Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
What i did wrong ? (3 batteries to trash can) >

What i did wrong ? (3 batteries to trash can)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What i did wrong ? (3 batteries to trash can)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 08:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

not saying its the right thing to do but i leave my lipos fully charged for 1-3 weeks all the time.
my 1/8scale batteries, i storage charged them because i wont use them all winter but as i can only get the the carpet track once or twice a month for casual play, my 2cells stay fully charged for long periods of time.
i run turnigy's and i have not had a single one give me grief with my usage.
perhaps im lucky.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It seems to me the more expensive batteries are the most fragile.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Well we here have at least ~20 pcs. puffed HardCase Turnigy lipos... Charged with iChargers, Hyperions, TP and FMA chargers... Properly used, not abused... So cheep lipos also do this . I think it is some batches of lipos cells that was not properly transported or not properly stored at warehouse...
Old 01-16-2011, 04:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JKL1031
It seems to me the more expensive batteries are the most fragile.
Well that is not true..... But in saying that I am sure there is so many cheao batteries that may be good too.

Originally Posted by rccartips
I have cheap 5200/50c lipos that I sometimes leave fully charged for over a week. Abused weekly and never balanced. None of them have bloated.

Very keen mate... I am not going to judge and say what your doing is wrong but all I can say is really keen

Probably a product defect if a lipo bloats by simply being fully charged for 24 hours?

Guys honnestly we will never know no matter how much research goes into it on what makes a bad cell or a good one... All we can go on experience and word of mouth.. But in saying that ppl can have such a great run with a certain batch of cells from one company at a given time and then buy out of their next batch and not quite be up the same standard as the others and lose them all.

I guess what I am trying to say is electricity is a funny thing so its un predictable and certainly has a mind of its own and very lazy. So if it finds a way to get somewhere it will and the list goes on.
Until a battery comes out with a voice and a brain that tells us when it needs charging and discharging and then saying I am ready to puff up and blow up we will still have a topic like this that will go on for years...

Old 01-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by audriusv
Well we here have at least ~20 pcs. puffed HardCase Turnigy lipos... Charged with iChargers, Hyperions, TP and FMA chargers... Properly used, not abused... So cheep lipos also do this . I think it is some batches of lipos cells that was not properly transported or not properly stored at warehouse...
that because u charged then with fancy chargers. you have to charge cheap lipos with cheap chargers, or you will get problems.

Check my sig.

I dont know though. I started to buy a trakpower but i came up with the conclusion I'd rather gamble with a cheap battery than a $100 one.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Leaving Lipos fully charged during storage is not recommended by the battery manufacturers. I'm just lazy or sometimes forget to discharge to right levels before storing. Just luck my bad habits have not resulted in bloated batteries
Old 01-16-2011, 11:26 PM
Tech Adept

I have puffed several batteries by leaving them fully charged for a couple of days. Much better to charge, run part way down, then store until the next run. I have been doing that and not puffed a single pack in 2 years. Part of the problem is the chargers tend to charge right up to 4.22V per cell. If we only charged to 90% like the older cheaper chargers they dont puff when stored.

I have also puffed them by leaving them plugged in over night. Dead the next day and puff when charged.