Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Novak GT7.........what is......

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 08:44 AM
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

I'm very surprised to read of problems with Novak products.

I am not American. I live on the opposite side of the World, and have no American ancestors or connections. Through the years I have found that products manufactured in the USA are made to very high standards and that's one reason we go for Novak.

My son and I have GT7s on our touring cars. We have had them since the start of the race season 6 months ago. hey are bullitt proof!

He races a TC3 in mod, and has won all 5 rounds to date. I race an MR4 in stock and have won 3 of the 5 rounds. We had TC2's last year and TC's the year before that. We also charge with Novak Milleniums - why? - because we believe that US quality is second to none.

We have never had any problems with any of our Novak products, despite the fact that here in Malta we race in 100 plus temperatures during the summer months.

Before we changed to Novak we did experience blown speedos, chargers etc, and indeed I still see plenty of blue smoke at the track, so even though we are not Americans, we will stick with Novak for their reliability if nothing else.

To the gentleman that said his GT7 wasn't as punchy as his TC2. What programmes are you running it on?

What amuses me most is the way Americans have a habbit of belittling their own countries excellent products.

You don't know how lucky you guys are! Just a thought for the new year.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I used every profile the GT7 has to offer and it doesn't compare to the TC2. IMO I feel that the GT7 would be better in off road than on road. Other people may have different views but just about everyone around these parts have gone back to the TC2 or switched to Keyence. It has nothing to do with belittling my countries products...if that was the case I wouldn't like Novak at all. Opinions on one product shouldn't determine that we are Anti american if we don't like something made here.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:17 PM
Tech Adept

My whole question was why did Novak feel the need to replace the entire Cyclone series? I have a TC2 and don't plan on switching to a GT7 anytime soon....
Old 01-02-2003, 10:43 PM
Tech Addict

I am American...and I do love my Novak products... Still running an Origional Cyclone in one of my Tc3's and the other a Cyclone TC...in my Tamiya f201 I am using the GT7 and just bought another for my Tao4R.... Novak is a great company, and have great products as well as great customer service!!! For punch...well I have to say that I find that the GT7 delivers excellant punch, especially when the car your running it in is geared properly and good batts are used.....

Johnbull- It surprises me that many Americans will bad mouth American products...... I guess they should go and live in another country....just to see how good they have it here!!!
Old 01-03-2003, 02:58 AM
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

SKIBUM.

Different companies have different policies. Some will just do running changes - Novak have done this in the past, simply improving a product without making a whole hulabaloo about it. They are still doing this. They have already made a few improvements on the GT7 and the Millenium Pro for example, but part numbers and prices are the same.

Car manufacturers are doing it all the time. look at the new TC3. Still same numbers but newer wishbones, centreshaft, etc.

On the other hand sometimes they just have to produce new products, even if there isn't actually much that's new about them, just the wrapping. This happens alot, and it works. You buy a new gadget because it is nice to have the latest - it's not necessarily going to be that much better, but it's a commercial necessity. The Novak TC2 I'm sure is still an excellent speedo. The GT7 is just more versatile.

Not doing that can work against you. Look at Yokomo. How many people are racing MR4s now compared to 2 years ago. They need to do something they can shout about, otherwise enthusiasts will simply buy the latest from another manufacturer. If Yoke simply changed a few bits and called it an MR5 they would probably start selling them like hot cakes again.

Strange but true!

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 01-03-2003, 04:51 AM
Tech Champion

I guess from what I'm reading I should sell everything that's not American. Give me a break. America has good and bad products PERIOD. What works for you may not work for me. I do run a Losi if that will get me any bonus points!!!
Old 01-03-2003, 06:06 PM
Tech Addict

stlnlst- Actually the idea is not to buy JUST American products...it is to realize that we are lucky to be able to choose from a wide array of products that include american products as well as others...in some countries to even own an RC Car is quite a luxary.......
Old 01-03-2003, 08:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default XXXKAT

