12 or CRC are better cars in my opinion.

Also, Pinions are subjective to the rollout. IE Tire size, spur, timing etc. We run 75 tooth spurs and anywhere up to 100mm of rollout on 17.5 motors. For big races, we have been cutting tires as small as 39mm on a 38mm rim. Most of the time for club racing, I have been cutting 41-42 mm tires.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bdmpastx
Personally, I would go with a different car. The X-Ray X12, RSDRR12 or CRC are better cars in my opinion.

Also, Pinions are subjective to the rollout. IE Tire size, spur, timing etc. We run 75 tooth spurs and anywhere up to 100mm of rollout on 17.5 motors. For big races, we have been cutting tires as small as 39mm on a 38mm rim. Most of the time for club racing, I have been cutting 41-42 mm tires.
Any particular reason why you wouldnt race with the 12R5.2?
Old 04-22-2015, 08:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

Originally Posted by Jaymancd
Any particular reason why you wouldn't race with the 12R5.2?
CRC and AE cars went toe to toe the past weekend at MHIC for TQ and the win, nothing wrong with either of them

As I said, they are all capable, this is coming from a SpeedMerchant driver
Old 04-22-2015, 09:35 AM
Tech Master

Alright. Dumb question but what are the "shore" ratings on tires for? Is that the stiffness of the foam?
Old 04-22-2015, 10:00 AM
Tech Master

What spare parts should I always have with me? Arms? Tires? Spare chassis? extra servos?
Old 04-22-2015, 10:16 AM
Tech Master

Yes, shore is the softness (or firmness) of the tire.

Arms and steering blocks are always good to have spares. Also the side links, and the rear side springs (they tend to fly off in hard crashes at times). Lastly, the lower carbon fiber pod plate. I see more of those broken than the main chassis.

Other than that, you'll need your assortment of rear side springs, center shock springs, front springs, and tires to tune the car to your liking.

As for what car, head to your track and see what the other guys are running. It's best to have something you can get help with setup, or that your local shop may carry parts for.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ~McSmooth~
Yes, shore is the softness (or firmness) of the tire.

Arms and steering blocks are always good to have spares. Also the side links, and the rear side springs (they tend to fly off in hard crashes at times). Lastly, the lower carbon fiber pod plate. I see more of those broken than the main chassis.

Other than that, you'll need your assortment of rear side springs, center shock springs, front springs, and tires to tune the car to your liking.

As for what car, head to your track and see what the other guys are running. It's best to have something you can get help with setup, or that your local shop may carry parts for.
Alright. Thanks for the list.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jaymancd
Any particular reason why you wouldnt race with the 12R5.2?
It's all personal preference. The Associated cars are always in the running at the big events. There doesn't seem to be one car that is really any better than any other. You can compete and win with any of them. It's all about the driver and setup.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:06 AM
Tech Master

Looking on Amain hobbies, there are a couple of chassis that are only like $130. Are those legal for roar events, or are those just a cheapo for club racing? They say they are for GT classes. Are GT classes like an outlaw class?
Old 04-22-2015, 11:44 AM
Tech Regular

I agree with RedBullFiXX; it's hard to go wrong with any of the common top end 1/12 cars. I have a personal preference for Associated, so I went for the 12R5.2, and couldn't love the car more. I run on an outdoor asphalt track, and the car was nearly perfect out of the box.

For 17.5, I would recommend the Trinity D4 1S Short Stack motor. I have had a great experience with it. It doesn't seem to have a ton of torque, but the top end is great and I'm able to gear it pretty tall without getting too hot.

For the gearing, I would recommend just asking the other guys at the track what a good starting rollout is. It's going to be pretty different between tracks. I would try to focus on getting the smallest spurs you can though so you leave yourself enough room for a large pinion in case you need to gear up. With my 76 tooth spur, I can barely fit my 60 tooth pinion on when I want to gear tall.

Regarding the ESC, you want to make sure you buy something that is designed to run with 1S batteries. Most ESCs can use 1S batteries, but not all of them have proper voltage cut-offs for them, and you may need an external voltage booster (or Rx battery pack) because your receiver and servo can't run off 3.7 volts. Some ESCs have the voltage booster built in, which is really nice since space on the chassis, and especially under the low body of a 1/12 scale, is extremely tight. I run a Reedy Blackbox 410R, but that may be a little pricey for what you're looking for. I believe Hobbywing has a good 1S ESC that is cheaper, but I don't have any experience with Hobbywing, so maybe someone else can chime in.

I would recommend some tire shores, but I haven't run on carpet before, so I can't really help there. Have fun with your on-road endeavor; the surgical precision of a 1/12 scale pan car is very addictive

Edit: Cosmo mentioned the Hobbywing ESC I was thinking of. The only reason I didn't go for this ESC is I wanted the possibility of using it for something other than a 1S application if I ever have the need.

Last edited by WesRaven; 04-22-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

You mean those Schumacher kits? I think they were made as a "spec" class or something. I don't think you'd be competitive with those. Looking at them, they don't look like they take the standard 1/12 rear wheel either.

But you would be fine with any of the others. The only thing I'll point out is that if you get the Yokomo it takes different offset wheels than what the others take. You can still get them, but you don't have as many choices.

In addition to those, you may also want to look at the Reflex RSD RR12, the Roche Rapide P12, and the Speedmerchant Rev8.

That is by no means a comprehensive list. There are others out there as well. Just giving you options.

As for ESCs - I'm running the Hobbywing XERUN-120A-1S V3.1 and I am very happy with it. No complaints.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.