Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TC Euro's 2002

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 10:01 AM
Tech Master

Hi Reto again.

I had seen pictures of your track at Lostallo quite some time ago. People sent them to me to try and persuade us to do the Euros.

It is great. I like big tracks where the cars really get going. With 13 laps in 5 minutes that must be about 23 second laps. Our local IC track is about the same size - those are the times we do with electric touring cars on that track. Our own electric track, which has quite a few variations has a 21 second lap on it's longest variation, but what is so great about Lostallo is the setting. You can't beat that. It's just beautiful.

I always reckoned that if I could afford it I would live 6 months of the year here in Malta and 6 months in Switzerland - summer in your country of course.

It's so hot here at the moment that if you don't allow the car to cool right down between runs the motor gets so hot that the brush springs soften and bend, and the solder on the speedo to motor wires melts. And that's in the evenings.

During the daytime it's too hot for anything other than swimming.

Not having seen your name among the entries at Lostallo I wondered if you had in fact retired.

Happy retirement anyway.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 08-08-2002, 10:22 AM
Tech Adept

Johnbull: I just posted Juho's setup on my website.
Old 08-08-2002, 05:50 PM
Tech Regular

John

Mario is not the owner or designer.

If you had bought a Xray a small booklet comes with the kit that has the story of Juraj Hudy.
So, he's not lying at all. You just didn't remember the name of the man behind the Hudy brand, maybe?

Mario Hudy is the Marketing Manager

And from his viewpoint at the Euros I think he must know what went well and what went wrong over there.

And in spite of you saying that Xray is a blatant copy of the Corally, I have one and it's an awesome car.

Quality - Excellent
Performance - Excellent

Člen určitý automobil is výborný (does this sound right?? LOL)
Old 08-08-2002, 06:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Even if the design of the xray originated from the corrally, the final result while not putting down Corrally, has far surpassed its origins. In areas such as tunability, ease of maintenance, and quality.

Virtually all designs in all types of market had an origin somewhere else, it is because they have proven the design, and the new company can refine it further.
Old 08-08-2002, 06:28 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I guess if you copy a car and run it for a little it is easy to make it better since all the real hard work was done for you.

Remember the Custom Works Dominator. One killer 4wd oval car. It was so awesome a company named SRP made the same car but used some aluminum to make it different. Many called it Similiar Racing Products. Very easy for SRP to make the a car a little better since someone else did all the hard work and designed the Dominator from the ground up. All they had to do was to get one and check it out. Then make a few little changes and give it a new name and they have a car.

I figure Hudy did much of the same almost so that it looked at one time like a Photo Copy. It was scary to see a company be so blatent when copying anothers hard work.

Many cars are similiar but not a carbon copy. Yea the Xray is different now but again the hard work was done. I think I will copy the Yoke MR4TC but use a few trick looking alum. parts and give it a new name and say I designed it.

It is bad when people can't design they own stuff and resort to copying others hard work. The court system takes to long and too much money to stop this so that is why in r/c you can get away with it.
Old 08-08-2002, 07:12 PM
Tech Regular

interesting thread. johnbull has certainly stirred up a lively debate.
i remember when the xray first came out, juraj hudy was prominently featured in their promotional literature as the designer and the writeup made it sound as though this car was something revolutionary, advanced and original. i have nothing against these people from xray but my reaction to the company was totally negative at the blatant copying. i mean, couldn't they have come out with their own ideas? surely they themselves know that the public cannot be fooled that it is a (improved) clone of the corally? how would you feel if you're the designer from corally who did all the initial hard work?

there is no doubt the xray is truly an excellent car in terms of performance and build quality. (it is something a corally C4.2 or C5 should have been), however it can never disguise the fact that it is a copy. perhaps their brochures shld have stated "we copied and improved on an excellent car and look what we've come up with!"

Last edited by Kyew; 08-08-2002 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-08-2002, 07:27 PM
Tech Champion

How can anyone in their right mind call the xray a carbon copy, while the general layout, is the same, the parts, and quality are no where near each other. Sitting side by side they dont look the same. Calling it a 4.2 would be more suitable, it is where corrally would have gone next.

Everyone claims the TC3 was original, but does anyone remember the Tenth Tech Predator, associated did an exact replica of the chassis, just bolted on different arms and standup towers and everyone herralled it original, give me a break. If HPI decide to do the same good on them, it would have to be better than the pro3.
Old 08-08-2002, 07:43 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Besercoe
How can anyone in their right mind call the xray a carbon copy, while the general layout, is the same, the parts, and quality are no where near each other. Sitting side by side they dont look the same. Calling it a 4.2 would be more suitable, it is where corrally would have gone next.

