Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 05:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Old 04-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jla8874
This is a little off topic, but can you please tell me Dawn what is taking sooo long to approve the Speed Passion 17.5 motor? We have been hearing for months, "Were just waiting for ROAR approval." Any clue as to when you are going to approve it?

don't know if this has been addressed, but roar has NOT had a speed passion 17.5 for MONTHS to approve. As far as i know and have been told its only been a couple of weeks that they have had the 17.5. Same with the 13.5
Old 04-19-2008, 06:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeremy Felles
Soooo, today I decided to go to Taco Bell on my lunchbreak, and I noticed something that I should've realized years ago.....There are never attractive women at Taco Bell, it just doesn't seem to happen. I think next time I'll try a Juice it up or something similar. I've probably got a much better chance of meeting my future ex-wife at one of those.

Sorry, were you guys saying something?
is this Jeremy "who is this kid" Felles?

this is the old fat guy that was standing next to you at nats when you said that about dakota.

perfect timing on the post.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Thats nice to hear. I know Speed Passions been saying far longer than two weeks that they were just waiting for ROAR.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by schurcr
The Maxamps "Skinz" were not approved. They did not meet the rules for hard case. Hard cases per the rules must be installed by the mfr. and can not be user installed.
how about the "built in skins" Have they been tested as well?
Old 04-19-2008, 07:16 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jla8874
Thats nice to hear. I know Speed Passions been saying far longer than two weeks that they were just waiting for ROAR.
They must of sent it with the wrong label on it so it takes longer.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:27 PM
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Like I've said on other forums...
Roar bashing is like soooooo 5 years ago.

I remember when people complained to no end about Roar not "getting with the times" and having online sign up and online rev up ( ). Now that they've taken it even farther and offered an OPTION for online national entries, they get bashed because it comes with a price. Grasping at straws, pretending to be lawyers, playing the "principle of the matter" card, and all over an amount less than you'll spend on those cute little customized name stickers you'll put on your car, and pitboard, and soldering iron, etc.

This thread need perspective, or at least those bashing Roar do.
Roar is providing OPTIONS, while you provide little more than headaches in return. Thats the PRINCIPLE of the matter here.

Last edited by JKA; 04-19-2008 at 09:28 PM. Reason: i can't spelll
Old 04-20-2008, 05:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JKA
Like I've said on other forums...
Roar bashing is like soooooo 5 years ago.

I remember when people complained to no end about Roar not "getting with the times" and having online sign up and online rev up ( ). Now that they've taken it even farther and offered an OPTION for online national entries, they get bashed because it comes with a price. Grasping at straws, pretending to be lawyers, playing the "principle of the matter" card, and all over an amount less than you'll spend on those cute little customized name stickers you'll put on your car, and pitboard, and soldering iron, etc.

This thread need perspective, or at least those bashing Roar do.
Roar is providing OPTIONS, while you provide little more than headaches in return. Thats the PRINCIPLE of the matter here.
sorry thought better of my post

Last edited by hairy; 04-20-2008 at 06:58 AM.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

to all officers at R.O.A.R.........a sincere thank you for your dedication to the hobby
Old 04-20-2008, 07:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have always gotten good straight-forward answers from the ROAR administrative staff by sending an e-mail directly to whomever I thought was the best person on the ROAR staff from answering that particular question. Sometimes what I asked was re-directed to another person, as it was more in-line with the job they were handling.

Putting the screws to someone in a forum that they may or may not frequent is not the way to go about getting answers to questions, valid or not. In a situation like this (especially this forum), there is the mob mentality with a bunch of keyboard pirates that only want to step up the drama against anyone, not just ROAR. Some people that are pressing ROAR for 'answers' and 'deserve to know what is going on' aren't even members, or aren't even planning to become members.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:25 AM
JKA
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hairy
everybody seems angry and defensive why?
And you too now huh? Oh darn... seems you deleted your response. lol

You guys asked a legitimate question. It was answered.
You sought reasonable clarification. It was provided.

I don't think anyone here, ROAR representative or otherwise, would expect you to not ask questions and even better still get involved. To the contrary, I'm pretty sure the participation here by ROAR reps (including our Prez) proves their desire to keep people informed and involved.

