Wiki Posts
Search

Li po batteries in your transmitter and reciever

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 07:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Li po batteries in your transmitter and reciever

Are any of you folks using the new Lipos in your transmitters or reciever packs ? I just stuffed 3000Mha ito my reciver box on my SP2 and 2100 in my transmitter , tomorrow I'm going to try out the transmitter when I race my ZX5
Old 01-11-2006, 07:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have tried both and I am currently running the 2400 mah Li-Po pack in my Airtronics M8. The batteries are super light, and I can use my radio for 3 weekends in a row (3 5 min. qualifiers and a 20 min main Every Wednesday and Saturday) without charging it up.

The Li-Po receiver battery is nice, but you definately should pick up the voltage regulator. Also, you may want to play with the weight distribution wherever your pack is placed because the Li-Po's are so much lighter.

hope this helps!
Old 01-11-2006, 09:29 PM
Tech Addict

Who makes a lipo reciever battery?
Old 01-11-2006, 10:38 PM
Tech Master

Vxr makes several receiver batteries and a 2 different voltage regulators.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've got a VXR Tx pack and it rocks! Its only 1000mah, but it last a really really long time. I just charged it for the first time since I bought it today (it wasnt even totally dead) and I bought it well over a month ago. The ultra light weight is going to rock for long nitro mains. I'm going to get a VXR li-po pack for my nitro truck as well.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:48 AM
Tech Regular

As far as running a voltage regulator ? NO WAY !! I run a Spektrum module/tranciever and there is no need ,as it is good for 9.6 volts ,so is the PT , and my steering servo is rated at 416 in/oz. torque at.12 /60' at 7.4 volts DON'T get your fingers in the steering linkage or you will be sorry If you have ever messed with electric powered planes ,you will notice that the power going to the servos can be pretty high , so 7.4 volts really won't kill a good servo any faster , actually low voltage does more damage to them than high voltage does... to a point that is
I managed to get 2 1500 packs in the battery box , so the weight issue is gone , It might be off by an ounce at tops . I love it when I can turn at full throttle
Old 01-12-2006, 03:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Why I don't like lipos vid

Ya'll should see this vid before you stick some lipos in an offroad vehicle...I had a buddy that had one in his mini t and this happened...

Just my nickel
Old 01-12-2006, 05:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by possom813
Why I don't like lipos vid

Ya'll should see this vid before you stick some lipos in an offroad vehicle...I had a buddy that had one in his mini t and this happened...

Just my nickel
Now that's a reason to really make sure you use your lithium batteries properly. However, lithium batteries are in use in all sorts of gadgets today with no cause for concern. Even nicad/nimh batteries can be a potential hazzard when used improperly.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I seent that happen only 1 time at my local track, the guy's buggy just burned right up on the back straight i bout a 2600 mah hump, it is suppose to a little heavier than a regular 1100 mah battey and is suppose to last 5% longer. Havent used it yet, but it should do the trick in my mugen.

http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...?idproduct=304
Old 01-15-2006, 05:48 AM
Tech Regular

I guess you just don't use the wrong charger now do you ? I have the proper chargers for Li po's and I have seen plenty of combat robots with these batteries in them take some serious hits directly to the batteries and nothing happened .... So I feel pretty safe using them Besides , I need the extra oomph for my steering servo as at full load it draws over 5 amps ,regular nimh batts just don't hold up , and besides they are HEAVY !
And for you Mugen guys , you might want to look into the lipos because the car is already heavy ,4-6 ozs heavier than the Kyoshos ? I never weighed any of the others side by side , but I do know it is heavier than the K cars .!
We weighed them with out the tires and full of fuel , just to make things even ,you never know how much dirt can be in them .
Old 01-15-2006, 05:52 PM
Key
Tech Addict

Battery's and idiot proof will never go hand in hand.

Just ask the person who dropped her cell phone and set a gas station on fire. Or ask the guy who had his NiMh short on his graphite chassis and blew his car in half.

Batteries are all very safe if used properly but any product and an idiot can do some amazing things.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

i used to think the same way about lipo's. i used to say i would never use them cause of the risk of them explodeing. then one dai i had a nimh pack blow up so i figured if i was worried about it happening with lipo and it happened with the nima then y not use lipo. and i wont ever look back now
Old 01-24-2006, 03:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Who makes a lipo for a futaba 3pk transmitter,and where can I get one?
Thanks for any help.

Old 01-24-2006, 04:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

VXR Racing does. And TKO carries them!!!! Futaba 3PK/Air M11 transmitter pack
Old 01-24-2006, 05:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

mremtr:

"As far as running a voltage regulator ? NO WAY !! I run a Spektrum module/tranciever and there is no need ,as it is good for 9.6 volts ,so is the PT , and my steering servo is rated at 416 in/oz."

The voltage regulator is to keep the voltage from dropping too low, not from letting it get too high. When li-po cells "dump", their voltages drop very low and this can damage your receiver/servos.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.