Wiki Posts
Search

Team Losi 8IGHT 2.0 1/8 4WD RTR Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 08:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Team Losi 8IGHT 2.0 1/8 4WD RTR Buggy

I'm sorry if there is a post on this unit already.

My question is; Does anyone have any experience with this? I've been pricing out the cost of getting into 1/8 scale outdoor racing and this look pretty good on the surface. Once I look deeper I notice that the servos look pretty weak. Would this be an opinion or would cost of upgrades equal a better buggy + engine + servos + start box?
Old 02-26-2010, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

It all depends on your experience level. If you are new to racing or new to nitro they make a difference. 1/8th scale nitro is fast, but can also be picky if you don't have experience. For someone new to racing, it is a good deal since it comes with everything. Yes, the Servos aren't the best and it is not the highest quality race engine, but are adequate to start with. The thing to remember here, is that for a new guy, having the strong/fast high end servos & motor are not neccessarily the best idea since it can move faster than you can keep up with it. So, having slower servos to start with is good, and you can get used to how to set the end points correctly before doing it incorrectly with expensive servos and as get better then replace them. Also, with motor, learning how to properly tune a nitro motor can often lead to early failure of the motor as you learn, better to do that with an entry level motor than an expensive one.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by phisher
I'm sorry if there is a post on this unit already.

My question is; Does anyone have any experience with this? I've been pricing out the cost of getting into 1/8 scale outdoor racing and this look pretty good on the surface. Once I look deeper I notice that the servos look pretty weak. Would this be an opinion or would cost of upgrades equal a better buggy + engine + servos + start box?
i have a friend (i race with often) who started out with a rtr losi 8 2.0 ..this is by far the BEST rtr and bang for the buck ...he is still racing it this year ..the 350 mtr is the best rtr motor i have seen period ..it gets good longevity adn good run time and is relitively east to tune ...the start box is decent and his is going on 1-1/2 years ...as long as you keep the batteries charged in it ...it works just fine ...also the dx3s radio is good ..and plenty enough radio for most ..and recievers are plentiful if you decide to run other cars off of it ...as you said the servos are weak ,,they will need to be replaced soon after purchase ...i think if you buy everything seperate you will be well over the 1000 mark ..its a good vehicle for an rtr ...the best ive seen for an rtr ...also there are very few parts that are different from losis race roller
shock towers , chassis, diff cups (note the gears are all the same but the diff cups are the heavy duty variety which is not a bad thing ) , and shocks

this means at any time you wish or as parts wear out you can pick up a few race roller parts off ebay adn in the end you will have a race roller ..but the rtr parts are not bad at all ....hope that helps
Old 02-26-2010, 08:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

For the cost of the vehicle and all you get with it, it is the best RTR package on the market today. It gives you a very solid platform to build off of and can be competitive out of the box. The servo's are a bit weak and I would recommend replacing them as soon as possible with some Hitec 7955TG's but other then that it's great.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This RTR is the best bang for the buck. As with ANY RTR the electronics they put in will NEED upgrading. But if you want to get in to this hobby at a decent price then this is it.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm the guy Zixxer is talking about. I love my RTR, though it's not an RTR any more since I have upgraded everything of significance (no Ti Nitride shafts, but everything else). I think it's the very best package to start with. It's a strong buggy (except for the aforementioned servos) and I have yet to have my 350 flame out during a race. I'm going on 4 gallons on the 350 I have on my buggy now but I have 2 other 350s. Yes, I bought 350s even after the fact. It's a great motor for me. I have had countless times where I'll come to a straight and drag race guys with other motors and I stay right with them. The only loss is the run time, it's not great but if you wanna run the motor in the 250 range, you can get 9 min or so out of it depending.

I've won a race with it (sportsman class level racer) and done quite well in others. If you are looking at the Losi 8ight 2.0, you can't go wrong with the RTR. If you already have a radio and receiver, you can sell the DX3S for about $150 or so and the same goes for the box. Then you can use that money on servos. If you need everything, you just need to pick up some decent (I run a Hitec 7955 on steering and a DS1015 on the throttle) servos. If you have any specific questions about the buggy, I'd be glad to answer them for you.

You can't get a much better buggy for the price and you will be pleased if you go this route.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The losi 2.0 RTR's are by far the BEST way to get into 1/8 scale nitro racing. Everything is included and ready to go. Like others have said, the servos are really the only weak point. They aren't great, but should last you a while at first. Upgrading the steering servo and switching the stock steering servo to throttle is also a very good option. You can get a hitec 7955 for around or under $120, and considering everything else that comes with the buggy, you still have a GREAT deal. The radio and engine of the RTR are solid. The included starter box is up to the job, and used by many top racers. It's certainly the best way to get into racing.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:59 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the responses. I'm not new to racing (been running 1/10 indoor touring car) but I would be new to outdoor 1/8 scale racing. This kit might be a good place to start for the price as I don't have a starter box and other 1/8 racing odds and ends.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Buy one. You wont regret it. I raced a 2.0 RTR with upgrade servos (DS1015 and DS1313) the last half of last year and ended up winning 2nd overall in a sportsman buggy class at VRP Hobbies and Raceways. Beating out some REALLY nice Race Rollers.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:14 AM
Tech Regular

BTW.... so you know what upgrades a RTR to a Race Roller: I "upgraded" my rtr to a race roller with EVERY part that is different. Here is the list:

TFT Chassis <---Worthy Upgrade
Shock Towers <---Looks better, is lighter, maybe a little stiffer, worthy upgrade
Metal Shock Caps <---Worthy Upgrade after the plastic ones start to oval
Nitride Coated Hing Pins all around. <---I could tell no difference
Hinge Pin Braces (different metal) <---Not Needed
Shock Shafts (Nitride Coated) <--Not Needed
Wheels (Yellow Color) <--Not Needed
Wing (Black Color) <--Not Needed

Everything else is the same.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:18 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks Matt, I will take your suggestions.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Also the RTR comes with the Heavy Duty Diff Cases and the roller only comes with the standard. LOL Don't ask me why Losi did that.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shanty140
Also the RTR comes with the Heavy Duty Diff Cases and the roller only comes with the standard. LOL Don't ask me why Losi did that.
Actually the standard are better in my opinion. The HD cases have 4 metal inserts to hold the gear shafts and that just adds weight to the diff. I had one get a hole in it when a rock got stuck and I replaced it with the standard.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:52 AM
Tech Regular

Oh yeah, I forgot about those. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jared52
Actually the standard are better in my opinion. The HD cases have 4 metal inserts to hold the gear shafts and that just adds weight to the diff. I had one get a hole in it when a rock got stuck and I replaced it with the standard.
+1

The HD cases are SUPER heavy compared to the standard cases. Not something a racer desires.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.