Everyone claims the TC3 was original, but does anyone remember the Tenth Tech Predator, associated did an exact replica of the chassis, just bolted on different arms and standup towers and everyone herralled it original, give me a break. If HPI decide to do the same good on them, it would have to be better than the pro3.
i disagree. the xray is indeed a copy (albeit improved) of the c4.1 in terms of idea and design. you cannot compare using factors such as parts quality. what we're debating is whether is it okay to take someone's project where lots r&d time and money have been invested, fiddle and improve on it, rebadge it and call it your own.

losi spent lots of time and money before coming out the xxxs (remember the prototype which failed to perform at the 2000 worlds in yatabe?) at least they can claim the xxxs is something they created themselves. the pro3 is also a different design from others. schumacher's mission has a new way of laying a twin belt car. before that the axis and sst were different in layouts. the mr4 was different from others when it came out. kyosho tried with the kx-1. if you look at the original xray t1, there were no new ideas. it was simply an improvement of parts plus some refinement on the c4.1. of course xray is not the only guilty party in terms of copying ides. there are other companies just as guilty. just spare some thought for the designers of rc cars.

the tc3 and predator is another similar topic that can be debated endlessly.

Last edited by Kyew; 08-08-2002 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-08-2002, 08:10 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Next to SRP copying the Custom Works Dominator the Xray copy of the Corally is the worst that I have seen in my 20 years in the r/c car industry. You can argue all you want the bottom line is it started as a total ripoff of the Corally. A photo machine could not copy that good.

Now has the Xray been improved over the Corally and the answer is obivously yes. They did a good job improving it and making it very trick car. Its not that I care they couldn't design their own car but I hate how everyone thinks Xray is original.
Old 08-08-2002, 08:12 PM
Tech Adept

burito: thanks for the picture. must be one of the best places on this planet to race RC car........
we have 9 permanent tracks in Bangkok, but none of them can beat the 'amosphere' of that Euro 2002 track. not the fresh air ...for sure!! what a track.. what a country ...!!!
Old 08-08-2002, 09:14 PM
Tech Champion

Has anyone ever taken the time to remember that the corrally was also a copy? Am i the only one who has seen the little serpents on all the suspension pieces.

Life is about evolution, there are only so many ways to reinvent the wheel.
Old 08-08-2002, 10:08 PM
Tech Champion

Has anyone ever taken the time to remember that the corrally was also a copy? Am i the only one who has seen the little serpents on all the suspension pieces.

Life is about evolution, there are only so many ways to reinvent the wheel.
wrong...

the C4 was a joint development between Serpent and Corally, the C4 arms LATER appeared on the Serpent Impulse! (C4 was born first)
Old 08-08-2002, 10:43 PM
Tech Champion

this is a world of copy ! who cares ?

The pivot suspension system first made by BMT.

the first two belt car made by kyosho? or yokomo ??

the first CVD made by MIP

the first ball diff made by ass o

the first "turbo" engine made by Novarossi

the first shaft driven car made by Tamiya

What I really care is "I get what I paid for it"

And I do love "my Best car"
Old 08-08-2002, 11:06 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Manticore
this is a world of copy ! who cares ?

The pivot suspension system first made by BMT.

the first two belt car made by kyosho? or yokomo ??

the first CVD made by MIP

the first ball diff made by ass o

the first "turbo" engine made by Novarossi

the first shaft driven car made by Tamiya

What I really care is "I get what I paid for it"

And I do love "my Best car"
Rock on Manticore!.....You know what? I sometimes simply think that either;

1) We have seen too many RC cars...
2) We simply have no "brand" loyalty.....

Which is a good thing...because in a couple of years time a lot of these guys will be thinking "what an excellent car this new Brand X is" and totally forgeting the this stupid debate about whether Brand Y copied Brand Z......

Very humourous conversation.....

Bottom line.........who really gives a SH!T?????
Old 08-08-2002, 11:16 PM
Tech Elite

Aye, the TC3 is derivative, but to say it's a copy of the Predator would be akin to saying it's a copy of the ORIGINAL shaft driven cars - Tamiya. . .and I think both would be a serious stretch.

The Predator was shaft driven and had a tub chassis - but was far more modular and far far more complex than the TC3 is, with laydown shocks and a wierd arm pin system.

There is a difference between an evolutionary design and a copycat design.

Nobody that I know of within 200 miles has a Corally touring car, so I can't comment on the similarity of the X-Ray to the Corally. I have compared, however, the Tenth to the TC-3, directly, in person, and whilst they have a few similarities, they are in no way copies of each other.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.