Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to Electric & got a few Questions!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 08:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default New to Electric & got a few Questions!!

First off thanks for helping in advance! Im brand new to electric and bought a used Factory team B4. I need to rebuild the transmission as it is not very smooth when I rotate one rear wheel. What parts do I need to buy to do it?

I am going brushless and wanted to know about the novak spread spektrum 2.4 GTB. I was told to buy one with a 13.5 brushless Novak motor. I've been offered a non spread spectrum version GTB but I run a Futaba spks with the fasst system and wanted to know will the non spread spektrum version GTB work with my radio set up??

Also what gearing should I be running with the brusless 13.5 set up in that car. The gear that goes on the motor (like a clutch bell) and the spur gear (the big one)?? I dont want to over gear it and damage the motor (if that's even possible). I bought a 3800 orion 30c lipo.

Last edited by Teflon; 02-01-2009 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Teflon
First off thanks for helping in advance! Im brand new to electric and bought a used B4. I need to rebuild the transmission as it is not very smooth when I rotate one rear wheel. What parts do I need to buy to do it?

I am going brushless and wanted to know about the novak spread spektrum 2.4 GTB. I was told to buy one with a 13.5 brushless Novak motor. I've been offered a non spread spectrum version GTB but I run a Futaba spks with the fasst system and wanted to know will the non spread spektrum version GTB work with my radio set up??

Also what gearing should I be running with the brusless 13.5 set up in that car. The gear that goes on the motor (like a clutch bell) and the spur gear (the big one)?? I dont want to over gear it and damage the motor (if that's even possible). I bought a 3800 orion 30c lipo.
Assuming that you already have carbide diff balls you can just buy an ASC7677 rebuild kit, ASC6588 Black Grease, and ASC6591 Diff Lube.

The standard GTB will work just fine with your Futaba. I have one that I run with my 3PKS. I actually have been happier with it than I have with my LRP Sphere Comps.

Gearing will of course be dependent on your track. I would recommend asking a couple of your better local racers what they run for gearing. But I would imagine that a 78 spur and about a 27 or 28 pinion would be a decent starting point.. Usually best to start a little low and work your way up. The best way to gear is to run the car for 5 minutes and check the motor temp. Ideally you want the motor to be around 160F at the end of a run. However...don't exceed 175F. If the motor is too cool step up to a larger pinion. If it's too hot step down.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your B4. It's a great little buggy!
Old 02-01-2009, 08:40 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks alot!!! I will order all of those things!! I forgot to mention its a Factory Team B4...not sure if they have different transmissions or not.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:01 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks alot!!! I will order all of those things!! I forgot to mention its a Factory Team B4...not sure if they have different transmissions or not.
No prob. Tranny will be the same, but that does almost certainly guarantee carbide diff balls.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I am running 20/87 in my T4 w/ a Castle Creations 5700kV motor. That ratio offers more acceleration and top speed than that truck would ever be able to use.

Here some info diff balls and rings. http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ssociated.html

Gear ratio chart, this way you can get cooler motor temps but still run a ratio you like.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Go with the BFast diff rebuild. The best there is.

Any GTB will work fine, but it is nice to have the Lipo cut off one.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Tech Adept

I'll have to try the Bfast one next time I went and ordered the one AVRCGUY suggested. I looked at the Bfast one after wards and couldn't find a $20 set up and couldn't find pics to see if the $15.99 one came with everything that avrcguy said I needed.

I got the spread spektrum with lipo cut off GTB being mailed on monday!!! I also ordered a 22t pinion as the stock spur gear is a 81t on this buggy. I hope that works well with the bush less novak 13.5 I have coming.

Still a little unsure on the proper break in and setting and rebuilding of the tranmission but I have the manual so I'll give it a shot. I almost want to pay the local hobbie shop to do it all so I dont fry the motor or something stupid but then I wont learn how to do it on my own. I'll keep my fingers crossed as I'm a fish out of water here!! lol

All electric guys that go to 1/8 scale are sooo fast right off the bat and I started with 1/8 scale so I figured to go electric to learn throttle control.. Backwards but Im trying!

