Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Never mind....

That's awesome!
Old 02-08-2007, 08:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Never mind....

That's awesome!

How do you get in touch with Big Boys Toys? Do they have a website?
Old 02-08-2007, 09:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Originally Posted by jblackburn
Most of the cars that run on the Encino Velodrome are not "normal oval cars." While there are a few 10L4s and 10L3s running standard front ends, most cars are running custom frontends with a lot of suspension travel. The special frontends started right before the 97 NORRCA nats held at Encino when Custom Works released a modified version of their Intimidator frontend - it was expensive (around $250 just for the front end). Donn Natale then put together a frontend based on the Associated Dual Sport suspension for around $70. Since then Randy at Big Boys Toys has a frontend that uses Associated Dual Sport front arms but with a aluminum base and different graphite bulkhead than Donn's. They have a lot more suspension travel than touring - the track is pretty bumpy when going at 60MPH. Almost everyone is running some sort of ground effects also. The entire bottom of my chassis is sealed up to the end of the chassis were the rear pod meets, and even that is extended more than a normal oval car.
I knew I hadnt seen a front end like that on an oval car before. Thats awesome ingenuity to cope for the bumpy conditions. But I guess a front end like that can cause a lot of drag if you were using a very low profile body for an insane speed run.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:52 AM
SKJ
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Here is a picture of the DNA frontend. I will try to get a picture of the Custom works frontend tonight.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default How many Velo's can RC's race?

Man, those Velodromes are really cool to run on. How many Velo's allow RC cars to use them?

Here are the tracks (according to Wikepedia) in the U.S.

There are 22 tracks in the United States, including:

ADT Event Center in Carson, California (indoor track constructed in 2004)
Alkek Velodrome in Houston, Texas
Alpenrose Velodrome in Portland, Oregon
Baton Rouge Velodrome in Baton Rouge
Brian Piccolo Park Velodrome in Cooper City, Florida
Dick Lane Velodrome in East Point, Georgia
Ed Rudolph Velodrome in Northbrook, Illinois
Encino Velodrome in Encino, California
Group Health Velodrome in Marymoor Park, Redmond, Washington
Hellyer Park Velodrome in San Jose, California
Kissena Park Velodrome in Queens, New York
Lehigh Valley Velodrome in Trexlertown, Pennsylvania
Major Taylor VelodromeMajor Taylor Velodrome in Indianapolis, Indiana
Mellowdrome in Asheville, North Carolina
Mike Walden Velodrome in Rochester Hills, Michigan
National Sports Center Velodrome in Blaine, Minnesota
San Diego Velodrome in San Diego, California
7-Eleven Velodrome in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Superdrome in Frisco, Texas
Washington Park Velodrome in Kenosha, Wisconsin
Old 02-08-2007, 08:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Big Boys Toys Velodrome Car

Adrian,

Randy can be contacted at [email protected]. I attached a few pictures of my velodrome car. Randy does beautiful work. I use HPI front shocks with Silva front springs.

I have raced at Major Taylor, Encino, and Dominguez Hills (now gone). Back in the early 90s there were races at the Hellyer Park Velodrome, but I never had the opportunity to race there. Racing on these tracks is awesome - I still remember the first time I walked up to the Dominguez Hills track and saw how large it was. There was a time when we ran mains with 20 cars = super exciting.
Attached Thumbnails High Speed Wind Tunnel Testing pics-img_1908.jpg   High Speed Wind Tunnel Testing pics-img_2631.jpg  
Old 02-09-2007, 07:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Adrian,

Randy can be contacted at [email protected]. I attached a few pictures of my velodrome car. Randy does beautiful work. I use HPI front shocks with Silva front springs.

