Wiki Posts
Search

FTX Outback 2 / Absima CR2.4 / Carisma SCA-1E

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

Default FTX Outback 2 / Absima CR2.4 / Carisma SCA-1E

So after trying my first scaler... a Tamiya CC01..i want to buy a new one.

Not after the TRX4 or the SCX10 2...

Something cheap reliable and very good...
So far i found these... I am from Europe so...MST is out of the question.

Opinions...on everything about those 3 rc's or even more in the same price range <200Euros.

The FTX Outback 2:

The Absima CR2.4:

The Carisma SCA-1E:

Old 12-18-2017, 01:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

In the US, if falls under the ECX Brand - distributed by Horizon Hobby.

ECX Barrage-

Kit:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...kit-p-ecx01011

RTR:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...--rtr-ecx01009

Dooms Day:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...rtr-p-ecx01010

*You might look at the Kit version as they made some improvements.
-Motor plate (accepts larger 390 motors)
-Improved Axle design and shock location

Being that it is compatible, you might be able to order JUST the components you need too.

*I have a Barrage and its currently being upgraded. I'll try and post pics soon.

MOmo
Old 01-29-2018, 10:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Sort of in the same boat. I was originally considering the HPI Venture, but I've determined I'm not willing to spend that much since I don't know how much I'll end up liking crawling in the long term.

Here the easiest decent-seeming budget one to get would be the FTX Outback 2. My understanding is that the receiver-ESC-combo is pretty bad, and the servo is of course very weak. I'm thinking a Hobbywing 1060 brushed ESC, a receiver I already have, and also putting in a stronger servo (possibly waterproof just in case, even though it's unlikely I'll be diving into any water). I wonder if there are any absolute musts otherwise to get started with? Really not looking to spend a whole lot.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I looked at the FTX/Barrage style, but I didn't like the fact that it was basically just 1/18 scale components on a chassis lengthened to 1/12 scale. I didn't like it from a durability perspective, and I also didn't like it from a size perspective. Since I have a Bomber as my primary vehicle, I wanted something with enough wheelbase to be able to play on the same terrain.

After looking at the Barrage ilk, I chose a Redcat Gen7 Sport. It was in the same price range ($200), and has proven to be a highly capable, very reliable vehicle for me. Unless you're dead set on the options you've put forward, you may want to look into it as another option.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

The Redcat sure comes with a nicer body shell at least. Too bad no one sells it here.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by tvih
The Redcat sure comes with a nicer body shell at least. Too bad no one sells it here.
I found a shipper on eBay that ships to Finland, $35 for shipping and another ~$68 for Import charges though
Old 02-02-2018, 03:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yep, the shipping and import usually kills it for big packages. Small packages - like just recently my receiver - usually slip through especially if the seller marks it low enough value. Not everyone does that, especially in the US. China/HK usually do at least if you ask them. But for big packages like an entire car, even if it is marked low value customs may get suspicious and open it.

I was actually just watching some crawling videos today and it's hard not to get "enticed" by the better ones, like TRX-4 and the Venture. They just look nicer in terms of construction as well as in driving videos. The Venture is currently on sale at the only seller in Finland that lists it, but even then it is over double the price of the Outback 2. TRX-4 is triple.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Default FTX OUTBACK 2 - 390 crawler motor

The FTX CRAWLER OUTBACK 2 is a 1/10 scale with an 390 motor. As there is no gear shift possible, it is to fast for real crawling action. A 540 crawler motor doesn't fit (baseline is not conceived for any modifications).

Is there any 390 crawler motor, something like 50t or more? Didn't find any information. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi anybody know what size the shocks are on the FTx outback 2 ie 85mm 90mm eye to eye? { new member} thanks ����