Search

FlySky Radios Spektrum Glitching Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default FlySky Radios Spektrum Glitching Issue

FCC Update FlySky GTB3

I was finally put in contact with the FCC engineering department that handles the technical issues regarding interference.

They were very helpful and seemed to have figured out what the problem is with the FlySky GT3B system.

They went through the testing and approval paperwork on the FlySky GT3B and based on the milliwatts that the radio is approved for, the operating distance should be about 50 feet. They were shocked to find out that the range is dramatically higher than 50 feet. Obviously these radios work up to several hundred feet and the FCC assumption is that they are operating at a higher power level than what they were tested and approved.

Part of their FCC compliance for FlySky or other radio systems is to not cause interference with other 2.4ghz equipment.

The 50 foot operating distance would be equivalent to the cheap RC toys that are sold at Target ect....where you lose contact of the vehicle due to such a limited range.

The bad part is that I don't think that the FCC can do anything regarding stopping the problem unless people report issues of interference with the FCC.

It would be good to get the info out to the RC community as this issue of FLYSKY rc radios showing up at races is happening more and more. Which could result in marshals possibly getting hurt as the car that is getting interfered with loses controll during the glitch, plus the potential to the cars being damaged from the interference of the other radio system.

The FlySky does not get glitched by other radio systems, Spektrum, Futaba, KO ect...as they work properly and don't cause interference of other radio systems. The Flysky user gets to use a radio with zero interference issues at the expense of causing other radio systems possibly being unusable when their radio system is being used.

Regardless of cost of a radio system if Spektrum or Futaba glitched other systems they would under scrutiny at a race due to the problems that would result.
What is the solution if a 2.4ghz radio is causing interference with another 2.4ghz radio? Who has to stop racing for the day, they radio user causing the interference or the user who’s radio is being interfered with? One of the two racers day will be wrecked.
If you have had an issue with a 2.4ghz radio glitching another radio please call the FCC and provide the details of the problem.

FCC: 1-888-225-5322

Below is a list of FLYSKY ground transmitters and their FCC ID number and also a link to the FCC paperwork.

FCC ID Number: VPOFLYSKYGT3B
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...OFLYSKYGT3B%27
FCC ID Number: VPOFLYSKYGT3
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...POFLYSKYGT3%27
FCC ID Number: VPOFLYSKYGT2
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...POFLYSKYGT2%27
FCC ID Number: N4ZFLYSKYGSGT2D
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...LYSKYGSGT2D%27
FCC ID Number: N4ZFLYSKYGT2
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...4ZFLYSKYGT2%27
FCC ID Number: N4ZFLYSKYGT2B
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...ZFLYSKYGT2B%27

Feel free to cut and paste this info to other RC websites and forums.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Tech Elite

Has anyone actually measured the power output of one of the radio's?
Old 06-28-2012, 03:16 PM
Tech Master

I have a big problem believing that a 50+ foot range is causing a problem. If this were the case you wouldn't be able to have 2.4 aircraft transmitters as these models are constantly controlled from 300+ feet away with no interference issues.

As for the glitching I have a fly sky system that does get glitches from another radio. the other radio has no issues. I have also never glitched another system.

Apparently you didn't do much racing in the old am and fm days or you have forgotten. Its not really a big deal. Simply identify which users are affected and work together throughout the race day so only one transmitter is on at a time. We used to walk the drivers stand or flight line asking about who was on what frequency. Yeah it sucked when 4 people were all on the same channel but we made it work and there was no added danger to anyone. Sure 2.4 is great but it has spoiled a lot of people. No sense in starting a fcc uproar just because of a couple of glitches. Remember the fcc is government. Instead of investigating the issue they will just shut all of us down to a 20 foot range. Just deal with it.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Lots of people here use Flysky. I have one and an Airtronics. I've never had any issues with either and I've never had anyone complain that mine was giving them problems. The only time I've ever heard of problems was with Spektrum users. It sounds more like a Spektrum problem rather than a Flysky problem. Since the Flysky is a quarter the price, I see no reason to change and won't.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

It sounds like maybe the Flysky was approved for a low wattage, which maybe has a less stringent standard?? The FCC site is a little hard to figure out. I'd like to see the same documents for Futaba, Ko, etc, just to see if they are 50 ft. I tend to think they might be rated for more power, but then maybe ground equipment is lower power? I know futaba plane equipment doesn't work with the ground equipment. Anyway, I haven't seen any cheap radios hit anybody... yet.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Tech Elite

Spektrum radios are the ones getting hit. It's the non frequency hopping technology it uses. Plus it has been tested that the 2 frequency it locks onto are too close together. When that area of the 2.4 band is noisy the Spektrum gets hit. This has been report to Horizon Hobbies. This is why they came out with DSMX (frequency hopping) but too bad for surface users its only available to the air radios.....for now.

At my track there are complaints of Futaba interferring with Spektrum radios yet my Futaba has not been hit by a Flysky.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

well since this was posted here and in radios and electronics i figured I would reply to both
with this link http://www.spektrumrc.com/FAQ/tm.asp...terference&#72
Old 09-10-2012, 10:46 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

We have had as many as 10 plus guys using the FlySky radios at our indoor track never since they came out has anyone ever had the problems as described above. Anything is possible but we have never had this issue. This is for both our oval program or offroad program. So far the FlySky radios have been working perfectly overall with no one glitching because of them.

Maybe the track has a bad batch of them or a few racers have received ones that are not working properly but never seen this problem before because of FlySky.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wyd
We have had as many as 10 plus guys using the FlySky radios at our indoor track never since they came out has anyone ever had the problems as described above. Anything is possible but we have never had this issue. This is for both our oval program or offroad program. So far the FlySky radios have been working perfectly overall with no one glitching because of them.

Maybe the track has a bad batch of them or a few racers have received ones that are not working properly but never seen this problem before because of FlySky.
Same for The Gate in Cleveland. We have a large contingent of 1 18th scale guys using these. I've heard no complaints of spectrum users having any more glitching than normal.