Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/10 Touring Car and Gym Floor

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 06:33 AM
Tech Rookie

Default 1/10 Touring Car and Gym Floor

I'm looking for suggestions to creating an on-road course in a local gymnasium. The gym floor is the hard rubber (not polished wood). I few of us tested it out using slicks (on Team Factory TC4 / HPI PRO4) but that didn't work too well. We used traction compound but that's quickly worn off and replaced with a thin layer of dust (and yes, the floor was swept). We also ran a Mini-T (geared up with mod motor, stock tires) and that did hook up well. I thinking maybe rally tires or treaded tires would work well, but not sure.

My questions are:
1.) Is there any one else running a RC race club in a gymnasium and not drifiting?
2.) What are tires/setup ideas and options to hook-up?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Old 12-21-2005, 06:47 AM
Tech Elite

Which country are you in? In the UK there are a variety of Schumacher spiked tyres that work well on gym floor surfaces, but these don't seem widely available elsewhere.

In brief, speaking as a weekly slippy floor racer, the best touring tyres are Schumacher 20mm wide Minipins in Yellow Compound. I use the Schumacher narrow blue foam insert.

The track will need several heats of racing on it even after it has been swept before the dust is picked up and the grip appears.

If you can't get the Schumacher tyres, maybe try a really soft slick tyre or a rally block type tyre.

HTH
Old 12-21-2005, 07:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Each year there is a charity race held in gym here in Canada. The floor is rubberised and pertty much that same surface that you have described. We ran stock 12th scale and stock touring car, both running foam tires. We were not allowed to use traction compund for the race, so it took a while to find a good setup for our cars. Everybody in both classes had to go to a much softer setup on their cars to keep them from drifting.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

We used to race on a floor simalar to that. We used works for competition radial tires P3 compound.

here is a link where you can get them
http://www.hobbyetc.com/cgi-bin/item...#ilikepictures
Old 12-21-2005, 07:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

try coating your slicks or foams with a thin layer of silicone, some brands work better than others, so try a few different brands, also it works just as well on worn slicks as it does on new ones.......
Old 12-21-2005, 07:38 AM
Tech Regular

We race on a rubber running floor at a large sports stadium, have a look here http://www.srccc.co.uk/ ignore the picture of the village idiot on the front page and look in the gallery.

If the surface looks similar, We use Nosram/LRP prebuilt 24's (no addative allowed) once they are run in we have a little more grip than you would expect on tarmac in the uk

Hope this helps
(The village idiot)
Old 12-21-2005, 08:35 AM
Tech Initiate

We use a gym for our racing, boy is it hard however there are a few tricks to get the best out of your car.

Firstly forget about power, this will only hinder you. (i've been using standard tamiya 540's and kicking 19 turns out of the ball park!!)

The 21mm Schumacher yellow compound mini pin's are great.

The set up I use for my JRX-S is:

40wt oil in the front with firm springs, 30wt oil in the rear with softish springs, droop at around 3 deg on the front and about 2 1/2 on the back. 1 deg toe in on the front, 2 on the back, camber all round at 2 deg, also lengthen the wheel base if you can to make the car more stable.

We have used a similar set up with a corally rdx and it seems to work really well on that as well.

This sort of racing is amazing fun though!!!! Just make sure you stay on line!!!
Old 12-21-2005, 08:55 AM
Tech Regular

There should be way more grip on a rubber floor than on a polished wood floor that you would find in a typical gym. Its not the same surface
Old 12-21-2005, 09:13 AM
Tech Initiate

Yeah true there should be more grip on rubberised flooring (shed loads) whats been tried and how did it work?
Old 12-21-2005, 10:45 AM
Tech Regular

Nosram/LRP prebuilt 24's
Old 12-21-2005, 11:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I hate to double post, but I really wanted to thank you guys for all the good advice.

I think between this thread and the other one I started, we have 4-5 different combinations to go back and try out.

Hopefully one of these combinations work, we're going nuts not having a TC track in our area.

scott
ps, We have some fun video's on our site if you guys ever get bored, all RC related.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Wow, what a response! Thanks everyone and what an awesome community of RCers!

To answer a few of the questions, I'm in the US, more specifically Minnesota. We're also looking to do a stock class, possibly mod.

There's certainly enough suggestions here to get me started with some experiments. Tires/car setup/etc. Also thank you for the weblinks, huge help and big jump start!