Search

Ofna Ld3

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 09:43 PM
Tech Adept

Yes I do.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:53 AM
Tech Elite

Nothing further needs be said, really. . .
Old 02-08-2003, 08:14 AM
Tech Adept

?
Old 02-20-2003, 03:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yimminie! Good thing I stumbled on this site. After wading thru some informative material on the LD3 (who'd thought that on a thread for it ), interesting diatribes on whether it's a shameless copy or mild evolution (as is just about all r/c cars in some way) and the usual Ofna-is-bs-they-can't-make-a -good-piece-of-toast-blahblahblah I've decided to wait for the pro version and get one. I like Ofna. I like the shaft idea. If I want a belt driver, I'll get a MTX3 or 705 and call it a day. But man, give the car a chance. You may like it

anybody remember the the LS-7 454, 426 Hemi or a Boss 429? Those were the days & I miss em
Yeah, back when cramming the biggest honking v8 into the lightest car just to run a 1/4 mile and pray it stopped straight (or didn't have to round a corner )
Old 02-28-2003, 08:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

This is a funny thread

How would you stick a viscous coupler on a belt drive? And a belt driven full scale car? I'd like to see that....

Anyways...how is the parts quality and durability of Ofna products? Do Ofna on roads compare with the strength of Kyosho products (my Kyosho is a tank, NEVER broken a suspension arm in a year)?

Also, with a shaft drive system, won't the stress of impact be transferred to the differentials in the event of a crash? Damaging the diffs....

As I understand one of the good sides to having a belt drive is that in the event of a crash, the belts do not transfer any force onto the diffs. This is because it is not a solid link, the belts will buckle and sag.

Reponses anybody....
Old 02-28-2003, 11:19 AM
Tech Master

My previous experience with Ofna (OB4 Int'l) was quite good. Nothing broke unless I did something really stupid (t-bone a car, for instance). For value to performance ratio can't be beat, IMHO.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

I haven't had that problem (knock on wood) and I've seen my share of wrecks (they don't call me Boomer for nothin). . .

I find that I have just a lot less maintenance with shaft than with belts - that's one reason I like them.

I've also found (and had some other drivers reaffirm) that shaft drive is more aggressive and positive - more like an electric car in driving style rather than a "pitching" style of driving like belt cars tend to prefer.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Boomer

I'm actually quite surprised that no competitive 1/8th onroad car is using a shaft. It is, inherently, far more efficient a drivetrain than is a belt.
Boomer don't forget that 1/8th scale on road cars use solid rear axles and front one ways exclusively. The NTC3 alreadys shows drivetrain weakness as soon as a one-way is thrown in, and if you were to extend that problem to a car with much more horsepower- it won't last. A shaft drive to a solid axle rear- there's no give, so when you hit something or jar a wheel on a curb it's going to snap something. I know a solid spool in the TC3 yields incredible snap out of the corners, but also makes the drivetrain more susceptible to drivetrain breakage. Off roaders with shaft drive have up to three diffs, sometimes torque sensing, to absorb impacts. All those diffs are simply too inefficient for 1/8th on-road.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Boomer
I've also found (and had some other drivers reaffirm) that shaft drive is more aggressive and positive - more like an electric car in driving style rather than a "pitching" style of driving like belt cars tend to prefer.
I think the "pitching" thing is related to running a front one-way (slow down early, settle the chassis into the turn, and get on the throttle early) rather than late braking/point and shoot, which you can get away with more with 2 diffs.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:58 PM
Tech Adept

Hey Kevin, how did you do at the state champs?
Old 03-04-2003, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

He and I both had big targets on the sides of our cars (although I think Kevin's was more on the rear of his car than on the side)
Old 03-04-2003, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Next body scheme idea Boomer! Bullseyes!

Bryan, not so great, but it was kind of fun.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Actually, I was thinking of painting one like a football. . .appropriate for being punted.
Old 03-05-2003, 10:39 PM
Tech Adept

Kevin, check your PM.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:56 PM
Tech Master

Whoever, whenever, whatever. Nitrohouse actually has them in stoc. I just placed my order tofay in hopes of getting it by Saturday. I wanted the Pro version, but I figure I'll orner that when it finally comes out, so I'll have two: one to really race and one to hop up or use as a beater car. Even though it has the wonderfully crappy Force 12 in it (you'd think Ofna would invest a little time making a better engine for this thing, seeing how they update the .21s AND early ads for the LD3 had a RB engine slapped in it), for a RTR with 2 box carrier, their usual goodies and fail-safe, you can't beat $300. It was either that or the Tornado, so I figure I may as well get what I wanted. I also ordered some Nitro Shoes for it (I may have got the shore rating screwed up, I'll check how it runs). I'll see how it runs, and when I get used to it either drop a XS12 PS in it or do the mod someone listed to slap a Traxxas 2.5 in a TC3. I'll keep this one pull start and run the pro with a bumpstart, thereby giving me time to actually BUY a starter box. Since the hbby shop I'll run at isn't ROAR sanctioned, it's run what you brung. In any case, I'll post pics and let you know how it goes when it comes in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.