Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions
DC Motor Sports Discussion Thread: >

DC Motor Sports Discussion Thread:

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DC Motor Sports Discussion Thread:

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 03:20 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by 1fastdude
Let me chime in here also, DC has some of the best winds that I have seen. All I can say is try one, you won't be dissapointed.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default DC in Canada

Curtis.....Korgae's operation is top notch and has supplied me with a couple of very nice DC mod motors through Black Diamod RC
Can't wait for the UL arms.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

When is the big Canada race? Where? Rubber or foam? Inside or outside?
Old 04-27-2005, 08:54 PM
Tech Addict

I do agree tandman, Korgae has a professional operation. Not to mention he’s very knowledgeable about the products Canada R/C distributes….
Old 04-27-2005, 09:04 PM
Tech Elite

Default Big Canadian Race

edmontonrc.com/cai/
Check it out. This will be the race to be at for more than just us Canadians. Some top drivers attending;Barry Baker, Todd Hodge, Andrew Cartwright, Dave Palmer, Keith Yu, Wayne Mah and the list will keep growing.
Edmonton Alberta has a very nice outdoor ashphalt track. We will be running the RP-30 tires for electric classes....mod touring (open motor)and 19spec locked endbell touring. Nitro 1/10 touring and 1/8 scale on-road.
Check it out.
Thanks......Dwayne Flodell
Old 04-27-2005, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I've already got a message in to korgae looking for a nice motor for my XXXT-MF2...

A few of the locals ran some of the DC mods in touring and they were absolutely ballistic. Looking at the armatures it was almost a shame to run them..so perfect and symmetrical withthe windings...they were almost to pretty to run..but when you let them rip you're glad you did

Can't wait to get a little DC power for myself
Old 04-27-2005, 09:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Curtis,

I am doing a rain dance here in Ohio. Hoping for rain Sunday so I can put a whoopin on that old 1FASTDUDE.... LOL...
Old 04-27-2005, 09:15 PM
Tech Addict

I don't know Rob. Eli's gona have some serious RIP....You know he's got new sticks and motors left over from that circle race he was at last weekend....Better be careful...LOL
Old 04-27-2005, 09:19 PM
Tech Addict

Hey Dwayne,

Looks like we should be getting some more motors out to Korgae here pretty soon….. Thanks for the support bud, we appreciate it!!!

Curtis,

Last edited by Curtis Schlaht; 04-27-2005 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:24 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Windsorguy99
I've already got a message in to korgae looking for a nice motor for my XXXT-MF2...

A few of the locals ran some of the DC mods in touring and they were absolutely ballistic. Looking at the armatures it was almost a shame to run them..so perfect and symmetrical withthe windings...they were almost to pretty to run..but when you let them rip you're glad you did

Can't wait to get a little DC power for myself
Hey Windsorguy99,

Thanks for the support bud.... People like you and all the others that have stopped by to show there gratitude is the reason why I'm here today..... YOU GUYS ROCK!!!
Old 04-27-2005, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

Default DC

Curtis.....it is guys like you that help us go faster.
Keep the power coming.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:36 PM
Tech Addict

Default XXX Brush Update!!! Track Testing….

Hey Guys,

Just thought I would let everyone know that we’ve been doing some testing with the XXX-Super Silver brushes… First, let me start off by saying that these brushes deliver great power, whether your application is stock, 19 turn or modified these brushes get the job done….Ok, with that said here we go.

We used three separate parameter for grading these brushes. 1) Performance, as in overall power. 2) Commutator wear/discoloration/carbon buildup, are grouped into one category. 3) Brush wear, just how many runs are possible …

For our test motor we decided to go with an aggressive setup to put these brushes to the test. We chose to use a DC Ti based 7x1; set at 20 degrees of timing, stiff silver springs and geared at a final drive ratio of 8.75 (on a 120x50 high bite asphalt track).
The actual composition of these brushes isn’t harder than other brushes, but the special lubricants used to decreases brush wear makes these brushes a BITC* to break in initially… So after 600 seconds @ 1.5v on the motor break-in stand we were ready to hit the track.
Our initial thought was “these are pretty good”, acceleration and top end were comparable to when we used quasar brushes, while the lap-times were also right on par matching our fastest lap of 12.3 seconds. Nearing the 5-minute mark we expected the motor’s performance to start fading, especially with 20 degrees of timing, well we were wrong. The motor stayed strong throughout the entire 5 min run and finished with a 12.5 second last lap, with 20 seconds left on the pack @ 30 amps.
After the second run was complete, with pretty much the same results as the first, we decided to tear the motor down for inspection. Upon inspection the comm had an ever so slight orange hue above and below where the brushes contact the comm (this is normal), and a grayish blue tint where the brushes would ride. We were shocked to find almost no carbon build up on the commutator, as most brushes just decimate the comm in this aspect (as most of you know who have used quasar brushes before). One pass on the lathe and the arm was good to go (defiantly less comm wear than regular brushes).
The brushes showed absolutely no signs of discoloring or glazing. A quick cleaning with a fiberglass comm stick and they looked as good as new… After assembling the motor for the second time it was no longer necessary to break the brushes in for 600 seconds, as the brushes are now already seated to within .001” of comms current diameter… After a quick break-in of 200 seconds and we were back on the track….
We continued our test for 18 more runs, while truing the comm every 2-3 runs. After compounding a total of twenty runs on 1 set of brushes we were ready to call our testing session…

After looking over our notes and composing our thoughts here’s the final verdict:

Actual brush wear was a total of 1.10mm; just over half the brush-life was consumed during our twenty run test session. We estimated that another 10 runs would be probable before the brush became too short to function. Final inspection of the brush would still show no signs of discoloring/burning (we felt that was impressive due to the aggressive motor setup & gearing)…. Overall performance in this parameter we gave the XXX bushes an A+…

Commutator wear, discoloration & carbon buildup were infinitely better with the XXX brush, when compared to that of the standard copper/silver/carbon brushes we’ve been using for years. Yet when compared to the Reedy Plutonium brush or the CS brush we thought that the actual wear imposed on the commutator could have been slight higher with the XXX brushes….. In this parameter we gave the XXX-Brush an A-…

The overall power was quite impressive. We’ve tested all the other super-silver brushed on the market today and have yet to find one that we felt was this powerful. If we had to rate the XXX Brush against the other super silver brushes on the market we would defiantly say this one is top dog… We gave the XXX-Brush an A+ in this parameter…

Final Thoughts:
If one we’re to compare the XXX brush against some of the other super silver brushes on the market today, like the Reedy Plutonium Brush or the CS Racing brushes their outcome could differ slightly from ours, depending on their testing conditions. Take into account that the Reedy & CS brushes are twice the price of the XXX brush weighs heavier in favor of the XXX compound…

Curtis,
Old 04-27-2005, 09:39 PM
Tech Addict

Default Re: DC

Originally posted by tandman
Curtis.....it is guys like you that help us go faster.
Keep the power coming.
You got it Brotha….
Old 04-27-2005, 09:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i've beenchattign wtih korgae onhere for a while...he told me about DC motors before the takeoff race..but I shied away as it was my first Mod race and I didnt' think i'd need the extra rip....

After seeing the performance on the track and peeking around your site my mind was made up on what I'd be running for mod-offroad...

Although I hear that there are some new things ready to hit the scene???
Old 04-28-2005, 06:58 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Windsorguy99

Although I hear that there are some new things ready to hit the scene???

Soon enough...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.