The only problem comes when people will not accept the answers provided to their questions. I'm not sure if you feel the answers aren't thorough enough, don't fit your ideals, or simply don't make sense to you. Either way the incessant assumption that ROAR is "hiding something" or avoiding questions or just plain out of line is ridiculous and sure to make those that volunteer for thankless jobs at ROAR to become defensive and pull back.

I also find it quite strange how merely voicing an opinion, continually nit picking imperfections, and doing little more than ridiculing from afar can honestly be believed to be of value. Comparing this "voice" to our (flawed) political process is also a bit of a stretch. With Roar you must make not only your voice heard, but to truly make a difference you must WORK within the structure to help better things. I don't think anyone will claim that Roar is perfect, but just as some of you admit under Dawns leadership (and hard work by some others esp. Tim Potter IMO) ROAR is heading very FAST in the right direction.

Dodgeguy - I met you once at a race in parkersburg wv ( I think ) and can say I believe you to be a genuinely good guy. I'm unsure how that fits with your efforts here, its a bit confusing to me. But knowing you aren't the type to bash for sport I'd seriously recommend you try to get more involved in Roar. Email Dawn with your constructive comments, search for a way to get involved with a committee, or assisting your regional director. Take that step to do the very thing you keep stating is your intention - to provoke positive change. I'm sure in the long run it would be a win win.

Last edited by JKA; 04-20-2008 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Hairy changed his mind
Old 04-20-2008, 07:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

so i guess we all know that to ask questions is bad, to ask for clarification is evil. patience is a virtue. some people need to learn patience.
Asking the question is not bad, the manner/tone in which the question is FRAMED can be. Take a look at the VERY first post that started this out. That wasn't a "question" in any legitimate sense--that was a rant.

To which Dawn very reasonably replied:

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
ROAR's view is the majority of the membership not attending national events should not pay the convenience fees for the nationals attendee.

This is why the choice was given to the entrant to either mail the entry flyer in with payment of their entry fee OR use the online service with service fees applied by Pay Pal and the administration of the registration site.

There will always be those who complain of the cost of nationals. ROAR cannot address each complaint as in this day in age, there are expenses to be paid and business must be attended to.
You followed up with this lame attempt at a dig that you carefully framed as a "question" by taking the "r.o.a.r. can not address complaints" entirely out of its context in leaving out Dawn's preceding sentence:

r.o.a.r. can not address complaints? ithought that was part of doing business
Which is absolutely (and quite clearly) not what Dawn said. People will always whine about the cost of this or that, unfortunately things cost. The fact that "things cost" are the things ROAR can't address.

And people who "ask questions" (most are really just randomly bitching but I'll give 'em benefit of the doubt here) are really only legitimately concerned about the organization if they're trying to THINK OF A SOLUTION on their own. In this particular instance the organization has decided (quite rightly) that those who benefit from a particular, identifiable, and QUITE OPTIONAL expense should be those who pay it. If someone has heartburn with that they should suggest alternate avenues that accomplish the intended goal (provide online registration service) that will do so for free. Etc.

In all this hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth, and please correct me if I'm mistaken, it looks like pretty much the only people who benefit financially in any of this is PayPal--THEY'RE who get the fees. Whoever is collecting the "fee" is ultimately passing it on to PayPal.

Positing "shouldn't the $30/year I pay cover this" is probably a legitimate question if one hasn't thought things through, though that is again pretty much exactly what Dawn answered in her first reply. Your membership is not a checking account for benefits. The money you pay is pooled together with the money everybody pays in and is used to cover the expenses of the organization and build some reasonable set-aside for improvement, enacting new programs/initiatives, and for lean(er) times. That pool is a trust that benefits ALL members and anything spent out of it has to be looked at very closely. In this case it is a fee that is, again, PURELY OPTIONAL, very modest, and really shouldn't create any real hardship to those who ELECT to pay it rather than mail it in (only 43 cents--hell, shouldn't your taxes cover that?).

