Wiki Posts
Search

Trackside Pack Management

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 08:33 AM
Tech Regular

Default Trackside Pack Management

Whats up Gang, got a prob
Here's the hardware. GP3300's Integy 16X7 Pro.
Here's the prob
When i get to the track and charge packs for the first time in a day it usually takes about 40 mins and the packs come off with a ton of punch and runtime(great!!!!) Once i run them the first time I take them off the car, set em up for a 20A discharge(max for the 16X7) and discharge them(takes about 45 secs.) Then they cool on a fan for about 1.5-2 hrs. With me still? Now when I charge them for the second time in the day, it only takes about 15 mins and when they are back on the track I get lousy punch and lousy runtime (charge at 5A by the way). The packs are really new and I've taken great care in the way they are stored and everything. Any input on what I might be doing wrong?? I know that GP3300's are supposed to be dis'd at 30A but I don't see how that can be the problem. Hit me back, it's much appreciated!!!!!
KEVIN
Old 03-20-2003, 08:58 AM
Tech Master

they are false peaking on that second charge
Old 03-20-2003, 09:42 AM
Tech Regular

Why wouldn't the packs false peak on the first charge of the day????
Kevin
Old 03-20-2003, 09:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by hicheef
Why wouldn't the packs false peak on the first charge of the day????
Kevin
That's not really the point. The point is "did they false peak?" In my experiences with NiMHs (Panasonic 3000s, SMH, Sanyo 3000 and 3000HVs) they can false peak at any time. I only bring 3 packs to the track with me to race Stock all day plus practice. It's not logical that they should false peak after a successful charge but it does happen. NiMHs, in general, get better on their second charge of the day. I've never used 3300s so it could be different. I've never done a 3rd charge on my NiMHs but I hear they work really well then but at the expense of diminished lifespan.
Old 03-20-2003, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Default False peaking Duck

From my limited experience with NiMh sub-"C" packs. Usually it is the Frist charge of the day that will false peak.
Make sure your charger is not bringing the voltage down too far during the discharge cycle.
I would just keep hitting the charge button until it's time to get ready for your race. Getting the Pack nice and warm, will reduce the IR of the cells. (I have several Friends that do this all the time with their 3000NiMh's)
Old 03-21-2003, 01:09 AM
Tech Elite

From my experience with NiMh, if they are discharged too deep, they have to rest a night or so, to take charge without false peaking.

So I'm equalizing them down to 0,6 volt each cell, the night before a race/practise day. On the track I discharge them at 10 amps down to 2,5 volt. No cooling privide, since I believe in they dont like too fast temperature changes.

Between race/practise days, I let them have approx. 10% charge in them. I never store them for more than 2 weeks, without a cycle every 2 weeks.