I have raced at Major Taylor, Encino, and Dominguez Hills (now gone). Back in the early 90s there were races at the Hellyer Park Velodrome, but I never had the opportunity to race there. Racing on these tracks is awesome - I still remember the first time I walked up to the Dominguez Hills track and saw how large it was. There was a time when we ran mains with 20 cars = super exciting.
jblackburn, did you work on this wind tunnel?
Old 02-09-2007, 08:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Hobbylabs

Yes. I worked on the Hobbylabs windtunnel. My neighbor, Ben Chui, designed it when he was writing for RC Model Cars Magazine. After the magazine died, and I stopped racing to finish school, it sat in Ben's garage for years. We did a lot testing with the Protoform Thunderbird HS and Monte Carlo HS - wish those bodies were still available.

Joe
Old 02-09-2007, 08:59 AM
Tech Elite

Are those purpose built Rc tracks or Cycling tracks ???
Old 02-09-2007, 09:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

i wonder if you can put that kit on a L3Touring, or a CRC type l3Touring chassis and slap it on the onroad course ;-) HMMMMmm....

Might give a run to the tamiya f car... just thinking.

NICE WIND TUNNEL!
Old 02-09-2007, 09:35 AM
SKJ
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

razzor
They are bicycle velodromes.

RCMits
I don't think the DNA front end would make a big difference on a smooth road course. The Encino Velodrome is very bumpy and combined with the high speeds we needed a frontend with lots of travel and dampening.

Joe
I still have 5 unpainted T-Birds left.

SKJ
Old 02-09-2007, 09:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yes. I worked on the Hobbylabs windtunnel. My neighbor, Ben Chui, designed it when he was writing for RC Model Cars Magazine. After the magazine died, and I stopped racing to finish school, it sat in Ben's garage for years. We did a lot testing with the Protoform Thunderbird HS and Monte Carlo HS - wish those bodies were still available.

Joe
Joe, do you still keep in contact with Ben? I also noticed Doug Adams was a driver. do you still talk to him? Does Ben work for Boeing/NASA?
Old 02-09-2007, 09:40 AM
Tech Regular

Ive run sportsman mod at the Encino velodrom with no special front end.
the car was planted. was running 4th until I was taken out.

I'm am still not sold on the sealed bottom chassis. I tried this at the Carson Velo. car was very loose. I believe there needs to a channel to allow the built up pressure out.

also I still have seen blow overs even with the DNA front ends. The DNA is a very good front end, however the parts seem to be getting scarce. I hope the is another low cost alternative to the DNA.

I think areodynamics is the key factor to this form of racing. it's the balance of front to rear downforce question. I love that dyno, and would love to try out some ideas, but $300 an hour is out of my sponsers budget to run there.

how about. 20 bucks?

wn
Old 02-09-2007, 09:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

I added a video that shows the car going from 0-80 and back to 0 mph. You can see how much force is pushing on the wing. Its hard to see, but the wing starts to flutter at about 60mph.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by nagatahawk
Ive run sportsman mod at the Encino velodrom with no special front end.
the car was planted. was running 4th until I was taken out.

I'm am still not sold on the sealed bottom chassis. I tried this at the Carson Velo. car was very loose. I believe there needs to a channel to allow the built up pressure out.

also I still have seen blow overs even with the DNA front ends. The DNA is a very good front end, however the parts seem to be getting scarce. I hope the is another low cost alternative to the DNA.

I think areodynamics is the key factor to this form of racing. it's the balance of front to rear downforce question. I love that dyno, and would love to try out some ideas, but $300 an hour is out of my sponsers budget to run there.

how about. 20 bucks?

wn
There are better methods in aerodynamics than using a flat bottom. The most efficient way of creating downforce on a racing car is by using ground effect.. The Lotus 79 is the best example of this.

The 79 used inverted airfoils on the sidepods and side skirts to keep the air flow creeping in through the sides. The idea is to create much lower pressure underneath the car than ontop. The best way to do this is to accelerate the air underneath.

The DNA front end isnt supposed to help aerodynamically. Its supposed to give much more suspension travel over the very bumpy track.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.