Search
Like Tree84Likes

Schumacher Mi1

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 12:02 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi again,
I'm not sure what is the number part for the AE springs. I found:
- Part #: 3946 FT Copper Spring, 25.0 lbs. Is this the right one???
- Part #: 3952 FT Purple Spring, 30.0 lbs. Is this the right one???

Thanks again!
Fran

Originally Posted by cementsurfer86
The only real difference between the two was rear toe and spring rates.

> Increase rear toe to 3mm per side
> Increase camber to 2 deg. all around
> AE Copper springs in the rear
> AE Purple springs up front

That made for a drivable car, although depending on layout and grip levels, you may want to play with springs a bit more.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:04 PM
Tech Adept

did any one ever post some pics of the v2?
can you use the battery tray in v2?
Old 01-27-2015, 03:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by fran_28x
Hi again,
I'm not sure what is the number part for the AE springs. I found:
- Part #: 3946 FT Copper Spring, 25.0 lbs. Is this the right one???
- Part #: 3952 FT Purple Spring, 30.0 lbs. Is this the right one???

Thanks again!
Fran
Yep, those are correct. They may feel ridiculous-stiff, but with the shocks so far in on the Mi1, they work like a charm. (Those springs were designed around cars from that era - early 2000's.)
Old 01-28-2015, 05:18 PM
Tech Master

Yep, those are correct. They may feel ridiculous-stiff, but with the shocks so far in on the Mi1, they work like a charm. (Those springs were designed around cars from that era - early 2000's.)
Will those spring s work on a high grip asphalt large track outdoor on hot days in Florida
Old 01-28-2015, 05:22 PM
Tech Master

Will the mi1 handle 17.5 stock tc class. Or is that to much? I could go vta 25.5 with it not sure which class i want to put this car in yet. Still building on it.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 5th wheel
Will those spring s work on a high grip asphalt large track outdoor on hot days in Florida
They should. I ran exclusive carpet with mine, but high-grip outdoors should be close. I'd maybe try a rate or two softer, then work up from there.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 5th wheel
Will the mi1 handle 17.5 stock tc class. Or is that to much? I could go vta 25.5 with it not sure which class i want to put this car in yet. Still building on it.
It will handle 17.5 fine, just won't be the fastest car in the field. 25.5/21.5 is, to me, really where this car shines best.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

Ok thank you for your help and input. My friend said the same thing about 17.5 class. Just wanted to get your thoughts on it. So I might move to vta with this car. And try the mi4 lp for 17.5. But I need to finish the mi1 first thanks again.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi Jesse and everyone!
I've just ordered the parts to replicate your mod (the one you describe in your blog). I've ordered 4 copper springs, 1 spool, 1 pair of Mi4 Cvs, grey belts. Unfortunately the threaded body shocks are out of stock.
I race on carpet, do you think 4 copper springs would be a good setup?

Thanks,
Fran

Old 01-30-2015, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

Hi Jesse and everyone!
I've just ordered the parts to replicate your mod (the one you describe in your blog). I've ordered 4 copper springs, 1 spool, 1 pair of Mi4 Cvs, grey belts. Unfortunately the threaded body shocks are out of stock.

Thanks,
Fran
It really depended on grip level to me. I ran Coppers all-round at on one race night, then I'd switch the next night, or per round as the grip comes up.

Having said that, I would usually start with all coppers and change from there.

As far as the shocks go, Tamiya units will fit right on if you don't want to mess with the stock Schui shocks. Just use Tamiya ballstuds and a long ball cup on the shaft, and you're good to go. (On the top, you'll want to run a screw through the back of the shock tower with spacers and a ball-nut to get the correct spacing.)

Last edited by cementsurfer86; 01-30-2015 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Shock comments.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:03 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks again. I'll keep on using Schumacher stock shocks for now (the non threaded ones) although adjusting height with those plastic spacers is something I really hate.
Now it comes the big question: everyone at my local track run 10.5T brushless motors. My problem is that only own a 5.5T (right now with 86T spur gear, 23T pinion, 17T pulley). It gives a 7.90 ratio. Of course, I know I'm overpowered with the 5.5T, which makes it worse because my local track is a carpet indoor circuit, not very big. I'm thinking about gearing it down to 10 ratio or similar. But gearing it down would really help me? I mean, indeed, the car would have less top speed (which I don't really need, I can't use it in my track) but the increased acceleration but make the car undriveable and may break some parts?
It is really surprising for me that racers use less powered motors such of 21T or similar. Don't we want to race as fast as possible? I tried a colleague 10.5T equipped car, and it was easier to drive but I found it less powered than my 5.5T Schumi.
Any advice?
Thankssssss,
Fran

It really depended on grip level to me. I ran Coppers all-round at on one race night, then I'd switch the next night, or per round as the grip comes up.

Having said that, I would usually start with all coppers and change from there.

As far as the shocks go, Tamiya units will fit right on if you don't want to mess with the stock Schui shocks. Just use Tamiya ballstuds and a long ball cup on the shaft, and you're good to go. (On the top, you'll want to run a screw through the back of the shock tower with spacers and a ball-nut to get the correct spacing.)
Old 01-30-2015, 09:09 PM
Tech Adept

It is really surprising for me that racers use less powered motors such of 21T or similar. Don't we want to race as fast as possible? I tried a colleague 10.5T equipped car, and it was easier to drive but I found it less powered than my 5.5T Schumi.
Any advice?
Thankssssss,
Fran
some times slower is faster
mi1 is known to be a be a beast with lower turn motors
our track use 13.5 but a few guys like using 17.5 instead, with just as fast lap times
Old 01-31-2015, 03:36 AM
Tech Initiate

I agree, Urban, to have a super powered motor doesn't mean to have the fastest lap. I've seen guys in the circuit running really fast with less powered motors. I'll buy a 10.5t since everyone at my local club uses that motor.

Originally Posted by urban
some times slower is faster
mi1 is known to be a be a beast with lower turn motors
our track use 13.5 but a few guys like using 17.5 instead, with just as fast lap times
Old 01-31-2015, 03:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Hello again! Sorry for asking so much, but I'm just a beginner with a lot questions in my mind!!!!
I just discovered reading webpages about Rc shocks that there is something called REBOUND. I didn't know about it. So now my question is: using the 4 coppers how much shock rebound should I set????

Thanks again,
Fran

Hi Jesse and everyone!

Thanks,
Fran
Old 01-31-2015, 08:10 AM
Tech Adept

Hello again! Sorry for asking so much, but I'm just a beginner with a lot questions in my mind!!!!
I just discovered reading webpages about Rc shocks that there is something called REBOUND. I didn't know about it. So now my question is: using the 4 coppers how much shock rebound should I set????

Thanks again,
Fran
it dont matter what spring you use to set your rebound. most onroad guys setup there shocks with 0-20% only

with motor info. with most race tracks they have rules on what motor you can use for different class's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.