Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free style RC10GT

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 09:02 PM
Tech Regular

Default Free style RC10GT

Hello I have a rc10gt RTR. I want to turn it into a purpose built freestlye truck. There is a couple big BMX parks around my city and I want this truck to be able to handle these big jumps.

My question is, What kind of set up would I need for doing big jumps, What shock oil? What springs? ( I also have 4 traxxas big bore shocks from a emaxx that I could use for this project if those shocks would be better to use?)

I know the truck is going to take a beating from the jumps so I know I am going to have to upgrade the rtr equipment like turnbulkles and ball cups, Any thing else I am going to have to upgrade?

Thank Ryan
Old 12-18-2005, 09:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Red springs all around, maybe a blue in the back instead. 50 oil in the front #2 piston, 40 oil in the rear #1 or maybe #2 piston. Shocks mounted at outside hole on bottom of arm all the way around. Mounted in middle holes up top. Really you don't need that hard of a setup but I'm guessing you just want to jump as high and as far as you can right? If that's the case just go reds all the way around on the springs. Set of step pins rear, blades in the front. Long wheelbase in rear as well. Hope you have cvd's, and set your ride height pretty high. Oh yeah, pick up some traxxas captured ends (the smaller ones not the tmaxx ones)to go on your lunsford turnbuckles. I'd say ae ft blue turnbuckles but the lunsfords have a replacement guarantee. You'll probably want to get an aluminum tranny brace off ebay as well. Don't lock the slipper tight as you may strip your tranny gears, either that or don't land with the throttle on. Don't bother with any big bore shocks. Just make sure your gt shocks are bled properly or you'll blow the seals on big jumps.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

RPM front bumper, arms, and radio box, titanium turnbuckles.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:29 PM
Tech Regular

Ya I want to jump as high and a far as possible Thanks for the set up advise I start getting the parts tonight when I go to work.

Later
Old 12-20-2005, 01:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Dirt jumps or cement bmx park?

If you are about to say dirt jumps i must warn you, that if those were my trails, id probably have your head. The time and dedication it takes to make such trails is like that of building an R/C car from scratch, you want perfection. Ive had a few cases of people by me doing what you are talking about and the results werent pretty. Have some respect for the locals.

But, If you build them, or they are abandoned, all the power to you.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:45 PM
Suspended

Default RC10GT are junk get a Losi XXXNT

I'm not trying to Dis you, not in any way but AE their products are marketed to people who know very little about racing. and the RC10GT is a poorly desinged truck if you wanna worth it's money nitro truck I suggest the XXXNT by Losi if you build your truck from kits like I do then get the AD2 kit it's the same truck but with hoped up racing parts good luck.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by twalker701
I'm not trying to Dis you, not in any way but AE their products are marketed to people who know very little about racing. and the RC10GT is a poorly desinged truck if you wanna worth it's money nitro truck I suggest the XXXNT by Losi if you build your truck from kits like I do then get the AD2 kit it's the same truck but with hoped up racing parts good luck.
Go to radio shack for your next car man. I read your thread. Normally I try and help guys like you. But I don't think you're worth the time. If you like to build your kits, why'd you get an rtr gt instead of the FT kit? Do you race at all? How many losi kits have you built? How old are you anyway? There's no need to go around bashing AE b/c you don't have the skills to not break your toys. AE and losi are both top of the line vehicles elec and nitro.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

ATTN MODERATORS- GET RID OF THIS ASSHOLE - THIS PERSON IS TRYING TO HURT THIS HOBBY BY BASHING ASSOICATED; NEW AND VETERAN RC'ERS DON'T NEED TO HEAR ABOUT THIS. I THINK WE UNDERSTAND THIS IS A PUBLIC FORUM, BUT THIS IS CRAP, THIS GUY NEEDS TO GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE SO OTHERS THAT NEED HELP CAN GET IT IN A POLITE AND TRUTHFUL MANNER FROM PEOPLE THAT HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR A FEW YEARS, NOT DAYS.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:02 AM
Tech Regular

WTF? READ THE POST Did I say I was racing? I wanted to use a my GT for jumping things because it is one of the most realiable rc trucks I have ever owned. In my opion AE is one of the best companies out there.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Do us all a favor and keep this uneducated, uninformed BS to your own thread!! You have no idea what your talking about. Granted the GT is an older design, but it is still more than competitive (just look at its winning record at most current BIG races). Just because you had poor success with your GT dosen't mean that you should be bashing it on every thread on the site. Associated vehicles are designed to be very agressive in the handeling department and require a bit more set-up to be easy to drive. Losi's are designed to be more forgiving to make it easier for most racers (unexperienced and seasioned vets) to drive. I personaly race AE and do not like the lazy feeling of losi. And by the way, I've been racing for 18 years so I do know what I'm talking about.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:36 AM
Tech Master

I don't understand how the RC10GT has a poor design. Is it because you don't like the shape of the chassis? It doesn't look as good as the Losi? or you just completely don't know anything about nitro trucks and have never owned an RC10GT? If AE products were solely aimed towards the new and if Losi is so good in your opinion, then why is AE currently taking more 1st place positions then Losi?

Now, as for a Freestyle RC10GT, use all RPM components (a-arms, ballcups) use heavier springs/oil and maybe even bigger tyres like Masher 2000's. You could also double up on the shocks if you wish.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Default losi vs rc10gt

hey everyone im bryan from new to the forum.
i was reading what the t walker guy said, now ive been in rc for a long time now. and currently race a losi xxxnt and also a rc10gt. and i have to say i would almost be wiliing to bet 20.bucks that the rc10gt is gonna withstand the punishment longer than the xxxnt. good luck in you build and i hope to see pics of it soon.
the rc10gt is not a poor design.lets just say team associated kept the begiiners rc people in mind when they designed the rtr models and made then more durable than what u would see in the kit version and the same with losi.
but durability hands down goes to the rc10gt
Old 01-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

You may want to try tires like the Imex Jdawgs, I had great luck doing super big jumps with them. They also had much better traction than the Masher 2000s ever did.

Agreed on everything else, get RPM everything and lunsfords all around.

Make sure you really secure your receiver pack as well that way you don't get a runaway on a really bad landing.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:16 PM
Tech Rookie

i just recived all new rpm
A-arms
rear bulk head
reciver box
body clips thingys
and ball cups tommrow im goign to take it out and basha nd see how well it durablyty is