Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X >

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Old 03-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I found this photo on the Tamiya website. It's the 416X chassis of one of the factory drivers.

I'm looking specifically at the carbon fiber piece used as a battery brace. Looks like a custom piece to me. I wonder where I could find a sheet of carbon fiber?
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-416x-.jpg  
Old 03-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Geppetto
I found this photo on the Tamiya website. It's the 416X chassis of one of the factory drivers.

I'm looking specifically at the carbon fiber piece used as a battery brace. Looks like a custom piece to me. I wonder where I could find a sheet of carbon fiber?
I use 2 pieces of K&S aluminum square tubing that you can buy at most hobby shops, the tube is about 2.5mm thick and I have it run the length of the chassiss from the motor mount to the servo mount. Its just shoe gooed in and when you use 2 of them side by side it will move your Lipo battery out to the edge of the chassiss, almost perfect, for weight balance. It makes it really easy to tape your batteries in and there is no chance of them moving into your belts.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
I use 2 pieces of K&S aluminum square tubing that you can buy at most hobby shops, the tube is about 2.5mm thick and I have it run the length of the chassiss from the motor mount to the servo mount. Its just shoe gooed in and when you use 2 of them side by side it will move your Lipo battery out to the edge of the chassiss, almost perfect, for weight balance. It makes it really easy to tape your batteries in and there is no chance of them moving into your belts.
Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, others have suggested using lead weights.

I just like the clean, near factory appearance of the carbon fiber.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Geppetto
Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, others have suggested using lead weights.

I just like the clean, near factory appearance of the carbon fiber.
Nice thing about my method is you'll never knock a weight off from a side hit. Some guys that do this paint the tubing black to blend in with the chassiss, it also gives proper belt clearance if you do the belt flip mod on your car. Of course the CF is a nice piece too.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Nice thing about my method is you'll never knock a weight off from a side hit. Some guys that do this paint the tubing black to blend in with the chassiss, it also gives proper belt clearance if you do the belt flip mod on your car. Of course the CF is a nice piece too.
I just had an idea... I could use your method, and cover the tubing on the exposed sides with CF decal. It would certainly cost a whole lot less, yet still look good!
Old 03-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

How often are you guys having trouble with your batteries moving? I have never had my battery shift, nor has my tape ever broken. It doesn't seem like much of an issue to me.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by M-Technic
How often are you guys having trouble with your batteries moving? I have never had my battery shift, nor has my tape ever broken. It doesn't seem like much of an issue to me.
Not a problem for me either, but I have one Lipo pack that has a dent in it from being t-boned, and it was a hard enough hit that it bent the aluminum bars I mentioned above. It probably depends on how your mounting your stuff as well, if your using a lipo plate and double side tape or if your packs have the locator bumps, and of course how far out your trying to move the lipo for balance.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Locator bumps seem to be a bit out of favour with the manufacturers at the moment, but I never had a problem running my old 28C SMCs without them. Just make sure you file the tape slots real good and you wont have a problem

I just picked up my smokem chassis today. It feels slightly thicker than the stock chassis and it has less cutouts so I'm expecting it to be a bit stiffer out on the track, it looks the business though and I love how narrow all these lipo decks are
Old 03-23-2010, 11:07 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by CraigM
I just picked up my smokem chassis today. It feels slightly thicker than the stock chassis and it has less cutouts so I'm expecting it to be a bit stiffer out on the track, it looks the business though and I love how narrow all these lipo decks are
i got mine yesterday, and it looks really nice, the chassis is 2.25 mm so its a little thicker then the stock one.

steven
Old 03-23-2010, 11:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by StevenOlsen
i got mine yesterday, and it looks really nice, the chassis is 2.25 mm so its a little thicker then the stock one.

steven
I too received my smokem chassis today , can't wait to test it tomorrow. Got the steering brace too. Please advise if you encounter any adjustments or setup changes.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
Locator bumps seem to be a bit out of favour with the manufacturers at the moment, but I never had a problem running my old 28C SMCs without them. Just make sure you file the tape slots real good and you wont have a problem

Pics please
Old 03-24-2010, 12:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stein Tumert
For asphalt, HPI blue, silver and gold springs

You can throw HPI Pinks into that mix too, as they sit between Silver and Gold

HiH
Ed
Old 03-24-2010, 01:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Cant seem to find the part number for the HPI spring cups and shock ends needed to run the HPI springs. Can any one shoot me the number?

Thanks a million,

Kody
Old 03-24-2010, 01:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Never mind my post above... Found it. 73510
Old 03-24-2010, 03:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ijat
Thanks malkiy.. does it fit nicely into 416we? or do i need any modification on the bearing housing or bulkhead?

i heard that the front one way set for DB01 can also fit into 416we. does anyone can confirm on this?
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=54017
Ijat..

macam mana?? dah test ke oneway diff tu??
ok ke?? brape kalau nak beli??
ko dari mana?? kalau free pm laa aku!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.