Originally posted by xxxkat
Question for roddude,How many times did your GT-7 shut down and for how long,last week my gt-7 shut down in the main and went back to working after about 40 sec.I know it was not the brushes hanging up(had no power to steering servo).I have checked everything and have not found any "real" problems...yet.I was just wondering if my problem is speed controler or reciever
Sorry ... I havent been online in a little while ... My first gt7 just flat out died in the middle of the first race. still had steering and the esc was showing with the leds that it was working normally ... but it didnt put any voltage out to the motor ... (I tested it with a voltmeter) ... the second wsa the one I described in my post. shut down like it was going into the set mode ... mine wouldnt do anything until you shut it off and truned it back on ... the third one is the one on sale .... I have never run it to see if it works or not .... I primarly used the aggreesive stock and custom profiles .... the aggressive stock was noticeably softer than my previous and now back up tc2 and no where near as punchy as my current Quantum. in the custom mode it was ok ... a little better than the tc2 and on par or just a little softer than my quantum .... and it was tested with the lowest drive frequency I could go to .... the problems were very real and stumpped the guys at my LHS which also runs the track I run at. and the punch stuff is just my humble opinion ... I have only been in the hobby for a little over a year ... but I have been doing Electronics for 7 yrs and racing full size cars for the past 4 yrs ...... and on the subject of bashing manufactures .. I did not do that .... I have a tc2 from novak, I also have three of their Xxtra recievers and an EVX speedo for my Emaxx. I might even get another EVX for when I upgrade my other monster truck to do pulling competitions and such. I am not bashing Novak .... I am simply stating the problems that I have had with a product and that I will not go back to that specific product. If Novak comes out with an ESC for my onroad racing that looks like it will suit my needs I will try it again ... I may not be right on the cutting edge again but I will try their equipment again if the need or want arises ...

Last edited by roddude65; 01-03-2003 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Thanks for the reply,I had just got back into RC racing when I bought the GT-7 and it seem's a little soft on the punch for touring cars.I never noticed a lack of punch on off road.
Old 01-03-2003, 11:21 PM
Tech Initiate

One thing that struck me after running my GT7 was"what does the lack of a heatsink do to the performance of the ESC"

Last edited by rcconcept; 01-03-2003 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-04-2003, 12:34 AM
Tech Master

RODDUDE,

Did you never refer your problem to Novak?

I have always found Charlie at Novak extremely polite and co-operative, and I am sure he will be able to explain to you what is going wrong.

The punch thing is a question of choice. I usually have to reduce the amount of punch on speedos because I don't believe I am capable of handling it. To be honest I don't think there are many drivers in the World capable of handling cars with speedos set at maximum punch, especially in mod. The smoothness of the GT7 is one feature Novak boast about, probably for this reason. Let's be fair, it does make the car so much easier to drive, and we know that a car that is easier to drive is usually faster.

To sum this one up I reckon that a touring car that is geared properly, has a motor that is producing the power that it should produce, and has a good set of top quality 3000 or 3300 cells should have more power and punch than most of us lesser mortals can handle. I am not referring to the Spashetts, Bakers, Masamis and Haras of this world. But they are few and far between.

STLNST,

I agree there are good and not so good products from every manufacturer, but I think you have got the wrong end of the stick. Skibum has pretty well hit the nail on the head.

I must say you guys are starting to worry me with all these tales of wow. We have run our GT7s for months now without problems and both my son Josh and I presently lead our respective classes in the National championship with a clean reliability record. Perhaps a word from Charlie at Novak wouldn't go amiss. I believe he reads these forums. I will be E mailing him anyway to find out more.

One thing that does worry me is the narrower guage wires supplied with the GT7. They are 14 guage whereas the wires supplied with previous high end speedos have always been 12 gauge. Another one to ask Charlie.

Have a good weekend.

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 01-04-2003, 05:08 AM
Tech Champion

No matter what end of the stick I or anyone at the two tracks I race at are holding we all ended up with the same result. TC2 or Keyence.
Old 01-04-2003, 06:18 AM
Tech Adept

Last edited by AGR#7; 01-04-2003 at 06:34 AM.
Old 01-04-2003, 06:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Holy Cow,

I have a gt-7 and I think it is great. I still have a tc2 and a couple orginal cyclones but hands down the gt-7 is the best. I run on a very high bite carpet track and noticed a diference right away with the gt-7. I run in stock class mostly and use the agressive stock profile. My tc3 just jumps out of the corners it always seemed soft with the tc2. I really don't have any complaints with the Novak product line their customer service is great.

Somewhere someone asked why they came out with a new speed controler. I don't know for sure but I think it has to do with the fet's the gt-7 uses much better fets than the c2. Also I think it might have to do with the programing options. It is really easy to mess up a cyclone with a pit wizard and with the gt-7 you don't have that option of screwing it up.

Later
Jesse
Old 01-04-2003, 07:44 AM
Tech Regular

I've been a long time fan of novak speedies, basically because the two that I bought new have never had to go back to be repaired, I still have not just an original cyclone but an original tempest as well, as well as having a couple of second hand hammers in the past. I think the reason Novak completely changed models was to drag themselves into this century and start using the technology everyone else is using to make smaller speedies. That Tempest I have is a freakin brick, I almost wish it would give up the ghost so I would have an excuse to get a GT-7. Even the cyclone isn't that small. Hang on, scratch that argument, I forgot about the atom. Anyway, I haven't got a GT7, but I can't see how there could be any horrrible problems with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.