Thanks for all your help guys!!!
Old 02-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Tech Regular

I'll have to try the Bfast one next time I went and ordered the one AVRCGUY suggested. I looked at the Bfast one after wards and couldn't find a $20 set up and couldn't find pics to see if the $15.99 one came with everything that avrcguy said I needed.

I got the spread spektrum with lipo cut off GTB being mailed on monday!!! I also ordered a 22t pinion as the stock spur gear is a 81t on this buggy. I hope that works well with the bush less novak 13.5 I have coming.

Still a little unsure on the proper break in and setting and rebuilding of the tranmission but I have the manual so I'll give it a shot. I almost want to pay the local hobbie shop to do it all so I dont fry the motor or something stupid but then I wont learn how to do it on my own. I'll keep my fingers crossed as I'm a fish out of water here!! lol

All electric guys that go to 1/8 scale are sooo fast right off the bat and I started with 1/8 scale so I figured to go electric to learn throttle control.. Backwards but Im trying!

I think you'll find that you're gonna be pretty far under geared. A larger spur gear means lower gearing. Just remember that a larger pinion means more speed and for the spur it is the oposite.

When I started out it helped me to think of how the gearing on my 10-speed bicycle as a kid worked. The gear on the pedals is the equivalent to the pinion gear, and the gears on the back wheel are the equivalent to the spur gear.

BTW. Don't worry about cooking anything. When you run a Novak motor with a Novak speed control the entire system has a thermal protection. If either the motor or speed control gets too hot it will shut down.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Suspended

unlike nitro, electric cars need a selection of pinion gears (and spurs) to gear for the track they're running. just grabbing one won't do.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:52 PM
Tech Adept

So with the stock 81t spur gear what pinion should I run with out getting the motor too hot. What's too hot?? Should I get a 27 or 28 spur or bigger?? I dont want to change the spur gear I'll just chage the pinion.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:03 PM
Tech Regular

So with the stock 81t spur gear what pinion should I run with out getting the motor too hot. What's too hot?? Should I get a 27 or 28 spur or bigger?? I dont want to change the spur gear I'll just chage the pinion.
I'm not even certain it would possible to get a large enough pinion to fit with an 81t spur to overheat the motor. I'm pretty certain a 27 or 28 will still be slightly under geared. It's just really tough to say without knowing the track conditions. Do you have any other local racers you can ask?

Robbie T is right, and as time goes by you'll find you will end up with an assortment of pinions.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:30 PM
Tech Adept

I'll have to ask the guys that run electric locally here. I'll also order the 87t spur gear just in case. That guy said hes running 20/87 and he has lots of power. I'll try that. I guess I just need a starting point. But I will get advise from the guys at my local track. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2009, 01:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You want somewhere around 7.5~8.5 FD depending on motor and track conditions. Best bet is to see what the other guys are running.

Also note, although all of the above combination are made, a big chunk of those combinations won't physically fit without modifications (ie a 35 pinion will be way too big to fit with just about all of those spurs, the 12 wont be big enough to even touch the spur all the way forward)
Old 02-02-2009, 10:28 AM
Tech Regular

I'll have to ask the guys that run electric locally here. I'll also order the 87t spur gear just in case. That guy said hes running 20/87 and he has lots of power. I'll try that. I guess I just need a starting point. But I will get advise from the guys at my local track. Thanks!
I would bet the guy running a 20/87 is running a brushed setup. Brushed stock motors run much higher rpm's than brushless. 20/87 on a brushless setup is gonna be WAY slow.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the help guys I needed to know the target range on those charts I had no clue what I was looking for! lol I will keep the 81T spur gear and I'll get a 27T pinion and I'll run it with the Brushless 13.5 novak set up and see what happens. That puts me in the range on the second chart. Im waiting for all the stuff to come in the mail and when I get it all I'll be posting many questions!! I got transmission rebuild kit coming novak GTB speed control with novak 13.5 brushless motor. Hope to get it all set up! lol Wish me luck!