Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
New Gravity Foam spec tire >

New Gravity Foam spec tire

Like Tree402Likes

New Gravity Foam spec tire

Old 12-06-2017, 03:21 PM
Tech Master

I didn't realize that wanting to race some foam tires would have such drastic world wide implications
Antimullet likes this.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I don’t care, I just wanna race.
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:51 PM
Tech Regular

I saw these run last weekend. They were untrued and unsauced. The car looked hooked up and amazing.

I could see people here in Seattle going for them in a big way.
Antimullet likes this.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 157 (100%+)

Foam tires are the only way touring cars should be run on carpet!, always have been the best handling. Rubber tires are to inconsistent on carpet and the spec rubber tires are junk always have been.
That my opinion
Old 12-07-2017, 04:48 AM
Suspended

I haven't posted in here because I am not sure what is best for the hobby and as Gixxer mentioned, I just want to race so it really doesn't matter what the tire is, I'm in. Also, I'd like to point out that some tracks in Italy and I think other areas in Europe are starting to push Foams on TC. So to say this is an American thing only is not accurate.

That said, I ran the foam tires at Indoor Champs with a 17.5 in the round 4 qualy under the alias "Eric Anderson." I did not run foams on my TC at all prior to that run. The only changes I made to setup were based on feedback from others that had run them and what I saw from the mod guys running them. Those changes were:

1) more rear camber (from 2 to 3*)
2) changed from MS6 to LTC
3) geared up a few mm on rollout because I was sure I would need to with the increased corner speed.

I sauced 3/4 front based on guidance from Drew and Paul, and full rear. I don't think traction at Champs was super high, but it was decent. The only time I flipped was off of those dreaded dots/curbs. Even with gearing up I was still under geared. That said, the car was easy to drive and my hotlap was 1.1 second off of Paul's mod hotlap. It was fun - the 5 or 6 minute run was over in a flash. It didn't feel like a full run.

Took them home to 180 Raceway and put them on my car again for 1 practice run. Grip was quite a bit higher at home. I sauced only half of the front this time and made no other changes because I was already running the LTC and honestly I forgot about changing rear camber. We run a spec 13.5 with a fdr limit and I didn't change anything there either. The car did traction roll once on me early in the run without any influence from a dot or a board, but otherwise it was safe and easy to drive to me. Our track is small, so laptimes were only about .2 faster. Being way under geared didn't help with laptimes either. I am sure with a proper foam setup and the right gear, laptimes would be faster and the car would probably be easier to drive. By proper foam setup, I don't mean trued tires and glued sidewalls. I mean the right bars, springs, droop, etc.

I did let a few others try my car that run, Sam Isaacs and Danny Jenkins both ran a few laps. They did not seem to enjoy it as much as I did, but at least they tried it. Maybe in time they would enjoy it, I don't know. I encourage others at my track to try them as well and I am leaving that set of tires out at my track for anyone there to try.

I am not sure what the future of carpet TC racing will be, but it was fun and worth while to try foam I think. Anyone bashing it that hasn't tried it is out of place IMO. The foam is not the same front to rear, so it's much different from days of old. Maybe this nitro foam would be good on 1/12 fronts too, so we can not need to glue those either, IDK. Worth a try I think.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Well said Robbie! Going to test them in a few days, can't wait!
Old 12-07-2017, 06:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

if I may ask...I really don't have any dog in this fight....but why is gluing the sidewall such a pain ?...I personally don't like to do it...but it easy to do and honestly cheap... some CA glue and a Q-tip is really all you need. Yes I see all the new gizmos to help glue them, but haven't most racers already got them...and if you haven't, I doubt a fellow racer wouldn't mind loaning you his.

just wondering
THEBIGBULL likes this.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Its not, people are whiners... Short of driving the car for them there will always be whiners...
KE4PJO likes this.

Last edited by Antimullet; 12-07-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
if I may ask...I really don't have any dog in this fight....but why is gluing the sidewall such a pain ?...I personally don't like to do it...but it easy to do and honestly cheap... some CA glue and a Q-tip is really all you need. Yes I see all the new gizmos to help glue them, but haven't most racers already got them...and if you haven't, I doubt a fellow racer wouldn't mind loaning you his.

just wondering
Chances are it is not as sensitive in VTA. But in TC 0.5 mm can be the difference in pushing and traction rolling. and if you glue a set a little to high....hope you have another set, and if it's limited handout race you may be in trouble.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:10 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by miller tyme
Chances are it is not as sensitive in VTA. But in TC 0.5 mm can be the difference in pushing and traction rolling. and if you glue a set a little to high....hope you have another set, and if it's limited handout race you may be in trouble.
Ive experienced this first hand
Old 12-07-2017, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by miller tyme
I have had this issue as well, but it can be remedied by making the glue very thin and running just a tick more camber if you over-glued your tire.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

Anyone one else with any new setup recommends for foams?
Old 12-10-2017, 06:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Had a chance to try these with out putting tire sauce on a unprepared surface for a few minutes and worked pretty well.
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Antimullet
Anyone one else with any new setup recommends for foams?
I run 13.5 with rubber tyres and 10.5 with nitro foams - both with the same T4 '16 chassis. All I do for foams is wind in an extra 0.5 degrees of camber. Using Ulti 35 fronts (26mm wide) and 38 rears (30mm wide), starting at 63mm diameter.

The is with no additives and with the track generally blown down, but no sugar water added.
Antimullet likes this.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

We have ran a mod tc on black carpet a total of 33min and within that drive time the rear tires have worn down 4mm and the fronts have worn down 1.5mm I wished they were all the 26mm tire so they could be rotated .
Also we have managed to traction roll the car a few times but feel it was from drifting the car thru a corner and hitting a area with more traction (from previous layout ) .
And every time the car traction rolled it chunked a rear tire slightly . fronts still have no chuncks . and after smacking a corner and destroying a front corner of the car it didn't even damage the wheel.
So my thoughts are ;
26mm set with the compound used on front
The class needs to be ran in a way that a set(1) of tires needs to last a racer more than 2 racedays
So noone trues them .
Make this class to where its a 2nd class option only . meaning you have to run another class before you can run the foam class (to insure it don't hurt entries for other classes).
Car is stupid fun to drive but racing them in a club setting will be tough... Even in our 48x96 apex raceway we feel it would be difficult to race in a club mix of talent

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.