Search

air travel question???

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 04:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default air travel question???

Hello,

Im going to dallas next month and I will bring my rc with me.

Is this gonna be ok with the TSA??

Thanks..
Old 05-21-2009, 04:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

i wood ship it ups or usps thats your best bet
Old 05-21-2009, 05:16 PM
Tech Initiate

If you do have to take it with you I would take your buggy and remote in your carry-on luggage. Pack everything else up nice and secure and check it. You cannot take fuel on the plane so you will have to buy some there.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

take your radio in your carry on and put your buggy in the bottom of the plane and use a tsa lock to lock your bag
Old 05-21-2009, 06:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by bluer322
take your radio in your carry on and put your buggy in the bottom of the plane and use a tsa lock to lock your bag
Yeah, now that I think about it, this would probably be better. I can just see a TSA agent looking at the xray screen confused and thinking "what the heck is that!?!? " lol. The fuel tank and engine alone may be enough for them to not let it on the plane as carry on.

It would probably be cheaper and safer to ship it though. Have you seen the extra bag and overweight luggage charges!?!?!
Old 05-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Take out the motor and fuel tank, put them in the bottom of the plane.
The TSA will probably check to see if any fuel is in it, but should (not definitely) let it through.
Ship it if possible though, much safer.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Can you bring the batteries?....If the gas tank is a problem I wil end up brinigng my spare tank(nib). But im thinking about the batteries.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You should be able to, just don't pack 12 10,000 mah LiPo's in one bag, haha. And leave them in the front/top part of your carry-on, where they are easily accessible, makes a huge difference, so they don't have to go through your stuff (makes their job easier). When I go on trips, I bring tons of electronics, with tons of wires, and I do this and they just take a look and I am good to go.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

thanks.. guys
Old 05-22-2009, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

WARNING - DO NOT TAKE YOUR RC STUFF ON A PLANE - PERIOD -I WORKED FOR HOMELAND SECURITY FOR A LONG WHILE-

the law states that ANY KIND of electronic or machanical device is subject to a search. Even if you put it at the bottom of the planes it still goes through xrays and once they see it - you bag will be searched. A big problem you have with that is now you cant explain to them what liquids are in the buggy - shock oil - difff grease ect. And they will hold that luggage until they get in contact with you. The locks DO NOT help as the TSA approved locks can be opened by a TSA checker. With a special key. According to my information provided at SFO you have to buy your own locks - TSA do not provide them.

I would ship FEDX ONLY - no ups no usps.
Dude this will save you alot of headache -

this i know from working and experiance........

Last edited by token; 05-22-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would call the airport before I took anyones advice on here about this issue. Nothing negative towards anyone but its not there loss when the security takes it from you. I guess listening to the homeland security guy would be wise though. See above !!
Old 05-22-2009, 01:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

ya what he sad just ship it ground save the headache
Old 05-22-2009, 01:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I just came back from the wiregrass and I flew NWA no problem. But the best way is to ship it. Like some else said. But you can take it. Like I said I just came back from the wiregrass and I've also flew to the great lakes challenge on-road race before but the same airline. But it was nerve recking. I would ship it next time. That way I know it will make with no problem its about the same price.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

if i travel i want my r/c stuff w/ me, this is what i do i take the motor ,gas tank should be super clean you know what i mean oil-free ,pls. no dripping & stop using the wd-40 to cleaned it ,its not good only if YOURE GOING TO COMPETE/RACE OFF-ISLAND OR OTHER COUNTRY,wrap it w/ newspaper & zip lock it each same thing as the batterys & if you can print out the r/c race announcement then bring it w/ you , if the tsa ask you what is this all about?show him the paper that your coming down to race/compete cause theres a big event on that country that way he will consider i would say that cause i did that once & your preciuos transmitter just carry-on & the truck in the bottom of the plane......hope you guys got the idea cause this is my experience ,damn i forgot to mention the starter box (less box batt.) yes i did bring it