The elected officials in ROAR, by and large, do a LOT of work for our benefit and see very little thanks. I by no means agree with everything that is done--Dawn and I have conversed several times about things I think could be done better. Even butted heads once or twice. The difference is that I always come to the table with an idea on how it could be done differently. THAT is what separates discourse from bitching.

Thanks Dawn, Tim, Chuck, Fred, Doug and everybody else who makes ROAR work for me. ROAR provides a framework for RC racing activities that makes it possible to travel throughout the country and know I can race pretty much where ever I go with possibly only minor changes to motor, etc. Contrast this with another activity I've made this point about in the past--slot racing. Slot racing was HUGE in the '60's, the level of participation absolutely DWARFS anything that's ever been seen in RC. In fact many of the RC "players" come from a slot racing background...Ernie Provetti, Gene Husting, Parma, the Chicherellos, Checkpoint, and many many others. Anyway, no one could agree on any one national sanctioning body so everybody went and did it "their way". Fast-forward 40 years and you'll find that slot racing still exists. It's little pockets of 4-12 middle-aged and older men racing in someone's garage or loft. And you can't travel to race with any of them unless you're willing to build a completely different car because there is no uniformity to the technical rules. Period.

A big part of what ROAR does is provide that framework of rules to make the playing field as level as possible. Approving products (bodies, batteries, motors, etc) for use is a HUGE undertaking and probably the biggest single reason I've been a member of ROAR even when I didn't have to. The product approval side of ROAR is the biggest single benefit we realize from ROAR, but the aspect we least consider.

The insurance is also a huge factor for MANY clubs throughout the country. Yeah commercial entities don't necessarily need it (though I'll explain in a minute why they should have it anyway) but clubs rely on the inexpensive coverage ROAR provides. Four years ago the facility we raced at required the club to provide proof of insurance if we were going to continue to race there. Our club president at the time was an insurance agent. He explored numerous options and came to the conclusion that the ROAR insurance was the least expensive we could do.

Now, why should commercial RC facilities join ROAR and take advantage of the insurance? I'm no expert on insurance and liability, so I'm 100% open to correction if I'm mistaken here, but the facility's insurance doesn't protect me, the average racer, from being sued for damages if my individual actions result in an accident where someone is injured. And when attorneys file suits on behalf of accident victims they take the shotgun approach...anybody who could possibly have had anything to do with the accident is usually named in the paperwork. If you carry an umbrella insurance policy that probably takes care of you, but VERY few people do. Now, if in addition to their regular business insurance the track spent a paltry $35-65/year and required everyone who raced to join ROAR your individual actions would be protected up to the insurance cap. EVERYBODY is covered, not just the track owner. Almost makes those non-ROAR tracks look selfish, doesn't it?

Yeah, these aren't things people who don't really have anything to lose don't think about, and even some who do and should. I guess I've gotten to a place in life where I do think about these things, and I very much enjoy the peace of mind that comes with having myself covered in the event of an accident. Do I let it stop me from racing at a non-ROAR event? No, I maintain an umbrella policy (cost's WAY more than my ROAR membership btw). But I look around with unease at all the people who are not similarly protected.

Anyway, back to the original point. By all means ask questions, but make sure they are framed as REAL questions, not just questioning authority. The ROAR officials are, in my experience, very capable and happy to answer questions that are directed to them.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

look I am new to roar and i sure have learned alot in the last few days. sorry if i hit a nerve with any one. I just don't understand all you think i should understand. and you take your sarcasim about me correcting was an unnecessary post and can shove it. I AM SORRY I PISSED ANYONE I TRIED TO APOLOGIZE BUT I GUESS THAT AIN"T GOOD ENOUGH WELL EXCUSE!!
Old 04-20-2008, 03:55 PM
JKA
Tech Master

look I am new to roar and i sure have learned alot in the last few days. sorry if i hit a nerve with any one. I just don't understand all you think i should understand. and you take your sarcasim about me correcting was an unnecessary post and can shove it. I AM SORRY I PISSED ANYONE I TRIED TO APOLOGIZE BUT I GUESS THAT AIN"T GOOD ENOUGH WELL EXCUSE!!
Whoa up corndog. Its all good. lol
Old 04-20-2008, 04:31 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Scottrik--That is one of the best posts I've seen in a long time. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.